Workshop Australian Flag

Remove this Banner Ad

89% of the Australia population live in urban areas. How many have actually seen a Kangaroo live in its natural habitat? This does not include Zoos.

I would think it'd be fairly low.

There's a small bush behind my house have seen them there and I live in the Northern suburbs of Melbourne

89% of the Australia population live in urban areas. How many have actually seen a Kangaroo live in its natural habitat? This does not include Zoos.

I would think it'd be fairly low.
I literally see one or two a week when I drive to work. They are everywhere. I even had a pet kangaroo (well, euro wallaroo but same difference).

I literally see one or two a week when I drive to work. They are everywhere. I even had a pet kangaroo (well, euro wallaroo but same difference).

I'd say I have never, ever seen one in my general day to day activities. Maybe if I have a family holiday out in the rural areas, but thats it. I have been to Kangaroo Island, so I saw a lot on that trip (obviously :D)

We did have a koala up our tree once, but thats my exposure to native animals. I live in Glenelg, near the beach and 15 minutes from the Adelaide city FWIW.

I'd say I have never, ever seen one in my general day to day activities. Maybe if I have a family holiday out in the rural areas, but thats it. I have been to Kangaroo Island, so I saw a lot on that trip (obviously :D)

We did have a koala up our tree once, but thats my exposure to native animals. I live in Glenelg, near the beach and 15 minutes from the Adelaide city FWIW.
I live 20 minutes south of you :p

Anyway, here's my take on what our flag ought to be. Green/gold obvs, with a Southern Cross which is white to make it stand out.

We have to retain the Southern Cross, otherwise millions of tattoos nationwide would be rendered meaningless.

27yoln7.png

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC

Because it is a flag based on a revolution, rather than the freedoms that we as Australians have today. So it would be a national flag that has a history that doesn't necessarily match with what the nation would want to represent itself with.

Though it does symbolise nationalism (I will never deny that), it also could easily become a symbol of extreme patriotism and racism, especially if events like Cronulla occur again. Of course any flag could do that but by using a flag that has a deep heritage to the country, it would taint the legacy of the flag forever and overshadow the true meaning and history that it was originally created for.

The best and most logical move if we do adopt a new flag is to create something new that the future history of the nation is attached to while still respecting the past.

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
I'm sure I don't see as many faux flags as any of you, but this one always struck me as a pretty sweet design. Aside from the possible "we aren't giving any props to the indigenous people with this flag, either" side of the issue, why isn't this design more popular?

500px-Ausflag_2000_a.svg.png

Something along those lines for me.

But the commonwealth star should have six points to represent the six colonies at federation, the ACT and NT could be represented each by their own minor star underneath or next to. The seventh point was originally added when the British territory of Papua was handed over to Australia.

I would also lean towards all white stars or all yellow stars, not a mixture of both.

I would rule out anything too complicated that a primary school aged kid couldn't draw - so no kangaroos or stars with 200 black dots inside.

Because it is a flag based on a revolution, rather than the freedoms that we as Australians have today. So it would be a national flag that has a history that doesn't necessarily match with what the nation would want to represent itself with.

Though it does symbolise nationalism (I will never deny that), it also could easily become a symbol of extreme patriotism and racism, especially if events like Cronulla occur again. Of course any flag could do that but by using a flag that has a deep heritage to the country, it would taint the legacy of the flag forever and overshadow the true meaning and history that it was originally created for.

The best and most logical move if we do adopt a new flag is to create something new that the future history of the nation is attached to while still respecting the past.

How about just remove the union jack and place the star at the bottom left of the flag in the jacks place? (my laptop is broken so can't do it but you get the idea) :

9fc54df0930601868830a7083f393e5f.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC
How about just remove the union jack and place the star at the bottom left of the flag in the jacks place? (my laptop is broken so can't do it but you get the idea) :

9fc54df0930601868830a7083f393e5f.jpg

That has been suggested as a viable option, but for me it is a little too plain, but I am one as you can see from the suggestions I have posted am one for keeping the 3 colours in a completely new style.

Apr 23, 2012
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Sydney Swans, St Kilda Saints
Thatd be ok, but the problem with the crest is that its a little hard to render correctly everytime. I agree with what Craegus said, it should be simple for a child to draw but still be able to capture us as a nation.

Also as a hint to all. Its not the Union Jack unless its flown on the water, otherwise its known as the Union Flag. But thats just me being pedantic, flags have fascinated me since I was little

Mar 21, 2008
FNQ
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Devils, Tigers & Jackjumpers
I'm aboriginal. I don't need to see the aboriginal flag anywhere on the current flag to feel validated...

This country today has a history so varied that catering to every little group will give us something looking like the gay pride rainbow flag! Aboriginal history is important, and the actual nation of Australia is of British origin, sure, but today's mix is nothing like that, and won't be again...

So if we're going to get a new flag, it needs to stamp itself with something timeless and all-encompassing, which means no anachronistic Union Jack and no patronisingly token aboriginal flag stuck in the corner like a postage stamp. Also, it's a national flag, not a sporting flag, so no need to change to green and gold...

All of us, however, have one thing in common - our location. What we do with that location is up to us in the future. The Southern Cross has been there since before we were and will be there when we are extinct as a species (timeless - although astronomers will then argue about stellar drift, I guess...). While we're not the only country who can see it, we're the only one who bothers stamping it on everything we want to label as Australian - so it should be our flag.

Axe the Jack, rearrange the stars a bit, white stars on a deep blue night sky background. Perfect.

I like the idea of having a flag that unifies us rather than divides us.

We should have a monocoloured flag - one colour for all, we are all the same, rather than something like the rainbow flag which, funnily enough, paints everybody as different.

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC

I only see 2 issues with that;

1) Practicality: A flag has two sides. Today, many flags are screen printed as the cost of manufacturing flags by the appliqué increases. Designs or graphics, such as a map of Australia, will appear in reverse on the opposite side of a printed flag and will generally be inappropriate.

2) That is highly offensive to New South Wales and Queensland residents. How dare you place an AFL ball on the national flag!!!

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC
I like the idea of having a flag that unifies us rather than divides us.

We should have a monocoloured flag - one colour for all, we are all the same, rather than something like the rainbow flag which, funnily enough, paints everybody as different.

What like this?

500px-Flag_of_Libya_%281977-2011%29.svg.png

Last I heard it was now available :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back