Australian Cricket Thread - No.3 🏏

Remove this Banner Ad

Once again I know it's terrible timing but SOS has just hit 3 consecutive sixes to bring up his ton. All but guaranteed that extra spot now you would have thought.

You would have thought so.
And good on him.

I like Shaun Marsh, and he does have the tools to make it at test level. Think he just needs to believe in himself a bit more.

You would have thought so.
And good on him.

I like Shaun Marsh, and he does have the tools to make it at test level. Think he just needs to believe in himself a bit more.
I'm a massive Shaun Marsh fan. Sits just below Clarke for me.

Absolutely agree on the confidence thing. Has more than enough talent but his confidence can be an alarming thing at times.

SOS was the ultimate party boy but it seems he has cleaned his act up a bit and now realises that hsi not young anymore and if he isn't careful his Aus career will be over.

Now his mind is right he just needs his body to back it up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In theory it's great for cricket. People can go watch and game of cricket and be home again within about 4 hours or so. Similar to a game of footy. They get to see plenty of 4's and 6's so everyone wins. It's about the time frame where people can take kids and not have them screaming the house down by the end of play. Plenty of distractions for the kids as well. That side of it is great.

In reality it's ripping the heart out of cricket. I.e. test match cricket. We're now left with guys who grow up playing stupid shots, and they don't know how to dig in for the long form of the game. Take a guy like Maxwell for example, he has all the talent in the world and could be an excellent test match player, but the crux of his game has been through the short form and he goes out playing ridiculous shots when given the chance in the test team.

Yeah to appeal to the neutrals. Supposed more exciting brand of cricket and less time consuming.

Of course its just a hit and giggle game but what the hell. Would be like the AFL introducing a game of 2 20min halves so that more people would come have a look.

The 50 over format of the game is all but dead in the water.
When only 14k turn up to the MCG on a Friday arvo surely there must be red flags everywhere.

And the T20 format is a huge hit. Have a look at the crowds for the Big Bash.
For T20's you only need to be there for about 3 hours compared to nearly 8 hours for an ODI.

When only 14k turn up to the MCG on a Friday arvo surely there must be red flags everywhere.

For T20's you only need to be there for about 3 hours compared to nearly 8 hours for an ODI.
Yeah no question. Makes me sad tbh. Its a far superior form of the game.

Also no question. As I mentioned above though, it would be the same as the AFL playing 2 20min halves of footy because more people could come. You can understand why the true enthusiasts of the game may not warm up to it as much as Joe Blow down the street.

For what its worth, I've played the game for 17 years and played at a high level (actually played in a team with Patty Cummins). My view is always going to be influenced because I love the tradition of the game.

The problem with T20 is that is destroying the fundamentals of cricket purely for entertainment purposes. It's ludicrous. The equivalent of a band selling out to make more cash. *cough* Greenday *cough*

Yeah no question. Makes me sad tbh. Its a far superior form of the game.

Also no question. As I mentioned above though, it would be the same as the AFL playing 2 20min halves of footy because more people could come. You can understand why the true enthusiasts of the game may not warm up to it as much as Joe Blow down the street.

For what its worth, I've played the game for 17 years and played at a high level (actually played in a team with Patty Cummins). My view is always going to be influenced because I love the tradition of the game.
Shortened footy wouldn't work as footy already goes for pretty much the perfect amount of time, but i see what you mean.

Test cricket is loved because it is an endurance contest. You need so many different skill sets to succeed in test cricket, and lots of those involve what is above your shoulders rather than physical skills. One Day Cricket represents a good battle between bat and ball still as there is at least a semblance of building a good innings as well as a good dose of boundary hitting. As a bowler in T20 your aim is to pretty much not get hit for more than 1 off each ball. Dot balls and wickets are just a bonus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back