Aust Football Manager (Coming out in 2014)

GH213

Club Legend
Sep 11, 2013
Gippsland
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond VFL
They need to team up with a bigger production company and just make a new prem coach ... this new one looks crap, they will never get the funds and it will probably only get to the stage in development where its as buggy as pc10 v1 coz they will be broke .... they need a controlling share with a company that has money rather than relying on fans for marketing and development. Just bite the bullet to give us what we want rather than making us all take a risk by "investing" in a game that may never make it past a matchday sim ... after pc11 i had high hopes and everything was llooking positive from a games point of veiw ie was getting less buggy and crashing less but then nothing. Poor form and just a tease imo ....

HappyRed

Club Legend
Aug 21, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
They need to team up with a bigger production company and just make a new prem coach ... this new one looks crap, they will never get the funds and it will probably only get to the stage in development where its as buggy as pc10 v1 coz they will be broke .... they need a controlling share with a company that has money rather than relying on fans for marketing and development. Just bite the bullet to give us what we want rather than making us all take a risk by "investing" in a game that may never make it past a matchday sim ... after pc11 i had high hopes and everything was llooking positive from a games point of veiw ie was getting less buggy and crashing less but then nothing. Poor form and just a tease imo ....

Someone has never designed games. Coming from someone who has experience in the area.. You have no idea what your talking about dude. The customer base expected for this game is quite small. Most big companies (Which we have a lack of in Australia anyway) will take a project like this one, especially without a nice big CV of successful games (measure by income not quality) and since this game is barely been touched in in development makes it even more difficult to investors.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Someone has never designed games. Coming from someone who has experience in the area.. You have no idea what your talking about dude. The customer base expected for this game is quite small. Most big companies (Which we have a lack of in Australia anyway) will take a project like this one, especially without a nice big CV of successful games (measure by income not quality) and since this game is barely been touched in in development makes it even more difficult to investors.

Getting a good Australian Rules Management game out is going to be a long shot.

It's like the perfect storm.

- A niche sport in a country with only 20 million population, albeit very popular in the one country it's played
- A niche genre within the video game market.
- A very complex sport with 36 players on the field which makes coding a realistic gaming engine very hard

Over the years Footy Fanatic, Total Aussie Rules and Premiership Coach have been good attempts but all have had plenty of bugs which have not been able to take the games to the next level.

flaps

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2009
Ballarat via Melbourne via Hobart via Albury
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Albury Bandits, Orlando Magic

- A niche sport in a country with only 20 million population, albeit very popular in the one country it's played
- A very complex sport with 36 players on the field which makes coding a realistic gaming engine very hard

Over the years Footy Fanatic, Total Aussie Rules and Premiership Coach have been good attempts but all have had plenty of bugs which have not been able to take the games to the next level.

What about Kevin Sheedy's AFL Coach 2000? :p

Dec 12, 2009
Barkly St
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Seagulls, Kookaburras

You're probably right - which is unfortunate.

Australian Football would translate very well to the Football Manager model.

In fact, given our game is so difficult to mimic in a game sim model (big field, lots of players, lots of potential actions, all within milliseconds), I'd say our game is better suited to the Football Manager model than the game sim model.

Just a thought.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
In fact, given our game is so difficult to mimic in a game sim model (big field, lots of players, lots of potential actions, all within milliseconds), I'd say our game is better suited to the Football Manager model than the game sim model.

Probably but it's still unlikely the market is there an FM style game for Aussie Rules.

Despite FM's success, the sports management video game market is fairly small. Eastside Hockey was succesful for a period but is now defunct. Football Mogul and Baseball Mogul also does well, but both those sports are stop start games which are much easier to code for. And all four sports are far bigger globally than Aussie Rules.

Pretty much the three best attempts at a game have all said it's set them back countless hours with not much return unfortunately.

Gyroscope_182

All Australian
Mar 12, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Love the idea,

But there is no way I trust my money going into a project like this without seeing anything just yet that suggests that it is going to happen.

I am either going to put big money in or none at all!!!

Jan 8, 2008
United Arab Emirates
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
The people making this game looking for crowd funding have absolutely no ******* clue on how these work. No one is going to pledge $50 for the game, especially when there's no information or actual work done. Look at any kickstarter, they all have their game tier set at $20 so there's very little risk for the consumer if the game turns out to be bad. On top of that, there isn't a huge market for this game so setting the price at $50 is a criminal mistake. No one who may have a slight interest or sitting on the fence is going to think "oh gee, better put in $50; what a bargain!"

Back