Australia A Tour of India (July and August 2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

There are hardly any draws in Test cricket any more, it's not like everyone has to increase their strike rate to manufacture a result. There should be room for all types in Test cricket, including the patient accumulator.

Bancroft should head to New South Wales ASAP, they'll be a baggy green waiting there for him, yes, I went there.
Oh I get it. Its because NSW have the best systems in place to develop young talent and therefore Bancroft will be more likely to get a baggy green because he will be a better player under NSW's guidance. Good thinking Alcred ;)

wtf is this obsession with strike rate. firstly teach our batsmen some composure and game management then worry about strike rates and rr. This thought process about high RR is soo ruddy stupid. No wonder the batting line up is soo prone to collapses and major fk ups. if a batsmen has the mentality that if he stays in for most of the day then one way or another he will score enough ruddy runs. this is some glenn maxwell school of thought bullshit. no wonder he's such a fk **** in test cricket. at least we now know why. i hope bancroft plays even slower just to piss of stuart law and all thee other people who want high sr and rr. fck em all.
Strike rate is important in terms of telling you how a batsman plays. Rotating the strike is essential in Test cricket, it's the batsmen who keep things ticking over who succeed. Personally I think 40-45 is a pretty ideal strike rate for an upper order Test bat (Dravid struck at about 42). Bancroft strikes at 39 in FC cricket, which is a little worrying since against your average state team you can generally rely on a boundary ball an over. To me, a low strike rate in FC cricket usually indicates a batsman who shuts up shop against the good stuff and scores off the poor stuff.

Trouble is you get very little poor stuff at Test level, so you have to be able to work the singles on quality balls. If you can't you get stuck at one end, and at Test level that's suicide. No matter how good you are defensively, Test bowlers will get you out if you give them time to work you over. Khawaja has shown that numerous times when he's been picked.

I don't need my Test batsmen to score quickly, but I do need to know they can reliably score against all kinds of bowling - pace, spin, good, bad. That usually translates to at least a moderate strike rate at FC level.

Last edited:
Strike rate is important in terms of telling you how a batsman plays. Rotating the strike is essential in Test cricket, it's the batsmen who keep things ticking over who succeed. Personally I think 40-45 is a pretty ideal strike rate for an upper order Test bat (Dravid struck at about 42). Bancroft strikes at 39 in FC cricket, which is a little worrying since against your average state team you can generally rely on a boundary ball an over. To me, a low strike rate in FC cricket usually indicates a batsman who shuts up shop against the good stuff and scores off the poor stuff.

Trouble is you get very little poor stuff at Test level, so you have to be able to work the singles on quality balls. If you can't you get stuck at one end, and at Test level that's suicide. No matter how good you are defensively, Test bowlers will get you out if you give them time to work you over. Khawaja has shown that numerous times when he's been picked.

I don't need my Test batsmen to score quickly, but I do need to know they can reliably score against all kinds of bowling - pace, spin, good, bad. That usually translates to at least a moderate strike rate at FC level.
Promising signs for Bancroft over the last season or so, but I wouldn't be penciling him in for anything just yet. Jordan Silk is essentially in the same boat, he just had a breakout season earlier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aust A batting v India A in Chennai, three changes for Aust with Zampa, Sandhu and Lynn in for Boyce, Agar and Handscomb.

Aussies off to a bright start 0-77 after 13 overs; new Bulls captain Usman Khawaja was 41 off 41 and Joe Burns 28no

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/892963.html

The keeper has dropped two catches so far, and apparently got Khawaja "out" but didn't appeal for it.....

It's not interesting. It's an A series, they want to PLAY everyone, it's not like a test or odi where they need to win every match.
Yeah, I guess. I didn't realise they had Ferg on this tour, keeping him ahead of Handscomb just seems strange to me tbh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back