Socceroos Australia to host 2021 Confederations Cup?

Thread inspired by one on the main (AFL) board, here's a thread (without the 'anti Soccer' hysteria and code war BS that is rife on the main board one) where you can discuss an interesting suggestion that Australia 'could' host the 2021 Confederations Cup.

Important note: No one from the FFA, FIFA, the other sporting codes or the Federal Government has made any official statement on the subject of Australia being host yet so it's only an idea at this stage.

At the last FIFA ExCo meeting in February, AFC president and ExCo member Sheikh Bin Ebrahim Al Khalifa was exploring the option of staging the Confederations Cup in 2021 in another Asian country outside of World Cup host Qatar. It’s understood Japan is currently in the box seat to win the tournament.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...r-football-codes/story-fnii0fc4-1227266764468

I believe the thinking is FIFA don't want to disrupt the domestic European leagues twice in 2 successive years (with the decision for the 2022 World Cup to be held in December to try and take advantage of the 'cooler' temperature in Qatar at that time of year).

Essentially, the tournament would need to take place over 2-3 weeks (last tournament was 15 days from start to finish) and require the use of (4 or 6 stadiums). As the tournament would take place in the off season of the domestic leagues it would probably be run in June/July (so mid season for many of the local codes here - AFL, NRL and Rugby Union).

Given the amazing success of the Asian Cup earlier in the year, some have suggested that if the Confederations Cup is moved to another country, Australia could be a worthy candidate for host.

So what do people think?

It's not quite the World Cup but it would be pretty amazing (IMO) to host the champion teams of Europe, South & North/Central America, Africa, Asia and Oceania (maybe not so much the OFC haha).

Sep 30, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory, Blackburn Rovers
Damn, completely missed the latest codewar thread. :(

On a more serious note it'll be great for the sport if it comes here, any kind of international tournament with increase the sport's credibility over here and will hopefully strengthen the local game.

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtic, West Perth, Glory, S'Roos
I think it was one started after some junior aussie rules side their numbers are down because of soccer.

Sep 30, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory, Blackburn Rovers
Confeds Cup in Australia in 2021 only works if games are played in Perth and Adelaide. If we're ignored again I don't want to know about it.

Absolute disgrace that you were overlooked for the Asian cup games. I know its not really the FFA's fault given the WA and SA state governments didn't bid for it, but surely some kind of compromise could've been reached.

Back