Australia Test squad - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think of his recent record?

I wish they'd cut their losses with Watson and give someone else a decent run in test cricket if they really want an all-rounder. Tell him that they'll only consider him for ODIs and T20s as he's too much of an injury risk and his output isn't enough as a bowler or a batsman.

But I'm not a selector. I wouldn't have picked Mitch Marsh for this squad either so there you are.

While I'm at it, another good reason to be shot of Watson is to get someone else trained up at first slip who may be a regular in the team. He's not mobile enough to field anywhere else but with his injuries they have to rejig that spot regularly. He's ok in slip but no more than that.

Last edited:
That's interesting.

So you now agree with my suggestions, made over the past few months, that we should be looking at the alternatives?

Haha, your suggestion that I argued with was whether Faulkner was a chance to bat at 6. And while I said I would still pick Watson, I said all along that he shod be under pressure.

And where is Faulkner mate? Even with Watson injured he couldn't get a game!

Haha, your suggestion that I argued with was whether Faulkner was a chance to bat at 6. And while I said I would still pick Watson, I said all along that he shod be under pressure.
My recollection is that you were in favour of sticking with Watson because you didn't deem the alternatives acceptable. Now you reckon Watson could be finished at Test level?

And where is Faulkner mate? Even with Watson injured he couldn't get a game!
Because Marsh has apparently forced his way into pole position alongside Maxwell.

That does nothing to undermine my central argument, which has all along been that we need to look at alternatives to Watson.

Last edited:
If Clarke is out he will go to three, it's the only way they can accomodate Hughes.
I still think Rogers at three would make more sense. Warner starting against the old ball on low, slow surfaces seems a recipe for failure. He had a fantastic tour of SA but that's the first time he scored runs outside Australia. Without the ball coming onto the bat he still hasn't done a thing.

My recollection is that you were in favour of sticking with Watson because you didn't deem the alternatives acceptable. Now you reckon Watson could be finished at Test level?

Because Marsh has apparently forced his way into pole position alongside Maxwell.

That does nothing to undermine my central argument, which has all along been that we need to look at alternatives to Watson.

I didn't deem Faulkner an acceptable replacement. And I still don't.

I still think Rogers at three would make more sense. Warner starting against the old ball on low, slow surfaces seems a recipe for failure. He had a fantastic tour of SA but that's the first time he scored runs outside Australia. Without the ball coming onto the bat he still hasn't done a thing.
If Warner and Hughes are to be Aust's long term openers, perhaps Rogers at 3 now is ok...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't recall you deeming any of the replacements acceptable.

But now you reckon Watson is cooked.

I said all along Watson was under pressure, which is why I had both Watson and Maxwell in my original squad. My point that you struggled to understand, was that their was no point replacing him with someone who is yet to score a FC century (Faulkner) and will more than likely average less than Watson.

Watson's career is at the cross roads right now, mostly due to his injury concerns. Of course if someone comes in and makes runs then the spot may become theirs. Same thing would have happened if Wade came in for Haddin and actually took catches...

I said all along Watson was under pressure, which is why I had both Watson and Maxwell in my original squad. My point that you struggled to understand, was that their was no point replacing him with someone who is yet to score a FC century (Faulkner) and will more than likely average less than Watson.
Yes, that was your specific knock on Faulkner.

But you weren't backing any of the alternatives either. Now, you've completely flipped on that and reckon Watson might be cooked.

Last edited:

But you weren't backing any of the alternatives either. Now, you've completed flipped on that and reckon Watson might be cooked.

You've spent 60 pages trying to get people to change their opinions and then when someone changes their mind on something, it's as if they've done something wrong. :confused:

But you weren't backing any of the alternatives either. Now, you've completed flipped on that and reckon Watson might be cooked.

Yes, I did say Watsons career may be over, but that's mostly due to the fact that he can't get on the park. Let it go man, you are quickly ruining the thread once again.

You've spent 60 pages trying to get people to change their opinions and then when someone changes their mind on something, it's as if they've done something wrong. :confused:
Not at all. Just an observation of how our friend has changed his tune.

Yes, I did say Watsons career may be over, but that's mostly due to the fact that he can't get on the park. Let it go man, you are quickly ruining the thread once again.
Do you agree that Watson is under the pump and we should be looking at the alternatives?

If so, welcome aboard.

Hughes on a turning deck scares me.

Thats my issue with hughes it always some reason he can't be backed to perform at this level, they hid him vs the SA quicks a few summers back now they might not play him due to his spin struggles.

If the bloke needs to be protected from facing anything other than sri lankan medium pacers on our pitches then you have to question if he has a place at this level, they need to back him no matter the opposition or just move on from hughes.

Not at all. Just an observation of how our friend has changed his tune.

Do you agree that Watson is under the pump and we should be looking at the alternatives?

If so, welcome aboard.

This is what I said about 4 months ago. Pretty clear I though Watson was under the pump back then and that we should be looking at replacemets... ;)

I wouldn't drop him for the next match, but I'd be taking Maxwell as a back up and letting him know he needs to make runs to keep his spot.

You are turning an argument we had about Faulkner into one about Watson, let it go man!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back