Aussie Leapai WBO #1 and MANDATORY!!

Remove this Banner Ad

I notice even though they have elevated Leapai to #1, they are treating the mandatory status as a separate matter and voting on it. Hope the vote goes Leapai's way, but there is no guarantee.

I notice even though they have elevated Leapai to #1, they are treating the mandatory status as a separate matter and voting on it. Hope the vote goes Leapai's way, but there is no guarantee.

What can i say......ive said it.

The WBO appear to have officially decided Alex Leapai is Wlad Klitschko's mandatory.

Leapai & Klitschko now have 30 days to negotiate the fight, or it will go to a purse bid.

So all going well, unless Wlad Klitschko's vacates the WBO belt - which is most unlikely - he will fight Leapai next.

https://twitter.com/WorldBoxingOrg

Hey Dan. How many have you crossed off my list so far?

Wish i could be so accurate with my footy picks...

green_tick_small.jpg
First he becomes mandatory.....have faith.

? The Wlad says yes....have faith.

? Fight happens in QLD...have faith.

Mark 'em off over the next few weeks.

...will do.

Hey Dan. How many have you crossed off my list so far...

Heard the date being targeted for Wladimir Klitschko’s defense against Alex Leapai is March 8th. The Klitschko camp want to stage the fight in Germany. But it sounds like the Leapai camp are looking to stage the fight in Australia.

If no deal is agreed to by January 3rd, a purse bid will be held, with a minimum bid of $1 million required.

ALEX Leapai's multi-million-dollar world heavyweight title fight against champion Wladimir Klitschko could be fought in Australia thanks to a Russian billionaire looking to expand his interests.

Russian promoter Vladimir Hryunov yesterday announced that he was entering negotiations to stage the biggest fight ever involving an Australian.

Hryunov, backed by the vast wealth of Moscow property tycoon Andrey Ryabinsky, won the rights to stage Klitschko's last title defence against Russian Olympic gold medallist Alexander Povetkin in Moscow's Olympic Stadium two months ago. He paid Klitschko $US17.2 million and Povetkin $6 million.

Hryunov told German reporters yesterday that he wanted to stage the Leapai fight in either Germany or Australia. Another Russian billionaire David Traktovenko, owner of the Sydney FC football club, has also expressed an interest in the fight.

Leapai, a humble delivery driver from Logan, is now a good chance to earn the biggest purse ever paid to an Australian boxer, surpassing the $5.4 million Kostya Tszyu earned in losing his world light-welterweight title to Ricky Hatton in Manchester in 2005.

...Leapai, a humble delivery driver from Logan, is now a good chance to earn the biggest purse ever paid to an Australian boxer, surpassing the $5.4 million Kostya Tszyu earned in losing his world light-welterweight title to Ricky Hatton in Manchester in 2005.

That is serious coin!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Waterhouse has Wlad Klitschko $1.01 and Leapai $14.75.
wow. put a ton on ALEX. Wlad has a soft chin, he's been ko'd 3 times. Alex has excellent power, loves tall fighters. A hundred on Alex at those odds is worth it.

You think Wlad wont be distracted by his brother becoming a pollie in the middle of the crap going on in the Ukraine? Meanwhile Alex is in better shape than at any time in his career, with 3 months left to go. focus. I know who has it.

wow. put a ton on ALEX. Wlad has a soft chin, he's been ko'd 3 times. Alex has excellent power, loves tall fighters. A hundred on Alex at those odds is worth it.

You think Wlad wont be distracted by his brother becoming a pollie in the middle of the crap going on in the Ukraine? Meanwhile Alex is in better shape than at any time in his career, with 3 months left to go. focus. I know who has it.

If Leapai did happen to win it would be one of the biggest upsets in boxing history. Would stand alongside upsets like Buster Douglas beating Tyson.

Well if it was ever going to happen. April 26th is the day

****en hell, that's the biggest odds disparity I've seen ever. Good on him for getting a shot, going to be a tough night at the office you'd think.

The odds are reflective of the way people in the game see this fight. One after another the Klitschko's have made fodder of a division that has offered very few top quality fighters over the past 10 years.

All Leapai can do is his level best to get inside that extremely long reach of Wlad Klitchko's and try and knock his head off his shoulders. Many have tried. Nearly ever last one have failed.

Well if it was ever going to happen. April 26th is the day
The ANZAC irony is not lost on the Leapai camp.....if Wlad don't go backwards, (he will have to for the first time in his career) it will be in the trenches. Alex is MADE for the trenches....

First time Alex has been able to train full time without working 8 hours a day. He has doctors, physios, strength conditioners etc, etc, etc, as well as quality sparring from big heavyweights.

He is the fittest he has ever been, easily. And there is still, 3 months to go...!!

Just watching some videos of this Leapai guy and my GOD does he ever hit like an absolute freight train. Honestly though, I don't like his chances against Klitschko.
Klitschko is just too big, too technical, with too much reach.
This is not to say Leapai can't win, because anybody with that kind of power in their hands is never out of a fight until the final bell rings, but I wouldn't put money on it. After watching some of his fights, he's not a particularly technical fighter and he doesn't have much in the way of head movement. For him to have a chance against Klitschko he's gonna have to get inside on him early and often and make him feel his power. If he can't get inside and Klitschko can keep him at a distance he's just gonna pick him apart and either earn an easy decision, or finish him off in the later rounds when Leapai runs out of gas. Leapai is gonna need to be willing and able to eat a few shots on the way in in order to deliver one of his own. He can't afford to get into a technical boxing match with Klitschko because he's just too good. Leapai needs to get inside and turn this into a brawl and take Klitschko out of his comfort zone and make him realize he's in a war right from the opening bell. If he can do that, he has a chance to shock the world. If not, Klitschko is gonna put on a boxing clinic.

Just watching some videos of this Leapai guy and my GOD does he ever hit like an absolute freight train. Honestly though, I don't like his chances against Klitschko.
Klitschko is just too big, too technical, with too much reach.
This is not to say Leapai can't win, because anybody with that kind of power in their hands is never out of a fight until the final bell rings, but I wouldn't put money on it. After watching some of his fights, he's not a particularly technical fighter and he doesn't have much in the way of head movement. For him to have a chance against Klitschko he's gonna have to get inside on him early and often and make him feel his power. If he can't get inside and Klitschko can keep him at a distance he's just gonna pick him apart and either earn an easy decision, or finish him off in the later rounds when Leapai runs out of gas. Leapai is gonna need to be willing and able to eat a few shots on the way in in order to deliver one of his own. He can't afford to get into a technical boxing match with Klitschko because he's just too good. Leapai needs to get inside and turn this into a brawl and take Klitschko out of his comfort zone and make him realize he's in a war right from the opening bell. If he can do that, he has a chance to shock the world. If not, Klitschko is gonna put on a boxing clinic.

Very good summary. Leapai is a complete outsider with only a vague puncher's chance of causing what would be one of the biggest upsets in boxing history.

Would take on Rocky proportions if Leapai won.

April 26th is shaping as a huge night for Australian boxing. Alex Leapai meets Wlad Klitschko for the world heavyweight title in Germany, and same night Lucas Browne challenges for the commonwealth heavyweight title in England.

Alex is going to go through Wlad, quicker than the Russians through the Crimea...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back