Australia vs India - Second Test @ GABBA - Dec 17-21 - Day 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Brisbane has 6 consecutive 43+ days, peaking at 45.7, get back to me.

I would take that over 34 degrees with humidity any day, as would any sportsperson. Tennis players who played in the searing heat in Melbourne last year said they found it much worse playing in Brisbane the week before because of the humidity even though it was only mid 30s. Have you never been to a place that has a humid climate? It literally saps the energy out of you leading to cramps, nausea and other unpleasant things that make it very hard to perform any energetic endeavor beyond basically lying down. Some people cope better than others but everyone will perform worse in humid conditions.

Last edited:
34 is not searing heat. The problem is that the bowlers are NOT doing enough bowling in match conditions. You can bowl all you like under supervision but nothing matches the stress of a genuine match.
I think you have a seriously poor grasp on Queensland weather, it's not like anywhere else in Aus besides Darwin.

I can stand 40 degree days in Adelaide, I seriously struggle in mid 30s to 40s heat with nearly 100% humidity in Queensland.

I think you have a seriously poor grasp on Queensland weather, it's not like anywhere else in Aus besides Darwin.

I can stand 40 degree days in Adelaide, I seriously struggle in mid 30s to 40s heat with nearly 100% humidity in Queensland.

I used to live in Rockhampton, or as I liked to call it, that shithole on the Tropic of Capricorn.

Haddin could easily bat 6, or Watson to 6 and bring in Burns. Either one is fine.
Haddin could bat at number 6, if you want our tail to be longer than our batting lineup I guess....
He can bat 6. Either one of Abbott, Faulkner or Henriques are more test number 7-8's rather than test number 6's.
Peter Siddle has a higher FC average than Abbott. Perhaps we should play him at 7 as an allrounder? Don't lump Abbott in the same league as faulkner and henriques.
Would still be better than Maxwell though!
Actually Maxwell at 7 would be exactly the place he could play, in the right situations.

Happy India's batsmen have showed up this series, thought this was bang on to be a repeat of the Ashes last summer and India's last tour here. Want to see it still alive going into the fourth test.

Our bowling seems not quite there and is of course unsettled. No intimidation at the moment at all from the quicks, as if the UAE form wasnt merely a blip on the radar.

Oh and Johnson isn't the most important member of the bowling lineup, that honour clearly goes to Ryan Harris.

Yep, 1 day of test cricket out of 5. Over I'd say. I wouldn't bother going if I lived in Brisbane

Lol.

Can't believe what I've been reading, we had a bad day yes but geez, you'd think Mitch Starc was Josef Fritzl or Shaun Marsh was Tony Abbott from the vitriol I've seen.

This is what happens when you drop your most reliable, fit, workhorse bowler for injury prone speedsters

Then maybe Siddle should have bowled better period. Eat a steak, it isn't that hard. Get some more strength into him.

Hazelwood bowled better in 1 day than Siddle did in 6 months. Starc is a shocker but lets not pretend Siddle would have been that much better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get the Dorffinator in for Boxing Day. He and Johnson can tear up plenty of footmarks for our new weapon, N.Lyon to bowl into. (Let's just hope Ashwin bowls crap).

There has always been questions about the preparation of quick bowlers in the modern era. I recall Doug Walters raising a few eyebrows when he said bowlers from his era did more bowling than the bowlers of today, but when you think of it, he's right. If they weren't bowling in Tests, Fast bowlers in the 70s would be bowling Sheffield Shield and Grade cricket. They were usually match fit.

There's no doubt today's quicks are fitter, but it's not match fitness. Long spells in the shield and grade season was the perfect preparation for a quick, but that's not possible in today's cricket because of the scheduling. I have been annoyed in the past watching our so-called finely tuned quicks continually breaking down in matches. It's got to tell us something.

There has always been questions about the preparation of quick bowlers in the modern era. I recall Doug Walters raising a few eyebrows when he said bowlers from his era did more bowling than the bowlers of today, but when you think of it, he's right. If they weren't bowling in Tests, Fast bowlers in the 70s would be bowling Sheffield Shield and Grade cricket. They were usually match fit.

There's no doubt today's quicks are fitter, but it's not match fitness. Long spells in the shield and grade season was the perfect preparation for a quick, but that's not possible in today's cricket because of the scheduling. I have been annoyed in the past watching our so-called finely tuned quicks continually breaking down in matches. It's got to tell us something.

Spot on dude. Fred Trueman used to talk about bowling himself to fitness and in his autobiography described an altercation he had with a fitness advisor on the boat travelling to Australia for the 1958-59 series.

The humidity for most of yesterday's play was only 40-50% which is not high humidity at all, if a player's struggling in those conditions then they're not fit enough. It's obviously not easy conditions to play in but they're meant to be elite athletes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back