Australia Test squad - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't agree there as Johnson likes to angle the ball across right handers or get the ball up into their ribcage (though the fact that the pitches will be dead won't help him in this regard).

With lefties he often angles the ball into their pads (unless he is getting some swing).

Maybe I've just seen him get Graeme Smith too often, but he always looks more comfortable bowling to lefties to me. I'm sure I've seen something which showed that he prefered lefites and Dale Steyn prefers righties.

I can't see Marsh getting a game this series but he is doing some good things lately so hopefully he can keep improving. I think they'll either go with Watson with O'Keefe and Lyon or Maxwell, Lyon and 3 fast bowlers. The fact they are taking only 3 fast bowlers makes me think they will go with Lyon and O'Keefe.

What is the latest on Watsons body?

I can't see Marsh getting a game this series but he is doing some good things lately so hopefully he can keep improving. I think they'll either go with Watson with O'Keefe and Lyon or Maxwell, Lyon and 3 fast bowlers. The fact they are taking only 3 fast bowlers makes me think they will go with Lyon and O'Keefe.

What is the latest on Watsons body?

A good Shield season is all he needs to get a gig really.

Warner
Rogers
Doolan
Clarke
Smith
Maxwell
Haddin
Johnson
Starc
Lyon
Siddle

Maxwell is not playing ahead of Watson. Watson if fit is critical on these pitches. Reverse swing will play a massive part.

Maxwell is not playing ahead of Watson. Watson if fit is critical on these pitches. Reverse swing will play a massive part.
Watson's injured. If he's fit I slot him in ahead of Doolan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the fact that only 3 pace bowlers were picked in the squad means they most likely go with 2 if them. They usually always have a spare fast bowler on tour.

Not sure how much I agree with it, but you are right. That said with Cummins, NCN, Harris, Pattinson all unavailable and Starc a month back from a major injury....there isn't really an option!

Not sure how much I agree with it, but you are right. That said with Cummins, NCN, Harris, Pattinson all unavailable and Starc a month back from a major injury....there isn't really an option!

If they were planning on playing three fast bowlers I guess they would have brought in Bollinger or Faulkner as the back up

If they were planning on playing three fast bowlers I guess they would have brought in Bollinger or Faulkner as the back up

Exactly my point, Faulkner who has looked hopeless lately and Bollinger (just no). The depth is pretty thin. We badly need Cummins back in the frame in test cricket, as he is the one I see as the elite pick of the bunch.

If Clarke doesn't play tests in UAE, would our Phil be in the starting line-up? With 42 degrees gone, he'd probably do ok.

Surely we just play Maxwell who can play spin. We already have enough blokes that are petrified of spin bowling

If Clarke doesn't play in the UAE, and Watson is fit, the XI should be:

Rogers
Warner
Doolan
Watson
Smith
Maxwell/Marsh
Haddin (+, c)
Johnson
Starc/O'Keefe
Lyon
Siddle