Australia Test squad - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
bombersno1 who would you select then?

Honestly, I have always said to select the blokes in the best form who suit red ball cricket

Warner (certainty)
Rogers (Hughes on standby)
Doolan (we are 2 years away from a good number 3, he is at least solid)
Clarke (certain)
Smith (Certain)
Watson/Lynn/Burns/Travis Head, etc (this is our most problematic position, personally I'd gamble on Lynn)
Whiteman (Haddin has done his job imo)
Johnson (certain)
Pattinson
Lyon (Muirhead, etc are not ready yet)
Harris

Do you actually think that Lynn/Burns/Head (who got dropped by SA for poor form) are actually better options than Maxwell?

Especially against Ajmal and Rehmann on a UAE dust bowl?

I would rather Lynn and Burns specifically, and I am not picking a bloke for one tour, I am against a 'horses for courses' idea in test cricket. I'm picking these blokes for 10 tests time. Both those two have sound techniques and can bat 5-6

Warner (certainty)
Rogers (Hughes on standby)
Doolan (we are 2 years away from a good number 3, he is at least solid)
Clarke (certain)
Smith (Certain)
Watson/Lynn/Burns/Travis Head, etc (this is our most problematic position, personally I'd gamble on Lynn)
Whiteman (Haddin has done his job imo)
Johnson (certain)
Pattinson
Lyon (Muirhead, etc are not ready yet)
Harris

The fact that your reasoning isn't 'Lyon is the absolute far and away best spin option out there' means i struggle to take the rest seriously

Warner
Rogers
Doolan
Clarke
Smith
Watson (hate to say it)
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Lyon
Faulkner (12th man but hope he get's Watto's place)

The fact that your reasoning isn't 'Lyon is the absolute far and away best spin option out there' means i struggle to take the rest seriously

Where did I say he wasn't? I said Muirhead, etc were 2+ years away dead minimum.

BAHBOW! Incorrect, please try again.

He has played it in Shield cricket, heck I have seen him play it. Not as regularly but he still does it. I hate the shot, I'd hate it even more if he got out doing it, which he will as it is a low percentage shot!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He barely plays it in FC. It has no bearing on his mental readiness for test cricket

It shows he wants a 'get out of jail shot'. It very rarely works against the very best of bowlers!

It shows he wants a 'get out of jail shot'. It very rarely works against the very best of bowlers!
Dude, he played it in the WT20. A T20 FFS! It has NOTHING to do with getting out of jail - you need to score funs fast in a T20. Please stop trying to link playing a shot to get fast runs in a T20 to test match readiness

Will Pakistan play Rehman, or would it more likely be Babar?

I'd say Rehman will get first crack in the test matches. We'll definitely see Babar at some point on the tour though.

Unless they're still really ticked off about him for those three full tosses a couple of months ago :p

I would rather Lynn and Burns specifically, and I am not picking a bloke for one tour, I am against a 'horses for courses' idea in test cricket. I'm picking these blokes for 10 tests time.
How do you square that with your comments here?

Are Lynn or Burns best XI? Because you said you should always pick the best XI no matter what and that Tests aren't for trialling players.

How can you justify "picking these blokes for 10 Tests time" when you've said previously that every Test is critical whether it's one Test or five, England or Bangladesh?

That seems like a complete reversal of your earlier position.

How do you square that with your comments here?

Are Lynn or Burns best XI? Because you said you should always pick the best XI no matter what and that Tests aren't for trialling for players.

How can you justify "picking these blokes for 10 Tests time" when you've said previously that every Test is critical whether it's one Test or five, England or Bangladesh?

That seems like a complete reversal of your earlier position.

10 tests time is a year away, home summer (and beyond) and all of these bats have to score runs, runs and runs! Unless someone proves otherwise our test XI is very settled now. The number 3 spot is up in the air but it isn't as if Doolan was a total failure. I don't see why we need to make changes, we are number 1 in the world, we have the nucleus for a dynasty and you just want changes upon changes. I don't. Play these players when their FORM is worth it. Maxwell needs another season, so does Lynn, Burns, Silk, etc. Honestly I would stick with Doolan at 3 until Jake Doran comes through. In my opinion he is the best bat to come out of this country in quite a while.

10 tests time is a year away, home summer (and beyond) and all of these bats have to score runs, runs and runs! Unless someone proves otherwise our test XI is very settled now. The number 3 spot is up in the air but it isn't as if Doolan was a total failure. I don't see why we need to make changes, we are number 1 in the world, we have the nucleus for a dynasty and you just want changes upon changes. I don't. Play these players when their FORM is worth it. Maxwell needs another season, so does Lynn, Burns, Silk, etc. Honestly I would stick with Doolan at 3 until Jake Doran comes through. In my opinion he is the best bat to come out of this country in quite a while.
We're not talking about No.3. Doolan, rightly or wrongly, appears to be 'the incumbent'. You mention Lynn as your preferred option at No.6.

But in the past you've said that we should just pick 'the best XI' for every Test. You don't get to reverse away from that and start picking Burns and Lynn as project players. Is either currently best XI? If not, how can you justify picking either without abandoning your earlier position?

It's even more questionable if you think the XI is "very settled now". In your post above, you say we don't need to make changes, while at the same time saying you'd have Lynn at No.6. Which one is it?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back