Druitt Soldier

Team Captain
Oct 30, 2013
Parramatta, NSW
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Detroit Red Wings
Not long till the Auckland kicks off the NRL season footy fans. Can't wait to see how this goes. And I thought I'd just make this thread to see what everyone else is thinking about it.

I don't know about anyone else but I am actually excited to see Fitler line up agaisnt the Roosters. I just hope that the Chooks are actually taking it seriously. But regardless of how much he might get smashed its going to be good to relive some great child memories of seeing one of my favourite players hitting the field again.

I hope it goes well because I think this, or something like it, is just what we need to compliment what we already have.
Yea I agree completely. Its going to be a really fun couple of days. I've already told the Missus I'm completely booked that weekend. Will be by the pool with beers with Foxtel blarring in the background for a whole two days of footy.

Yea I agree completely. Its going to be a really fun couple of days. I've already told the Missus I'm completely booked that weekend. Will be by the pool with beers with Foxtel blarring in the background for a whole two days of footy.

What I'd like to see is, to follow this up with a World 9s most likely on the Gold Coast. Would certainly be a huge boost the code up there at a time where they may (or not) need it.

Id love to see it cement itself in auckland for a few years and then see it begin doing a one year in nz one year in aus thing. and get it going all over the country. its going to be such a huge thing to see stars from every team taking to the stage on the same day.

Half a dozen coaches aren't even going to it and most clubs are sending weakened teams. That's not showing how big something is nor how big it could get.

Why we did away with the All Stars game for this event is beyond me.

Half a dozen coaches aren't even going to it and most clubs are sending weakened teams. That's not showing how big something is nor how big it could get.

Why we did away with the All Stars game for this event is beyond me.
because no one really cared about the all stars game. for the season opener it had very little interest. i personally enjoyed the all stars game. but im in the small majority.

Think it's a better, more exciting concept than the All Stars game.

When is this? What teams aren't sending coaches/are sending weakened sides?

Haven't had a chance to see much around this weekend.

Here's our 9's strip:
mgsllY6VXLCW8_PdF7yF7Fw.jpg

Think it's a better, more exciting concept than the All Stars game.

When is this? What teams aren't sending coaches/are sending weakened sides?

Haven't had a chance to see much around this weekend.

Here's our 9's strip:
mgsllY6VXLCW8_PdF7yF7Fw.jpg

Looking good. I cant wait to see what the Roosters come up with

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 9's will be interesting to watch. Especially as I assume most of the players will have never played it so teams will be figuring out tactics as they go. I've never actually seen a 9's match myself so I'm interested to see how it's played.

Sounds like the first tournament will be a big success in terms of crowd numbers etc - and if they create the same party atmosphere of the Wellington 7's that would get people coming back. The test will be how it's going in years 2, 3 and 4. Interest in the world 7's declined, same with the All Stars match. Pre-season events that teams don't take completely seriously can be a bit of a hard sell.

It doesn't necessarily have to mean much more than a great party with some entertaining footy. The prize money on offer will mean at least some teams will take it seriously.

And in NZ there is a market for these sort of tournaments already given the success of the Wellington 7's. And this event has a lot more money behind it. I think it'd be harder start up in Australia where 7's (for both codes) hasn't really been embraced to anywhere near the same extent.

The 9's will be interesting to watch. Especially as I assume most of the players will have never played it so teams will be figuring out tactics as they go. I've never actually seen a 9's match myself so I'm interested to see how it's played.

Sounds like the first tournament will be a big success in terms of crowd numbers etc - and if they create the same party atmosphere of the Wellington 7's that would get people coming back. The test will be how it's going in years 2, 3 and 4. Interest in the world 7's declined, same with the All Stars match. Pre-season events that teams don't take completely seriously can be a bit of a hard sell.

It doesn't necessarily have to mean much more than a great party with some entertaining footy. The prize money on offer will mean at least some teams will take it seriously.

And in NZ there is a market for these sort of tournaments already given the success of the Wellington 7's. And this event has a lot more money behind it. I think it'd be harder start up in Australia where 7's (for both codes) hasn't really been embraced to anywhere near the same extent.

Its going to be very interesting to watch. I really enjoy the Rugby 7's. It's great to hang out with mates and have a look every now and then at whose playing now. Its great for having a punt too. Even if its just a tipping comp with mates over for a bbq. Thats what I plan for the day. Me and all my mates all go for different teams so we'll be able to spend all day giving it to someone. Laugh at whoever follows the overall losing team and hate on the ones that make it to the finals.

I am very excited to watch these games.

And the money alone will be enough to keep it going. THe prize money for the teams is a great incentive, however the profit made from this is going to be phenominal.

Lets say that 20,000 people by a beer an hour at $8 a beer. The comp goes for about 7 hours, so thats $1,120,000. And that 20,000 people is a very small number compared to how many will be there. Not to mention that they will also be buying food and merchandise as well. And then they get to come back and do it all the next day. The money made is going to be enough to keep it going for years.

Back