Remove this Banner Ad

Fuzzy Happy Poo

All Australian
Jul 11, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Flyers, 76ers, Eagles, Phillies
I am in america at the moment on an exchange program. so im spending a semester at a high school in america and it is quite an experince. Ive had a couple of weeks of people saying g'day mate and asking how are aussie sheilas. Also people confusing my accent to british to which I just respond saying thats so offensive ya bloody yank.

But anyway when people ask if I play any sports and I say aussie rules they dont understand even australian footy. I have to say australian football to which they say thats rugby right? No. Oh is it soccer?
And then I face the hardest time of trying to explain the game to them.

I live with a host family and I showed my host father a game of footy and he quite liked it. I then found something called usafl, united states australian football league. I contacted a guy from the team closest to me and went to a training session which he said was actually a casual kick to kick with a few guys. So I went and met him and no one else turned up I think because it was labour day but we did have little kick to kick and discused that aussie rules could be bigger in america with more exposure and that they are trying to get it like how rugby is over the next few years.

Do you think this would be possible? Could we be getting some good americans in the afl?

Also something thats crazy is thr amount of attention on school sport. I went to my high school football game because thats what everyone else was doing and there was so much people watching they had pre game stuff like a marching band and cheerleaders and half time entertainment. You could buy all different t shirts saying the highschool on it scarves in the high school colours. An "active supporters area."
So yeah thats kind of different

I am in america at the moment on an exchange program. so im spending a semester at a high school in america and it is quite an experince. Ive had a couple of weeks of people saying g'day mate and asking how are aussie sheilas. Also people confusing my accent to british to which I just respond saying thats so offensive ya bloody yank.

But anyway when people ask if I play any sports and I say aussie rules they dont understand even australian footy. I have to say australian football to which they say thats rugby right? No. Oh is it soccer?
And then I face the hardest time of trying to explain the game to them.

I live with a host family and I showed my host father a game of footy and he quite liked it. I then found something called usafl, united states australian football league. I contacted a guy from the team closest to me and went to a training session which he said was actually a casual kick to kick with a few guys. So I went and met him and no one else turned up I think because it was labour day but we did have little kick to kick and discused that aussie rules could be bigger in america with more exposure and that they are trying to get it like how rugby is over the next few years.

Do you think this would be possible? Could we be getting some good americans in the afl?

Also something thats crazy is thr amount of attention on school sport. I went to my high school football game because thats what everyone else was doing and there was so much people watching they had pre game stuff like a marching band and cheerleaders and half time entertainment. You could buy all different t shirts saying the highschool on it scarves in the high school colours. An "active supporters area."
So yeah thats kind of different

email the club, or maybe lukem can assist, to get the whole school kitted out in pies gear.

youll be famous :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back