Australian Cricket Thread - No.3 🏏

Remove this Banner Ad

Who do we think gets the opener spot? Marsh or Rogers?

Marsh has to come in for Watson btw. Absolute must.

Will be interesting to see which way they go but I'll be surprised if they overlook Rogers. I'd have him as my preferred option to open the batting with Warner.

Not as convinced as you with Marsh over Watson for the first test. With Harris retiring I think we may well look to Watto as an extra option with the ball.

Cummins has been rushed into the squad.....I wonder if they'll be tempted to bring him in. Could take Hazlewood's spot but surely they'll go with the latter first up.

Rogers
Warner
Smith
Clarke
Voges
Watson
Haddin
Johnson
Starc
Hazlewood
Lyon

That's my guess as to what we'll see for the first test.

Will be interesting to see which way they go but I'll be surprised if they overlook Rogers. I'd have him as my preferred option to open the batting with Warner.

Not as convinced as you with Marsh over Watson for the first test. With Harris retiring I think we may well look to Watto as an extra option with the ball.

Cummins has been rushed into the squad.....I wonder if they'll be tempted to bring him in. Could take Hazlewood's spot but surely they'll go with the latter first up.

Rogers
Warner
Smith
Clarke
Voges
Watson
Haddin
Johnson
Starc
Hazlewood
Lyon

Still Watson? Our problem in England isn't bowling, it's playing the swing. Mitch has showed he's got little problems with it. I'd argue he's equal with Watson as a bowler as well.

I'd be incredibly disappointed to still see Watto in the lineup.

Rogers
Warner
Smith
Clarke
Voges
Watson
Haddin
Johnson
Starc
Hazlewood
Lyon

I cant really see how they can leave S Marsh out TBH. has averaged 55 in tests since the start of last summer. Was in the 11 to bat @ 5 in the Caribbean until Buck got knocked out. Didnt set the world on fire at the top but he wasnt in the squad to open.
The selectors would know who their 11 are and at the start of the WI tour Voges wasnt in it. Not sure that would change after just 2 matches.. marsh has whacked em in tour matches as well... In saying all this the slectors may be thinking Voges is a better bet in the English conditions. so for me its its not Rogers V S marsh but S Marsh vs Voges. I find it hard to leave marsh out.

As for Watto V M Marsh. Watto has been a fave of mine for a long time and I have always defended him. I just dont feel he is the player he was 5 years ago. 5 Years ago if he wasnt scoring runs he still looked good and was creaming it everywhere and he had bowlers intimidated- I just feel he hasnt got this Aura about him any more. I think with the ball Marsh is behind watto but if we need to bolster batting I reckon Marsh gets the nod- that one is base don conditions for me untill someone nails it. Id play watto in the first test but he need to perform.

I also hope at some stage if the conditions call for it we arent afraid to play 2 spinners. Ahmed has something to offer in the test arena imo & I reckon Lyon would benefit from having another attacking tweaker.

My team come thursday-

Rogers
Warner
Smith
Clarke
Marsh
Watson
Haddin
Johnson
Starc
Hazlewood
Lyon

I cant really see how they can leave S Marsh out TBH. has averaged 55 in tests since the start of last summer. Was in the 11 to bat @ 5 in the Caribbean until Buck got knocked out. Didnt set the world on fire at the top but he wasnt in the squad to open.
The selectors would know who their 11 are and at the start of the WI tour Voges wasnt in it. Not sure that would change after just 2 matches.. marsh has whacked em in tour matches as well... In saying all this the slectors may be thinking Voges is a better bet in the English conditions. so for me its its not Rogers V S marsh but S Marsh vs Voges. I find it hard to leave marsh out.

As for Watto V M Marsh. Watto has been a fave of mine for a long time and I have always defended him. I just dont feel he is the player he was 5 years ago. 5 Years ago if he wasnt scoring runs he still looked good and was creaming it everywhere and he had bowlers intimidated- I just feel he hasnt got this Aura about him any more. I think with the ball Marsh is behind watto but if we need to bolster batting I reckon Marsh gets the nod- that one is base don conditions for me untill someone nails it. Id play watto in the first test but he need to perform.

I also hope at some stage if the conditions call for it we arent afraid to play 2 spinners. Ahmed has something to offer in the test arena imo & I reckon Lyon would benefit from having another attacking tweaker.

My team come thursday-

Rogers
Warner
Smith
Clarke
Marsh
Watson
Haddin
Johnson
Starc
Hazlewood
Lyon

Have been a Watto fan for a while, but has become impossible to argue for his inclusion as a pure batsman over
any of the other 7 candidates. He does, however, add a point of difference with his bowling. Mitch Marsh is a handy
bowler, but would be better served as 3rd prong to allow two spinners, as opposed to backing up a blue chip trio of quicks.
Not likely to dump a quick any time soon though. We also have the issue of bowling the allotted overs.

Selectors on a hiding to nothing, have to have an eye to the future . Would be a negative to have Rogers, Voges and
Watto going forward and leaving the Marsh boys out. Expecting Voges to be unlucky and miss. Toss a coin between
MM and Watto...horses for courses maybe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back