Australia Test squad - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bending over backwards to abandon the principle of consistency.

There's still an obvious gap in the top six and obviously another spot for a reserve batsman. So don't pretend Australia's batting line-up is now a closed shop.

Smith may have come back into a weaker side but he was also competing against all the other guys outside the team who scored more heavily domestically.

Again, this is not an argument for Maxwell to be selected or for against Smith being in the side. It is merely a statement of fact: Smith was recalled to the Test side without scoring as heavily as Maxwell did this season. You can explain that away with platitudes like "it's all relative" if you like, but the argument that Smith did enough domestically, while Maxwell needs to do more, is a non-starter.
How is it not relative? It's basic sense you need to do more to break into a stronger side than a weaker one.

How is it not relative? It's basic sense you need to do more to break into a stronger side than a weaker one.
Like I said, there are still spots up for grabs in the current squad. There is room for Maxwell. And there were other guys who did more than Smith domestically before he was recalled. It's not like he was the only option.

So this idea that Smith's runs were 'worth more' than Maxwell's because the side is now stronger has some obvious shortcomings.

Besides, if you look back at the earlier posts which drew this response, the argument is not about the 'relative value' of Smith's runs vs the 'relative value' of Maxwell's runs. The claim I responded to is that Smith forced his way back in by scoring big runs, which Maxwell has yet to do. As I've established, this is factually incorrect, as Maxwell scored more heavily this season than Smith did prior to his recall. That fact is not 'all relative'.

Maxwell has played a couple of valuable FC innings now. Personally I have no issue with him being a reserve for the test team, but his limitations atm are that he is only suited to batting at #6 or below. Ideally, you'd like your reserve batsman capable of batting anywhere in the order.

Would be a bold move to promote Smith to #3. Worth it? Or too risky?

I think Smith will eventually become a #3, but not yet. Really he only cemented his spot in the team during the back end of the ashes.

Maxwell has played a couple of valuable FC innings now. Personally I have no issue with him being a reserve for the test team, but his limitations atm are that he is only suited to batting at #6 or below. Ideally, you'd like your reserve batsman capable of batting anywhere in the order.

I think his biggest limitation is that he's just as likely to come out in test cricket and play some stupid lame-arse shot first up as he is likey to in T20. If he could get that kick out of his system, he'd be fine. By ' that kick' I mean wait till he's sighted a few and not just one ball.:confused:

I think Smith will eventually become a #3, but not yet. Really he only cemented his spot in the team during the back end of the ashes.

Happy with him batting at 5 or 6, but he's taken the responsibility of batting at 3 for his state, and has made runs there. I like that, especially seeing he's captain of NSW.

There's no doubt in my mind that Smith is the next captain of Australia, post Clarke.

Maxwell takes Watsons spot at 6 on a turning deck, horses for courses.

On the other hand keep Watson as a 3rd seamer and play Fawad with Lyon. Watson's a better seamer than what Maxwell is a spinner so if you want to go with two spinners pick a genuine one and leave Watson as a back up seamer. Doesn't matter how much your pitches suit spinners, if he's crap it's no help at all.

On the other hand keep Watson as a 3rd seamer and play Fawad with Lyon. Watson's a better seamer than what Maxwell is a spinner so if you want to go with two spinners pick a genuine one and leave Watson as a back up seamer. Doesn't matter how much your pitches suit spinners, if he's crap it's no help at all.
Maxwell>Ahmed. Ahmed is s**t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because that's what our t20 needs. More classical forward defence.

Doubt Maxwell would play a reverse until he was on at least 80 in a test match.

From what I remember seeing him in tests in India, he played a lot of shots for bugger all effect. He must have improved since then.

Neither should be near it, an until Maxwell gets rid of the reverse rubbish he is nowhere near it between the ears.
How do you rate Maxwell's FC performance in the past season against Smith's performance during the seasons he was out of the side?

His last two FC scores have come at a reasonable click.
True, but it doesn't mean he doesn't have a good technique

That is one of the most illogical things I have read on BF. Because he tries to score quick runs in a T20, he is not up to it mentally?

The reverse hits should be put away full stop, we don't need fruitloops playing reverse hits and getting out (which he does constantly)

Maxwell would probably be one of our better bats against Ajmal in the UAE. Save for Smith and Clarke who else actually looks like he has a clue against spin?
Bucky isn't horrible against spin, but that's the best I can say. Can't comment on Doolan or Warner. Watson and Hughes are both terrible players of spin, shouldn't be near the side

Very different question to whether he is up to it mentally or not.

They go hand in hand. He is too dumb to stop himself, and he does it time and time again, in all formats too. Really I'll be happier if he never plays another reverse.

Bucky isn't horrible against spin, but that's the best I can say. Can't comment on Doolan or Warner. Watson and Hughes are both terrible players of spin, shouldn't be near the side

Watson isn't bad against spin, but he is poor against spin straight up, there is a bit of a difference. Once he gets his feet moving he is fine though. Doolan is okay without being great. Warner is like Watson, needs half an hour against the quicks first. He'll get that in test cricket.

They go hand in hand. He is too dumb to stop himself, and he does it time and time again, in all formats too. Really I'll be happier if he never plays another reverse.
No they really don't. He WANTS to play the shot. He believes that he plays better/scores faster when he is playing it. Whether that is right is another question. His choice to play the reverse has nothing to do with his mental application

No they really don't. He WANTS to play the shot. He believes that he plays better/scores faster when he is playing it. Whether that is right is another question. His choice to play the reverse has nothing to do with his mental application

Wanting to play it in test cricket I have a massive issue with. Talk about Mr Ego 101. No need for the shot, play the ball straight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back