Australia Test squad - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does Kane Richardson always get to SA nod in the One Dayers. He is well behind Sayers and Putland from an SA point of view.
Surely it isnt because he can bat at 8?

I can't see how one Shield match would make any difference to who is selected in the squad. The selectors must have a fairly strong idea of who they want.

It doesn't really matter. There is a fundamental problem when marketing is having any impact on the selection processes... no matter how small.

The selection panel should be sufficiently insulated from Cricket Australia's day-to-day activities that it is operating completely independently.

I can't see how one Shield match would make any difference to who is selected in the squad. The selectors must have a fairly strong idea of who they want.
Form and injuries can still change a lot. And what happens if they are down to 2 or 3 batsman and and they pick one who then gets a pair while the other 2 post tons in both innings? Theres just no need to select the team early before they have all the information when there is no real need.

And thats before you even consider the stupidity of allowing marketing to have any influence over player selections

How does Kane Richardson always get to SA nod in the One Dayers. He is well behind Sayers and Putland from an SA point of view.
Surely it isnt because he can bat at 8?

Richardson is a better ODI or 50 over bowler than those two, and I am far from convinced about Sayers. I know people will say otherwise, but I struggle to see what he has that Trent Copeland didn't and he was pedestrian in Internationals. If we want a left armer Paris (WA) is better than Putland

Richardson is a better ODI or 50 over bowler than those two, and I am far from convinced about Sayers. I know people will say otherwise, but I struggle to see what he has that Trent Copeland didn't and he was pedestrian in Internationals. If we want a left armer Paris (WA) is better than Putland

He might be a beter ODI bowler but even his best is marginally better than tripe.

He might be a beter ODI bowler but even his best is marginally better than tripe.

Ideally none of the SA bowlers should be there, lets be honest for a second in 50 over cricket. However you have 7-8 blokes out with injury what do you expect. I would like to see Sayers but in ODI's I just feel he will be cannon fodder

mine

1. Warner
2. Rogers
3. Watson
4. Clarke
5. Smith
6. M.Marsh
7. Haddin
8. Johnson
9. Siddle
10. Cummins
11. Lyon

the rest

12. Freguson
13. Hartley
14. Harris
15. Boyce

Sayers is quicker than Copeland, but pace is still going to be a concern at international level. He is about Butterworth pace I would imagine.

Still, if he keeps taking tons of wickets he'll force the selectors hand to give him a chance.

But unlike Copeland at the time, Sayers has a lot of bowlers in the queue with him. We were a bit short on options 3-4 years ago before the emergence of all the quicks in the country.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It doesn't really matter. There is a fundamental problem when marketing is having any impact on the selection processes... no matter how small.

The selection panel should be sufficiently insulated from Cricket Australia's day-to-day activities that it is operating completely independently.

Well, I agree but I have quite low expectations of CA these days so don't really get very worked up about these things.

mine

1. Warner
2. Rogers
3. Watson
4. Clarke
5. Smith
6. M.Marsh
7. Haddin
8. Johnson
9. Siddle
10. Cummins
11. Lyon

the rest

12. Freguson
13. Hartley
14. Harris
15. Boyce

you'd put a kid who has barely played any cricket in ahead of harris. good logic

Reckon Wade has done enough in this series to edge ahead for the keeper spot if Haddin doesn't come up. 3 out of the 4 games he's come in under huge pressure and had to basically bat like a Test match. It's a pity he couldn't go on and transform one innings into a big 70-80+ knock, but he's shown alot more fight and guts than alot of other blokes in the top order.

Seems to have sharpened up his keeping too, although he hasn't had to face up to much spin.

Reckon Wade has done enough in this series to edge ahead for the keeper spot if Haddin doesn't come up. 3 out of the 4 games he's come in under huge pressure and had to basically bat like a Test match. It's a pity he couldn't go on and transform one innings into a big 70-80+ knock, but he's shown alot more fight and guts than alot of other blokes in the top order.

Seems to have sharpened up his keeping too, although he hasn't had to face up to much spin.

Disagree. His keeping isn't good enough.

Should go for Hartley with the view of Whiteman in a few years taking it for the long term

Faulkner does it again. Shame he can't edge ahead of all the limp dicks you blokes seem to rate.

In a ODI....remind me how picking Bailey off ODI form went again?

Disagree. His keeping isn't good enough.

Should go for Hartley with the view of Whiteman in a few years taking it for the long term

He has kept very well this series. Apart from one lot of byes he let through in this match, he's made no obvious mistakes and taken some great catches and good stops.

Would like to have seen if he'd tightened up against spin a bit more, but he looks to have sharpened up since before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back