lloydbraun

Team Captain
May 22, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Who remembers this game? The very first (at least I think it was) AFL video game on the old nintendo entertainment system, and in my opinion superior to any AFL video game out there, it's easier to handle and how can you beat that rugby looking guy with the flat head with his "Out of Bounds"+"Out of Bounds on the Full".

All future afl games should look closely at this game for inspiration.

(I assume i'll be laughed out of bigfooty forever for this one)

no, you are very much on the money. still great fun to play. simple controls, and the goal kicking accuracy must be replicated in future afl games, stop the line in the middle of the other line. love the quarter and half time three quarter time reports too.

When i was 5 i used to go to the video store and rent this game every week.. then that store closed down and i never saw the game again. Last year while searching through the web i came across a website advertising NES Roms.. i checked it out and low and behold there was Aussie Rules Footy.. downloaded it and still get a kick out of it.. not the same as the old days but still gold

Out of bounds... on the full.

Great memories...

There was a cricket game on the Super Nintendo that was pretty good too. After every ball you could press the 'HOWZAT!' button and more often than not lbw would be called.

I still have it on my old NES, she still works
If i could say something against it though is that you have to play against a friend for it to be fun, the computer is far to easy to beat.

Scorpio said:

Great memories...

There was a cricket game on the Super Nintendo that was pretty good too. After every ball you could press the 'HOWZAT!' button and more often than not lbw would be called.
Yeah they were my fav. 2 games along with battletoads, one of the few games you could play 2player on same screen.

Every time i hear 'out of bounds, on the full' i fall in love with that little pixelated man just that little bit more.

I am quite terrible at the game but it amuses me to no end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scorpio said:

Great memories...

Ahhh super international cricket.

Nothing like spamming the howzat button after every ball is bowled

Used to have the best head to head rivalries with my mate down the road.

Remember how you could still kick the ball on the run a good second or so after the siren went?

In one of those looooooooong four man seasons with a couple of squibs from next door who were no good at anything on the NES (yeah, you know the ones ;)), said rival beat me in the inevitable dream Grand Final by running to just outside the 50m arc and kicking it home after the final siren went to win the game 4-6 (30) to my 4-3 (27). The scoring meter had only just appeared as a solitary line.

After 14 or so years I'm still bleeding at that result - and I sh#t you not, after that game in Launceston, the first thing I thought of was putting in my own appeal. :D

dyertribe said:
In one of those looooooooong four man seasons with a couple of squibs from next door who were no good at anything on the NES (yeah, you know the ones ;)), said rival beat me in the inevitable dream Grand Final by running to just outside the 50m arc and kicking it home after the final siren went to win the game 4-6 (30) to my 4-3 (27). The scoring meter had only just appeared as a solitary line.

I never understood that, when the scoring meter just appears and is a single line it should be a goal everytime really.

Yeah four player seasons were loooong, 6 player ones must take all day

Anyone know if you can download it and play it on your pc if so where.

I assume emulators etc may be needed

What a classic! This was the reason I got a NES and even got into console gaming wayyy back..still got it!

My problem was not having anyone to play against!

Would love to see this re-released on the new Nintendo console (Wii) with the Virtual Console service..dunno what the chances would be though.

Jay

RoosterLad said:
I'd say 0 jayw which is a shame.
I never had a NES but my best mate in primary school did and i was pretty jealous of the bastard...
Yeah...I was thinking that also considering it being a third party...can't remember who by.

Just played it on that weblink, remember how bad I was at it! hope my outcome isn't prophetic of this weekend... Adelaide - 114 Essendon - 7! lol :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back