Workshop Australian Flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone out there do a graphic.
images

Have you ever realised how phallic a Kangaroo's skull is? No? Try tracing it with the pen tool.
Great idea ruined..

The problem is, if you adopt a horizontal or vertical tricolour, it is a historical nod to other countries which is not warranted. The Italian flag was based on the French one. But a vertical tricolour would be an explicit nod to France and Italy (among others, Belgium etc), countries which there is no reason for Australia to display a specific allegiance with. Similarly, any horizontal tricolour will remind of Germany, Netherlands and others (Gabon etc). The circle would be a strong and unwarranted nod to Japan, even despite the aboriginal flag.

It suddenly occurred to me to try to retain the geometry of our existing flag (and the aboriginal flag), whilst also creating something that was new and uniquely recognisable in its geometry.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Topical bump. I think this is actually brilliant and understated.

Red on top, yellow on bottom. Representative of the Aboriginal Flag. Green and blue representative of the Torres Strait Islander Flag.

Green and gold right next to each other, our de facto national colours. Red and blue next to each other, a hod to the British part of our history.

Very good.

Some minor alterations could be the following, although your original is good as it is.

upload_2015-9-6_6-28-13.png upload_2015-9-6_6-29-52.png upload_2015-9-6_6-32-24.png upload_2015-9-6_6-33-49.png

Topical bump. I think this is actually brilliant and understated.

Red on top, yellow on bottom. Representative of the Aboriginal Flag. Green and blue representative of the Torres Strait Islander Flag.

Green and gold right next to each other, our de facto national colours. Red and blue next to each other, a hod to the British part of our history.

Very good.

Rule of thumb: if you have to explain it, it won't work. Flags really need that instant connection with people's perceptions about their country.

Agree with MysteryGal. I think the quarters is too simple and doesn't say Australia at all.

I do like the use of the 4 colours, but the design is way too generic. I know simple designs are good, but that's too simple. It doesn't say anything.

Rule of thumb: if you have to explain it, it won't work. Flags really need that instant connection with people's perceptions about their country.
So what makes us know that France's flag says France? Do any of us apart from the French know. It would need to be explained. Sorry if I'm not making sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back