Australia Test squad - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
...so how about that Australian test team (far out this thread is a car crash).

Hypothetical - given Whiteman finally made that big ton that he'd threatened following a pretty stellar Shield season, if Haddin were to temporarily go down would he slot straight in?

Given his age, I'd be wary personally (his keeping is sound, but I'd prefer him to have more FC games under his belt) and wouldn't mind seeing Paine as the 'break in case of emergency' candidate. He's only got the one FC ton himself and you'd call his last Shield season reasonably solid with the bat at best, but he can keep, has test experience and seems to have his head screwed on.

There's also Wade, but I think everyone knows his issues and it's doubtful for mine Clarke would want to go back to that level of glovework. Hartley and Nevill are fine keepers but probably both have their cards stamped.

It seems like one big ton has been enough to propel Whiteman into the 'future keeper' role for the long-term (at least going by the media, but I'm a fan too), but would he be the one we'd select now if Haddin temporarily went down?

This is assuming Haddin has 18 months or so left overall.

I don't really get why Haddin is so nailed on in short formats. He doesn't offer much to anything with the bat and his keeping can be unreliable, but it appears he is a lock-in which is probably down to his seniority.

Mostly because Wade is s**t and the selectors have kept their options open in regards to Haddin's heir

I've just read a CA article in which they referred to Doran as a NSW Blues star... they may be ready to pull a Warner on us with him, I can't make head nor tail of that sort of PR otherwise.

He has it, gun bat. That said I do want him to play at least a season or a season and a half of Shield cricket, I have no doubts he will turn out to be pretty special.

Depends if they want to use the ODI team as a nursery for the test team. They've done it before.

Agreed, even T20, could easily do it there. Get Whiteman around the national team, he is ready

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Say Lyon got injured ,who would step in ?? Agar ?
or the mighty Michael Beer .

Definately not Agar lol (well not on form anyway). Depends whether they feel Muirhead is ready. O'Keefe is probably the most ready to go backup so to speak.

Definately not Agar lol (well not on form anyway). Depends whether they feel Muirhead is ready. O'Keefe is probably the most ready to go backup so to speak.

I remember as little as 12 months ago ,some posters in this forum still wanted Warne to return. haha
But I want to see Beer. Just for the jokes.

I remember as little as 12 months ago ,some posters in this forum still wanted Warne to return. haha
But I want to see Beer. Just for the jokes.

Hey Beer was pretty bad, but he wasn't Simon Kerrrigan bad!

Hey Beer was pretty bad, but he wasn't Simon Kerrrigan bad!

The AUS top order really go after spinners. Be interesting to see how they do v Ajmal. Kerrigan was like a deer in the headlights..

Next time AUS name a touring party to England, Muirhead will probably be named as backup. As my wild guess..

Muirhead isn't even remotely ready and needs years on the domestic circuit. Has the potential to be outstanding but at this stage is very raw and would be eaten alive in test cricket (christ, he's been eaten alive at Shield level). O'Keefe is next cab off the rank comfortably in my mind.

Dizzy thinks Finch should be in the test team.

I think I'm going to be sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back