Riccardo11

Cancelled
Jul 24, 2013
Allons-y!
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne
This is the Southern Horizon, the newest proposal to gain some steam. I quite like it:

1487472.png

Apr 23, 2012
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Sydney Swans, St Kilda Saints
This is the Southern Horizon, the newest proposal to gain some steam. I quite like it:

View attachment 108153
I saw this on Facebook. It is a nice idea. I don't think trying to to sell them and overcome the current flag is the way to go about changing it I think

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC

View attachment 108153

Looking at that image I hated it, but then looking it up and seeing photos of it flying I have started to like it a lot.

With that being said, I still don't think green and gold should be on our flag. They should switch them for red and white.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Looking at that image I hated it, but then looking it up and seeing photos of it flying I have started to like it a lot.

With that being said, I still don't think green and gold should be on our flag. They should switch them for red and white.

I disagree with this. If we're making a change, we shouldn't be adding more red and white, we should be taking it away. Green and gold are now synonymous with Australia and if we change our flag without adding green and gold, nobody will have any idea who the flag belongs to.

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC
I disagree with this. If we're making a change, we shouldn't be adding more red and white, we should be taking it away. Green and gold are now synonymous with Australia and if we change our flag without adding green and gold, nobody will have any idea who the flag belongs to.

Synonymous with sport yes, but not much else, as we are normally represented by out current flag. We are not the only nation who is represented by one set of colours on a flag and a different set for sport or other representative items.

New Zealand would be a case in point towards your side of the argument as one of their primary choices for a new flag is going down the silver fern route, but that is because that flag has been a secondary image for them for a long time and has become a national pride image for them. We don't have that, or those that we do have that could be considered have some reference that makes them not "for everyone" (e.g. Eureka flag).

But if the flag was to add the green and gold and dump red (like the one above), then as long as it looked ok (again like the one above) then I probably wouldn't have an issue with it.

Apr 23, 2012
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Sydney Swans, St Kilda Saints
Synonymous with sport yes, but not much else, as we are normally represented by out current flag. We are not the only nation who is represented by one set of colours on a flag and a different set for sport or other representative items.

New Zealand would be a case in point towards your side of the argument as one of their primary choices for a new flag is going down the silver fern route, but that is because that flag has been a secondary image for them for a long time and has become a national pride image for them. We don't have that, or those that we do have that could be considered have some reference that makes them not "for everyone" (e.g. Eureka flag).

But if the flag was to add the green and gold and dump red (like the one above), then as long as it looked ok (again like the one above) then I probably wouldn't have an issue with it.
Exactly. Just because our flag colours and sporting colours doesn't really matter. There are multiple countries that do that including India, Japan (I admit, this isn't all the time), New Zealand (although this may be changing) and the Netherlands

chibimatty

Club Legend
Nov 15, 2010
Western Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
WACA, Western Force, Arsenal, Glory
Weirdly, I like flag-blue and white or green'n'gold; but I don't like having blue, green and gold together. I think it might promote the idea that the three colours together are our national colours, which I'm not in favour of.

Heato

Rookie
Sep 9, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Coorparoo Kings, Tottenham Hotspur
NewAustralianFlag2.png

Thought I'd have a crack at something.
Celebrates the coming together of the two prominent cultures of this land under the Southern Cross.

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC
View attachment 111896
Thought I'd have a crack at something.
Celebrates the coming together of the two prominent cultures of this land under the Southern Cross.

But what about the other cultures which make up Australia?

Nothing against you, but any design that incorporates the Aboriginal flag (which will never happen as the owner of the design has said it will never be used as the national flag) will cause a far greater divide than what there is now as it will make it seem like the Aboriginal people are more important than others, even the other indigenous group, the Torres Strait Islanders (who never seem to be represented in these combination flags). The best national flag for Australia is one that recognises everyone as well as no-one at the same time (i.e. a flag that has no links to any specific group or other country and brings everyone together under a single unified banner)

Heato

Rookie
Sep 9, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Coorparoo Kings, Tottenham Hotspur
But what about the other cultures which make up Australia?

Nothing against you, but any design that incorporates the Aboriginal flag (which will never happen as the owner of the design has said it will never be used as the national flag) will cause a far greater divide than what there is now as it will make it seem like the Aboriginal people are more important than others, even the other indigenous group, the Torres Strait Islanders (who never seem to be represented in these combination flags). The best national flag for Australia is one that recognises everyone as well as no-one at the same time (i.e. a flag that has no links to any specific group or other country and brings everyone together under a single unified banner)
You're right. My bad. I wave my white flag.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs

View attachment 108153

Ultimately I don't really mind how the final design ends up, but these are the elements I want.

Predominantly blue with the southern cross and the commonwealth stars in white, then sections of green and gold.

Shaunyk

Team Captain
Mar 31, 2013
Glenelg
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg FC
the only thing currently on the flag that means anything to me as uniquely Australian is the Commonwealth Star.

The other colours and elements can gtfo.

Shabi19

Debutant
Nov 3, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
For me that's when it should happen anyway, It's not a big enough issue that there's any real urgency (its more about getting it right) and until then we are a part of the commonwealth and so our current flag suits well enough. Plus it just feels right to start Australia as a republic, under a new flag.

Jul 14, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool // Ferrari
For me that's when it should happen anyway, It's not a big enough issue that there's any real urgency (its more about getting it right) and until then we are a part of the commonwealth and so our current flag suits well enough. Plus it just feels right to start Australia as a republic, under a new flag.
That was more what I was trying to say. As we are now we're still linked to the Commonwealth. When we inevitably decide to cut those ties, that's when we change our flag. Not any sooner, nor any later.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
just stumbled across this thread
im pretty sure the southern cross can be seen from everywhere in the southern hemisphere. so that's not Australian.
and stars are hard for kids to draw.
why cant we just adopt the design of the French/Italian flags (rectangle divvied up in 3rds) - why does it have to be something creative?
most flags are just like those two, either horizontal or vertical segments.
the biggest issue is the colours to choose, and how many. 3 (red, white and blue), 2 (green and gold), or the hell with it, pick something completely different.

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
just stumbled across this thread
im pretty sure the southern cross can be seen from everywhere in the southern hemisphere. so that's not Australian.
and stars are hard for kids to draw.
why cant we just adopt the design of the French/Italian flags (rectangle divvied up in 3rds) - why does it have to be something creative?
most flags are just like those two, either horizontal or vertical segments.
the biggest issue is the colours to choose, and how many. 3 (red, white and blue), 2 (green and gold), or the hell with it, pick something completely different.
I'd say go with green, obsidian and gold. However with your descriptions of "rectangle divvied up in 3rds":
Gabon:
Flag_of_Gabon.jpg

St. Vincent:
svaty-vincenc-a-grenadiny.png

And there's another one I think I'm forgetting in somewhere in Africa, but in the end, we shouldn't really be too similar to these flags.

EDIT: Was thinking of Tanzania, but that had black in it.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
I'd say go with green, obsidian and gold. However with your descriptions of "rectangle divvied up in 3rds":
Gabon:
Flag_of_Gabon.jpg

St. Vincent:
svaty-vincenc-a-grenadiny.png

And there's another one I think I'm forgetting in somewhere in Africa, but in the end, we shouldn't really be too similar to these flags.

EDIT: Was thinking of Tanzania, but that had black in it.
seems to be popular then its already out there! :)
hmm, what if we made our flag square, divided in two?

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
seems to be popular then its already out there! :)
hmm, what if we made our flag square, divided in two?
Vatican City and San Marino already have that 'original' idea.
I don't know, we just need something that 80-90% of the population will be happy with. Not an easy feat.

Back