gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Thread to discuss Australia's poor results on the dry grassless wickets of the sub continent and to get people's opinions on the matter.

First of all I'll give my opinion and it starts from the top and goes all the way down to the bottom.

1. Our attitude.
Australians see dry, grassless dusty spinning decks and we carry on how it's cheating, unfair and it shouldn't be blah blah blah. Firstly I don't agree. Both teams play on the same wicket, the wickets are consistently like this so we know what we are facing before we pick a squad and get on the plane. Teams from the subcontinent come out here and play on fast, grassy, green bouncy decks that can crack and are extremely pace friendly, it's the same disadvantage out here for them as it is to us over there. I'd hate to see all wickets the same, every ground should have it's character, it's what makes the game so interesting and unique. If the wicket is safe to play on, gets to the 4th day and ends in a result it's a good test wicket. We need to learn to accept it and embrace it.

2. Our domestic Competition.
When we go over there we go in blind, we don't know who is suitable to play in these conditions, if we want to have success over there we need one of our grounds a spinning fortress. The SCG used to be a real spinning venue but this isn't really the case anymore. What domestic players can bat/bowl on dry, low, spinning decks? Who knows.

3. The selectors.
They don't seem to realise that it's a different game over there. At least now they are half trying to pick more applicable teams. The problem is that they are putting far too much emphasis on players domestic statistics which really is fairly irrelevant.

We realise we need extra spinners. We pick Lyon as our locked in spinner and O'Keefe because he has the best domestic record. This is never going to work. Lyon is an over-spin bowler, he gets bounce and dip rather than drift and spin which again suits our bouncing wickets fine but not wickets that don't bounce. He doesn't get wickets in the last innings and in the sub continent because of this, no bounce. O'Keefe did ok but... These batsmen grow up facing and eating bowlers like this for breakfast. Our finger spinners have no variation. These guys are used to spinners who have variation like a doosera. our finger spinners are not threatening at all. Lyon doesn't even have a straight sliding ball!

Yes we need a finger spinner because they are useful and can bowl a lot of overs and get a few wickets but we should never never never go to the sub continent without a wrist spinner.

We have decent wrist spinners in Australia, we won't play them. Fawad Ahmed, Adam Zampa and James Muirhead would all have done better in the sub continent than any of the bowlers selected in the squad to play Pakistan. You don't need to be a big turner of the ball or take a load of wickets in Australia's domestic comp, just have to be able to land it and bowl the odd slider and/or wrong-un. None of the subcontinent spinners turn the ball out here but clean up back home. Kumble, the 3rd greatest test bowler ever wasn't a big turner of the ball, not for a leggie. Yasir Shah is a good bowler but I don't think he's a lot of different to our Leggies. He took 7 wickets in the first innings. He wouldn't do overly well in Australia, I don't think he'd do any better than the guys I have mentioned. I think it says it all when Steve Smith who is a genuine part time wrist spinner is looking the most dangerous out of all our bowlers.

We're getting taught a lesson, but I doubt we are learning, too stubborn and stuck in our ways, too scared to play a young legspinner.

Don't play two finger spinners EVER! A finger spinner and a wrist spinner is the recipe for success in the subcontinent.

Ignore Fawad Ahmed, Adam Zampa and James Muirhead's domestic statistics. They will turn it over there and be much more difficult to play, they won't get smashed like they do at times here, pick a guy who can land them and bowl a few variations. They will do twice as good over there in the test arena as they will in Australia's domestic comp.

4. Our Tactics/Captaincy/Bowling/Fielding.
Firstly Michael Clarke is a very good captain on pace friendly wickets. Wickets that have grass, bounce and provide sideways movement. All out attack, bowl fast, get a bit out of Lyon who is a bounce bowler rather than a turner of the ball. That's fine but over there it's only applicable for the first 10 or so overs. Firstly there's not a lot of bounce or speed so slips, keeper and short leg aren't much use after 10 overs. The seam is grinded off the ball by the 10th over or earlier so there goes seam movement and swing. Eventually you might get a bit of reverse swing or roll a finger over a ball and get it to cut but that is all that is there for the quicks.

Clarke's aggressive fields and straight attacking bowling are set for edges/bowled/lbw which won't come through lack of sideways movement and bounce. Yes we should attack and set an orthodox field for the first 10 overs because the new ball does a bit but after that is when we have to change.

What we are doing wrong
Bowling too straight, attacking the stumps too much and giving the batsmen too many easy 1s and 2s. Sub continent batsmen are very good off their legs generally. We're failing to put pressure on the batsmen and force false/bad shots. We're bowling too inaccurately and not to a plan that will work over there. Clarke has shown he has no idea over there, needs to study how cricket is played over there and how fields are set and bowlers bowl to them. Should talk to Gilchrist who seems to get it. We're trying too much, showing very little patience, trying to force wickets rather than letting them come.

What we should be doing
1. Set an aggressive field and bowl full and straight in the first 10 overs.

2. After this play boring, long, drawn out low scoring cricket. Don't fear the draw. Defend strongly to attack. Stack the off side (A slip, gully, point, heavily loaded covers, mid on and mid off etc). Bowl a foot outside off stump, get the batsman driving, test their ability to cut, build loads of pressure, bowl a lot of dots and force a false shot. Get the batsman reaching for the odd wide one, tempt them to hit the wrong ball through a vacant mid wicket, test the batsman's patience to leave. These guys can work off their legs all day. Eventually the batsmen will find himself not scoring enough and be forced to score with risk. A genuine battle of patience, it what won us a rare series win in india when Gilchrist implicated it. Our bowlers will need to be disciplined and skilled enough to vary their length, pace and bowl a few cutters.

3. Reverse Swing. Thought we'd see it more. If we do this is when we can try bowling straight but with a heavily stacked onside, still got to cut off the ones and twos.

4. Finger spinners, less men around the bat, it's not bouncing, more men saving ones and twos, build pressure, force a big shot, have a man out at cow/mid wicket for the slog.

We can't let them score as quickly as we have, given them far too many ones and twos, have failed to set fields that get batsmen caught in front of the wicket. Failed to get batsmen driving in the air.

Batting
Looked to have shown a lack of patience, not sure constantly charging the spinners is a really good idea. Like Warner's dashing at the start but out middle order has been dreadful. Warner plays the ball on it's length very well and is good on the back foot which is a reason for his success. We aren't good enough on the back foot generally, their batsmen look to play spinners on the back foot a bit when they can whereas Australian batsman tend to be front foot first. They really watch it off the wicket and pick the length up much better than us. We look to try and hit it harder than they do, we're going for boundaries, they are happy with ones and twos. We're also ordinary at sweeping.

When you go over there you have got to grind teams down and play abit defensive. Clarke didnt have much of a captaincy record until Johnson got hot.

I reckon our leg spinners would get carted.
If Steve Smith went as well as he did then surely the full timers would do better, not that smith went that well but he didn't get smashed as badly as some while bowling a lot of lose balls, he still looked dangerous and created a lot of chances.

I think if you can do well bowling legspin in Australia's domestic comp, you must have something to offer on the dry grasless turning wickets. Ahmed 3/83 in the first innings yesterday, an experienced bowler, should have been taken over there, would have been more dangerous than any of our bowlers.

You make some very good points.

Though I think we have attempted to employ a defensive strategy with our pace bowlers. In terms of bowling an accurate line I think Johnson, Siddle and the under-bowled Marsh have generally achieved this, but there's just been no threat whatsoever of a wicket being taken. If we had a dangerous spinner, it would result in a lot more doubt being created in the minds of the Pakistani batsmen.

Have to give a lot of credit to the batsmen though - Shehzad, Azhar, Younis and Misbah have been absolutely exemplary in their patience and ability to cash in once set.

You make some very good points.

Though I think we have attempted to employ a defensive strategy with our pace bowlers. In terms of bowling an accurate line I think Johnson, Siddle and the under-bowled Marsh have generally achieved this, but there's just been no threat whatsoever of a wicket being taken. If we had a dangerous spinner, it would result in a lot more doubt being created in the minds of the Pakistani batsmen.

Have to give a lot of credit to the batsmen though - Shehzad, Azhar, Younis and Misbah have been absolutely exemplary in their patience and ability to cash in once set.

Yeah, it's all very well to bag our pace bowlers, but it's the lack of a spinner putting pressure on the batsmen that's the real problem. I think our quicks have done the best they can in the conditions: be patient, keep it accurate, don't concede too many cheap runs. But the batsmen know they don't need to take any risks against Mitch or Siddle or Starc....they can just "sit on" our pacemen and wait to cash in when Lyon and Co come on to bowl.

We lack spinners in this country because we dont give them a chance to shine
We grow up on pitches that dont spin
We dont use spinners well enough
We try to cart them growing up in the nets
Then we bemoan the fact that we dont have spin quality at the highest level, and also that our batsmen are hopeless against them
Instead we carry on about spinning conditions like its a conspiracy
There is nothing better than watching batsmen and bowlers battle it out on a spinning wicket

Our batsmen don't have the technique to handle quality spin, especially on turning or low wickets.

And yet Lehmann comes out and says a more aggressive approach is the answer.

How can you be more aggressive against spin if you don't have the technical requirements to play it adequately in the first place?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lots of difference between Aussie Spinners and Spinners from Asia, big reason why our local spinners generally do better here than touring spinners and vice versa.

Our spinners are more over-spinners and sometimes put more revolutions on the ball but lack variations. Particularly a guy like Lyon. Their spinners turn the ball over there but don't always but a heap of revolutions on the ball, mainly because they don't have to to get turn, they also bowl with a heap of variations and accuracy.

Over-spinners rely on getting bounce because topspin creates bounce and uncertainty of length, on pitches that don't bounce this becomes irrelevant. Asian bowlers tend to sacrifice revolutions for variation and accuracy I find. Guys like Kumble, Singh and Muralitharan didn't turn it much out here like guys like Warne and McGill. For memory their records out here were modest but they were dynamite over there, subtle hard to detect differences made them dangerous, hard to pick and play.

Our spinners have no nous, Lyon especially, forget the talk, Lyon has just 1 ball. This means batsmen can play him easily and slog him to all parts because they know what ball is coming. Smith is a genuine part timer, bowls too many bad balls and doesn't really have much of a wrongun, slider or flipper which makes him a bit hittable though the leg spin factor makes him a little dangerous. O'Keefe mixed up his pace and got the odd one to come on straight, would be more effective on dry spinning decks.

Our spinners need variations, particularly in the direction of the turn and accuracy to prevent them from getting slogged and to keep batsmen relatively in their shells.

When selecting a spinner for over there we need to ignore the bounce factor and put more emphasise on the variation and accuracy factor.

I don't think spinners that suit Asia are going to make it far in Australia as our higher level wickets favour spinners who are accurate, put plenty of spin on the ball and get bounce by bowling with over spin and can keep runs to a minimum. Creative bowlers who spin it both ways but don't turn it a lot or get much bounce may struggle to make it here. We need to trust our leg spin bowlers, generally they come with variations and can turn it.

The great West Indian sides used to bowl and stack the field one side of the wicket and bored the opposition out. That's how the quicks should approach it

One of the keys would be to have a really great spinner. Make no mistake no country would be setting dry, dusty spinning tracks if we did. That's where having Warne was a bonus. Allowed the fast bowlers to play on easier pitches for them. Even then India was tough but we managed even if only once. Would've been twice if Steve Waugh didn't make them follow-on in 2001.

Batting needs to be more patient. Marsh went well in the second test, as did Smith and Warner. Pity Clarke was underdone but generally we had little idea and weren't consistent.

Generally only our great side of the 2000's did any good in the sub-continent, the others have been getting pumped there for 40 years. Same for sub-continent sides over here, they get pumped because their spinner don't play our conditions well. Works both ways.

The way Boyce bowled tonight would have been dangerous over there, good wrongun accurate and gives his stock ball a rip. Need an off-spinner who gets more side spin/drift than the overspinning Lyon and can bowl really accurately and can bowl with a bit of variation such as a straight one and changes in speed. There's nothing wrong with a spinner like Boyce, especially on dry wickets. We'd be mad not to take a leg spinner to England as well.

Perhaps when it comes to quicks we should be looking into some of our better limited overs bowlers. Pick a few quicks who can bowl on the spot ball after ball, have a good change of pace and can be just plain boring. Guys who can bowl long spells too. Siddle should be able to do this but hasn't got many surprises. Starc bowls far too many bad balls. Johnson isn't too bad but works in short spells. Perhaps a Faulkner would be handy, his slower ball might draw a drive in the air, can bowl accurately and bats well. A good medium pacer with a few tricks like Watson has proven he's an excellent option on dry wickets. Absolutely true that we need to set fields loaded to one side of the wicket and be boring, force them to score, try and get them to hit in the air.

Batting wise having a dasher at the top of the order is a big win for us, Warner was extremely successful, go after that ball while it's hard. Middle order need to be better, we're desperate for a number 3. Our batsmen have an ability to score quickly but lack an ability to dig in, score steadily and selectively and be difficult to get out. Where are all out batsmen who are good off the back foot gone! Johnson can play great off the back foot but our middle order are basically premeditated on the front foot.

Batting order needs to chance for Asian tests. There's no venom in the wickets for the quicks, not a heaps of pace, seam or swing, Our top 3 could easily be Warner, Clarke and Smith. I think a guy like Smith would be great opening over there. Clarke would he a solid number 3 (when in form) on dry wickets. Then you just need a solid middle order, that's the hard part.

In hindsight, this is how I'd probably line up for dry pitch cricket

Warner
Smith
Clarke
Watson
Forrest/Cooper
Haddin
Faulkner
Johnson
Siddle
O'Keefe
Boyce

Thought O'Keefe bowled better than Lyon, would prefer a right armer instead but not overly taken with many of out right arm offies.
Boyce would be difficult over there.
Johnson will be good with the new ball but will have to stick to plans with the old one as I think he will.
Siddle can bowl bowing.
Faulkner can bat and can bowl boring and throw in a few tricks to compliment it.
Watson's bowling over there is good but his batting might have issues.
Clarke should bat at 3, it's not like batting at 3 here, good way to get him in while it's playing well.
Smith could open over there, it's not like opening here. Could be a good experiment, if it doesn't work go to Watson opening.
Forrest and Cooper have been batting well in FC cricket. Might be the stayers and genuine middle order batsmen we need.
Haddin's position is under extreme pressure from Hartley and Nevill.
Zampa has to be in the squad.
Could easily play Forrest and Cooper at the expense of Watson who doesn't face spin well. Might stable up the middle order, maybe.

I still think our one size fits all aggressive approach is badly hurting us in asia, we don't value the need to sometimes play ugly cricket and we see an early failure to get on top and thump the opposition into submission almost as an excuse to just lay down arms and negate our responsibilities from that point on in the match.(name the last drawn test where we were the ones will behind early in the test and we fought it out till the end?)

Lehmann and clarke can say whatever they like about the need to change but i don't buy it, in their minds if we had just won both tosses we might have swung away at 4 an over got on top and cracked pakistan, the idea that we could have won the series the way SA did here a few summers back by grinding out a draw in a game they were well back in and then cashing in later never comes into it for our lot and i don't think it ever will.

We could just make it all about our lack of world class spinners and lack of expose to world class spinners at home but my answer to that is that little team called south africa, a team that has often had no more than part time spinners, a team that often gets little to no exposure to quality spin at domestic level yet for many many years(decades) they have shown us how to play in asia and i believe much of it is their attitude and respect for conditions, SA have the different gears on the pitch we have the nice headlines in the media pre tour about the importance of playing our brand of cricket.

I still think our one size fits all aggressive approach is badly hurting us in asia, we don't value the need to sometimes play ugly cricket and we see an early failure to get on top and thump the opposition into submission almost as an excuse to just lay down arms and negate our responsibilities from that point on in the match.(name the last drawn test where we were the ones will behind early in the test and we fought it out till the end?)

Lehmann and clarke can say whatever they like about the need to change but i don't buy it, in their minds if we had just won both tosses we might have swung away at 4 an over got on top and cracked pakistan, the idea that we could have won the series the way SA did here a few summers back by grinding out a draw in a game they were well back in and then cashing in later never comes into it for our lot and i don't think it ever will.

We could just make it all about our lack of world class spinners and lack of expose to world class spinners at home but my answer to that is that little team called south africa, a team that has often had no more than part time spinners, a team that often gets little to no exposure to quality spin at domestic level yet for many many years(decades) they have shown us how to play in asia and i believe much of it is their attitude and respect for conditions, SA have the different gears on the pitch we have the nice headlines in the media pre tour about the importance of playing our brand of cricket.

Clarke and lehman just want to play all-out attack and have the opposition beaten down by aggressive play from Johnson and Harris. It usually works in the home tests matches. It clearly failed in India , England and UAE.

Clarke and lehman just want to play all-out attack and have the opposition beaten down by aggressive play from Johnson and Harris. It usually works in the home tests matches. It clearly failed in India , England and UAE.

That would be a good theory about Johnson and Harris if they had played together in any of those series.

Perhaps when it comes to quicks we should be looking into some of our better limited overs bowlers. Pick a few quicks who can bowl on the spot ball after ball, have a good change of pace and can be just plain boring. Guys who can bowl long spells too. Siddle should be able to do this but hasn't got many surprises. Starc bowls far too many bad balls. Johnson isn't too bad but works in short spells. Perhaps a Faulkner would be handy, his slower ball might draw a drive in the air, can bowl accurately and bats well. A good medium pacer with a few tricks like Watson has proven he's an excellent option on dry wickets. Absolutely true that we need to set fields loaded to one side of the wicket and be boring, force them to score, try and get them to hit in the air.

Don't disagree with the sentiment that Starc has for the most part struggled in test cricket, but your theory falls down because he's one of our best bowlers in one day cricket.

That would be a good theory about Johnson and Harris if they had played together in any of those series.

If they had played together in those series ,would it have been a different story for Australia?

Frank just said that lehmann/Clarke just want to get all out attack and beat teams into submission. I think its true..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back