Australia Test squad - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard/read other things about Jake Doran in a similar vein. Sounds kind of nutso to even think such things about a kid who hasn't played Shield cricket.
But let's just indulge the Ponting comparison. Ponting was earmarked at a very young age as a future Australian player. There was talk of him being picked for Tasmania at 15 or 16 just to fast-track his development. Ponting was nailed on very early.

But even with that precocious talent, Ponting had to find his feet. Go back to the 2001 Ashes series – Ponting was 26 years old with 45 Tests under his belt, more than five years into his Test career. At that point, he had only managed 2552 runs at a click over 40. That's pretty modest.

It's worth remembering that when rushing to anoint the next big thing. If people want to bracket Doran with Ponting, the reality is that Australia's most prolific run-scorer took more than five years to hit his stride at Test level.

But let's just indulge the Ponting comparison. Ponting was earmarked at a very young age as a future Australian player. There was talk of him being picked for Tasmania at 15 or 16 just to fast-track his development. Ponting was nailed on very early.

But even with that precocious talent, Ponting had to find his feet. Go back to the 2001 Ashes series – Ponting was 26 years old with 45 Tests under his belt, more than five years into his Test career. At that point, he had only managed 2552 runs at a click over 40. That's pretty modest.

It's worth remembering that when rushing to anoint the next big thing. If people want to bracket Doran with Ponting, the reality is that Australia's most prolific run-scorer took more than five years to hit his stride at Test level.

And he was dropped a few times...

The thing that could work in Doran's favor in terms of making the test team sooner rather than later is that there is a dearth of good young batsmen.

Vastly different prospect to when Ponting was establishing himself in the midst of other players like Law, Lehmann, Love etc who were a little older and not established in the test team.

If Doran has a very good year or two in the Shield, I could see him being in the team quickly.

I think in reality you just pick the best team for each test/tour. I don't think you really look 3 years ahead.

Guys are always being ordained the next Ponting/Don whatever. It doesn't mean much til they actually play FC cricket.

I've heard/read other things about Jake Doran in a similar vein. Sounds kind of nutso to even think such things about a kid who hasn't played Shield cricket.

Sometimes you just know. I had the similar feel with Ponting as a junior.

Ponting was playing 1st grade senior cricket from about 4 years old. Is this Doran kid similar?

Very similar scored a truckload of runs at all levels. Was talk he would make his Shield debut last year but NSW had a strong side (that won). Plenty of whispers that Doran will be playing this year. He is an elegant bat with all the shits but what I like is the fact he doesn't over hit the ball and thus less poor shots. Has a massive appetite for runs- he absolutely hates getting a hundred and then getting out. Nice kid too as he is humble.

Sometimes you just know. I had the similar feel with Ponting as a junior.
Yeah – and it took Ponting until he was 26 to bat at No.3.

Do you understand that drawing this parallel between Ponting and Doran – aside from being absurdly premature – doesn't actually support your argument that Doran will come straight in and hold down first drop?

He is an elegant bat with all the shits
That sounds unpleasant.

Last edited:
The thing that could work in Doran's favor in terms of making the test team sooner rather than later is that there is a dearth of good young batsmen.

Vastly different prospect to when Ponting was establishing himself in the midst of other players like Law, Lehmann, Love etc who were a little older and not established in the test team.

If Doran has a very good year or two in the Shield, I could see him being in the team quickly.
Let's wait until he's played a FC game before pencilling him in?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah that seems outrageous to say Doolan has been put there as a stop gap for someone who hasn't even made his FC debut. Lets move on shall we.
Sometimes you just know. Don't you ever just feel something?

No, but I forced myself as a form of affirmative action.

To paraphrase, you said there aren't many good young prospects so Doran could play Test cricket quickly if he does OK at FC level. That's your view?

Like I said, let's wait until he's actually played a FC match before debating his prospects of playing Test cricket.

Read my sentence that you quoted, and then read what you're trying to argue with me about. I argued "if he has a good year or two in the Shield, he could play tests quickly because there aren't many quality young bats around". You say "let's wait til he's played some FC games".

Well, yeh. No s**t. I'd have imagined you could understand having a "good year or two in the Shield" (as I said) necessitates playing some FC games. Dunnit?

Read my sentence that you quoted
I paraphrased it.

I argued "if he has a good year or two in the Shield, he could play tests quickly because there aren't many quality young bats around". You say "let's wait til he's played some FC games".
Correct.

Why are you skipping ahead to discuss the Test prospects of a 17-year-old who hasn't played a FC match?

It's ridiculous. Seriously, what's wrong with you?

Just park the speculation until he does at least one thing.

Last edited:
Why are you skipping ahead to discuss the Test prospects of a 17-year-old who hasn't played a FC match?

It's ridiculous. Seriously, what's wrong with you?

Just park the speculation until he does at least one thing.

What's wrong with me? Lol.

How did I "skip ahead"? How did I "speculate"?

I've just read a CA article in which they referred to Doran as a NSW Blues star... they may be ready to pull a Warner on us with him, I can't make head nor tail of that sort of PR otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back