Australian Border Force and Victoria Police conducting random Visa checks on the streets

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if News Corp will harangue them with the same outrage they reserve for an ABC tweet?

They probably won't, but they should. Both the government and the ABC are the 2 easiest targets at the moment, and for good reason. They are both in disarray.

Maybe I'm missing something, because I've only really read the OP and haven't caught up with the news, but was there something to indicate this was race driven rather than genuinely trying to catch all those overstaying their VISAs, ie. the 95% of illegals in this country. People that overstay their VISAs are white Europeans as well. I don't really have an issue with random checks on people. If it's good enough for boat people, it's good enough for VISA overstayers.

Even if the intentions of it weren't race driven, they are never going to be able to get away with stopping anyone they want - and usually stopping people of color. Why should the rest of Melbourne be subjected to the prospect of being stopped - due to a small number of people over staying their VISA's?

In my experience people who use the term SJW seem to be the deluded ones. Maybe that's why you ignored my direct question four posts up.
Hey buddy, didn't intend to make you feel ignored. :)

I'm just saying that his ill-conceived comedy routines shouldn't be equated with genuine or honest political commentary... Defective illogical reasoning, weak argumentation, fallacious arguments and so on. With his current audience he is simply preaching to the choir now.

Any rational and well-meaning person wouldn't fall for such nonsense. There's no way anyone seriously gets their opinions from the Comedy Central. Leave proper analysis to national security experts, border security professionals - those who've studied these problems for decades and who have pragmatic solutions to these problems, not some bias 'comedian' who is paid to spout a few crummy jokes on a story he wouldn't give a rats arse about if it wasn't for his boss.

not the case...working holiday-makers are not citizens and they mostly have bank accounts. The visas they obtain are usually electronic and unable to be carried, so how were they going to check?
Fair enough re bank accounts, wasn't sure.

I can't say I've ever had an Australian VISA, for obvious reasons, but I've been to Russia, Vietnam and China which all required a VISA, which was attached to a page in my passport. The VISA applications for all countries stated that I must have my VISA on me at all times whilst in the country.

Why should the rest of Melbourne be subjected to the prospect of being stopped - due to a small number of people over staying their VISA's?
I just don't have a problem with being inconvenienced with 30 seconds out of my day to show ID.

If you have a read through the boat people thread, you'd know that there are a lot of people very concerned about illegals in this country.

Fair enough re bank accounts, wasn't sure.

I can't say I've ever had an Australian VISA, for obvious reasons, but I've been to Russia, Vietnam and China which all required a VISA, which was attached to a page in my passport. The VISA applications for all countries stated that I must have my VISA on me at all times whilst in the country.

All Australian visas are now electronic.

I just don't have a problem with being inconvenienced with 30 seconds out of my day to show ID.

If you have a read through the boat people thread, you'd know that there are a lot of people very concerned about illegals in this country.
You wouldn't be inconvenienced, although the caveat I have on that is I'm assuming you have pale skin.

You wouldn't be inconvenienced, although the caveat I have on that is I'm assuming you have pale skin.
If nothing else comes out of this, I think the government will have to be very careful in introducing any more policies on restricting our rights.

But how many are genuinely concerned, or like Maggie, are just parroting Left talking points that dishonestly use visa over stayers as an issue to attack government policy on stopping unlawful maritime people smuggler industry?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But how many are genuinely concerned, or like Maggie, are just parroting Left talking points that dishonestly use visa over stayers as an issue to attack government policy on stopping unlawful maritime people smuggler industry?
I can't help you if you can't see the difference. To think that I once thought you were an intelligent poster. How wrong I was!

Social Justice Warrior.

It's mainly used by racist, sexist homophobes as a pejorative directed at people who call them out for their racism, sexism and homophobia.

Ahhh, sign me up then.

Social Justice Warrior.

It's mainly used by racist, sexist homophobes as a pejorative directed at people who call them out for their racism, sexism and homophobia.
Interestingly it was first used by social science types to refer to proponents of critical race theory or critical social theory in the tumblr generation.

It was slightly pejorative but many embraced it.

It has broadened a lot though and is the new bleeding heart.

TBH critical theory as applied to the social sciences is daft, that feels and not empiricism matter. And tumblr is full of confused pseudo intellectual loons, which would be a point of ridicule, if so many staff in hummanities departments weren't also as aggressively unscientific. I think it will become a genuine point of academic contention in the future as critical race theory explicitly rejects rationalism and empiricism and the trend of experience trumping academic rigour cannot last unchallenged.

It also hurts researchers and advocates who take a thoughtful and intelligent approach.

This from someone who has been accused of every kind of evil soft on x/likes the wrong kind of cawwfeee label one can sling.

Interestingly it was first used by social science types to refer to proponents of critical race theory or critical social theory in the tumblr generation.

It was slightly pejorative but many embraced it.

It has broadened a lot though and is the new bleeding heart.

TBH critical theory as applied to the social sciences is daft, that feels and not empiricism matter. And tumblr is full of confused pseudo intellectual loons, which would be a point of ridicule, if so many staff in hummanities departments weren't also as aggressively unscientific. I think it will become a genuine point of academic contention in the future as critical race theory explicitly rejects rationalism and empiricism and the trend of experience trumping academic rigour cannot last unchallenged.

It also hurts researchers and advocates who take a thoughtful and intelligent approach.

This from someone who has been accused of every kind of evil soft on x/likes the wrong kind of cawwfeee label one can sling.
Does Google Translate have an 'academia' option? You lost me from "critical..."

The primary push for SJW to me seems to be the popular concept of labeling something so you can dismiss it. Label someone 'elite' or 'redneck' or 'hipster' or 'SJW' or 'mysoginist' or 'feminist' or whatever and they become a point of ridicule in your mind and you don't need to take them seriously or even listen to them. Stereotyping and pre-judging is super unhelpful in most cases. However, if it comes to someone who's viewpoint is largely based on one source it can be useful. The worst are people who just see 'left' and/or 'right'; effectively dismissing the myriad of opinions people hold based on a political shorthand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back