Johnson
Harris
Lyon
Hazelwood

Batting backup:
Burns
S.Marsh

Bowling backup:
Pattinson (Siddle if Patto still injured)
Starc

Then we take one of the many excellent backup keeper options and Maxwell and MMarsh should be in the mix also.
I don't really want Smith at 3 this early on, but I really like this team. The selectors will probably want Shaun Marsh there, though.

I'd have Voges in there too, because I think he's the best man for the job.

I'd have Watson ahead of Marsh, because he is both a better batsman and bowler than Marsh, and is also the only decent first slipper we have.

If you think Marsh is better, thats fine.

I just hate this youth crap for a national cricket side. We had to put up with Cowan for 2 years while Rogers kept piling on runs purely because of age and its complete bullshit.
Watson hasn't taken wickets in 3 years. I don't trust his bowling at all anymore.

I don't really want Smith at 3 this early on, but I really like this team. The selectors will probably want Shaun Marsh there, though.

I could have that side but hate Watson at 6. He battles when the field is back I reckon, if he's to play he has to be top 3. But I do like the idea of Smith at 3 for sure.

Watson hasn't taken wickets in 3 years. I don't trust his bowling at all anymore.

That first IPL did amazing stuff for his bowling, but yeah he has dropped off that's for sure.

recurring hammy.

Even after being nursed through the summer completely, its a worry that its gone again.

might be time for some cows blood, or a visit to Windy Hill

What I've heard about Pattinson and his hammy is that he just tweaked the one he did a few weeks ago. He wouldn't have played if it wasn't the Shield final apparently so he was a bit underdone. Nothing too serious though.

massive 12 months of test cricket coming up , it'll be interesting to see if the likes of rogers, harris, haddin, clarke, watson and johnson can still be playing at the end of these 18 upcoming tests.

2 v west indies (a)
5 v england (a)
2 v bangladesh (a)
3 v new zealand (h)
3 v west indies (h)
3 v new zealand (a)

massive 12 months of test cricket coming up , it'll be interesting to see if the likes of rogers, harris, haddin, clarke, watson and johnson can still be playing at the end of these 18 upcoming tests.

2 v west indies (a)
5 v england (a)
2 v bangladesh (a)
3 v new zealand (h)
3 v west indies (h)
3 v new zealand (a)
Doubtful.

Rogers and Haddin, for example, are almost guaranteed to finish up after the Ashes. Watson is hanging on in terms of form as it is. Forget about the question of age. Clarke and Harris are both one injury away from retirement. Johnson could stick around a bit longer, provided he doesn't lose his mojo.

I think we should bear in mind that the next major series after the Ashes is against South Africa toward the end of 2016.

So frankly, after the Ashes, it should be about bedding down a team capable of winning that series.

What I've heard about Pattinson and his hammy is that he just tweaked the one he did a few weeks ago. He wouldn't have played if it wasn't the Shield final apparently so he was a bit underdone. Nothing too serious though.

I think it's fairly concerning that he is continually breaking down right after coming back from injury.

1. Rogers
2. Warner
3. Smith
4. Clarke
5. S. Marsh
6. Watson/M.Marsh/Faulkner (honestly can't split and yep including Faulkner)
7. Haddin
8. Johnson
9. Harris (Hazlewood for WI)
10. Pattinson
11. Lyon

Wade (back up keeper)
Burns(back up bat)
Back up allrounder (one who doesn't play
Back up bowler (Hazlewood/Pattinson
Agar (spinner b/u)

Leaves a squad of 15-17 for Ashes/WI which will make up the 11 for the 7 tests I guess. Don't know the final make up but they are the pool of players I'd use. Would take Faulkner at the expense of 1 of M.Marsh/Watson

1. Rogers
2. Warner
3. Smith
4. Clarke
5. S. Marsh
6. Watson/M.Marsh/Faulkner (honestly can't split and yep including Faulkner)
7. Haddin
8. Johnson
9. Harris (Hazlewood for WI)
10. Pattinson
11. Lyon

Wade (back up keeper)
Burns(back up bat)
Back up allrounder (one who doesn't play
Back up bowler (Hazlewood/Pattinson
Agar (spinner b/u)

Leaves a squad of 15-17 for Ashes/WI which will make up the 11 for the 7 tests I guess. Don't know the final make up but they are the pool of players I'd use. Would take Faulkner at the expense of 1 of M.Marsh/Watson
I'll be surprised if Starc doesn't get a sniff at some stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe who does he replace thou? Hasn't really performed at test level yet. I reckon he could be a late bloomer and an absolute gun but needs to go back for a few years and develop/learn his craft before becoming a long term option.
Well, Harris won't tour the West Indies and Pattinson is no certainty.

Doubtful.

Rogers and Haddin, for example, are almost guaranteed to finish up after the Ashes. Watson is hanging on in terms of form as it is. Forget about the question of age. Clarke and Harris are both one injury away from retirement. Johnson could stick around a bit longer, provided he doesn't lose his mojo.

I think we should bear in mind that the next major series after the Ashes is against South Africa toward the end of 2016.

So frankly, after the Ashes, it should be about bedding down a team capable of winning that series.

We have to play the Kiwis at home before then, need a strong team for that...

Well, Harris won't tour the West Indies and Pattinson is no certainty.

True but he seems to me to be told you're dropped but then the second a spot opens up he is in regardless if he has form or not. 1 dayers first picked but I reckon he may need 1-2 full shield years refining technique and learning his craft before really letting loose on the test set up.

We have to play the Kiwis at home before then, need a strong team for that...
I'm not saying we should throw the pendulum completely toward youth and pick Jordan Silk, Jake Doran and Joel Paris.

But I'd be surprised if there's not at least a partial changing of the guard after the Ashes. Rogers, Haddin, maybe Harris. Watson depending on form.

True but he seems to me to be told you're dropped but then the second a spot opens up he is in regardless if he has form or not. 1 dayers first picked but I reckon he may need 1-2 full shield years refining technique and learning his craft before really letting loose on the test set up.
If we take four quicks and that doesn't include Harris, surely Starc will be right in the mix.

I'm not saying we should throw the pendulum completely toward youth and pick Jordan Silk, Jake Doran and Joel Paris.

But I'd be surprised if there's not at least a partial changing of the guard after the Ashes. Rogers, Haddin, maybe Harris. Watson depending on form.

Ha, ha, it's only ten-year olds and NSWalers who want Doran in the test team before he's played first class cricket.

Doubtful.

agree to a certain extent, but we should be playing a full strength side (available) for ALL test series

agree to a certain extent, but we should be playing a full strength side (available) for ALL test series
The point is that some of those older players will no longer be 'available'.

Also, if we followed your thinking, would Josh Hazlewood have been picked last summer?

The reality is that you have to strike a balance between picking a competitive side, including players who've earned their spot, against bringing younger players through when the opportunity arises.

Also, it's not always clear-cut what that best side looks like. In light of that, it makes sense to have a look at few guys and see who takes their opportunity.

Last edited:
I know Voges has runs on the board at Shield level but surely the selectors stick phat with the younger, already selected Joe Burns in the side?

With the PTtinson injury I'd be going with this 16 man squad

Warner
Rogers
Smith
Clarke
Burns
M.Marsh/Watson
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Hazelwood
Lyon