Australian Frank Worrel Trophy & Ashes squad - 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm really pleased to see Voges get rewarded with a touring party gig at least. If he is selected at test level probably comes down to a middle order batting battle for two positions (5 and 6) between Voges, Maxwell, Watson with the Marsh boys on the outer.

Ahmed's got a job ahead of him to replace Lyon but it's great to see his SS season get rewarded as well.

I'm really pleased to see Voges get rewarded with a touring party gig at least. If he is selected at test level probably comes down to a middle order batting battle for two positions (5 and 6) between Voges, Maxwell, Watson with the Marsh boys on the outer.

Ahmed's got a job ahead of him to replace Lyon but it's great to see his SS season get rewarded as well.

Mitch Marsh is going to have to get used to being permanent drinks boy for a while you'd have to say.

You are aware that Maxwell isn't in the squad?

Mitch Marsh is going to have to get used to being permanent drinks boy for a while you'd have to say.

You are aware that Maxwell isn't in the squad?

Unfortunately yes. Unless Watson is removed but than there is maybe still Maxwell to trump for the all rounder role.

The frustrating thing is when he looks to have made a place in the team he will get injured again and have to bide his time to get back in

I think the selectors have done the right thing by rewarding Voges and Ahmed for great seasons in the shield. Talent is one thing but you gotta start rewarding performances too. It'll also show blokes who are starting to approach their 30's that if they perform they will still get a shot. The selections of Hussey, Cowan, Rogers too have shown that.

Burns is unlucky but unfortunately for him someone has to miss out. Faulkner too would be tantalizingly close to the squad. Both will get a chance at some point. There is going to be a lot of retirements and openings immediately after the Ashes, and for probably the next 12 months.

It's been a while, but finally it feels like we have good players sitting outside of the squad, rather than guys in the squad who aren't going to be up to it. Every player in that squad you feel will at least make a fist of it if they are called up at some point.

Disappointed with the lack of Faulkner, Maxwell , Cummins or Pattinson. Pleased for Voges, mind, but would have dropped SMarsh for an all rounder.
Why another all rounder?
We need the back up batsman in Marsh/Voges. We'll only play one all rounder in the eleven so why pick three in a squad of 17? Bit of an issue not having a back up opener actually imo.

With the guys you've said were unlucky
Faulkner - no first class tons. Needs to start making them or needs to start taking bags of wickets to make the side as a bowler.
Maxwell - although his first class stats are ok, he marked his cards in the UAE. Needs to have a ridiculous start to the next shield season to be in the frame.
Cummins - hasn't played first class cricket in years so won't play test cricket. Needs to get back to first class cricket ASAP (ie next summer)
Pattinson - got outperformed by Siddle when they played together in the shield and never really fired a shot in test cricket outside of Australia. His time will come though.

Don't mind the squads, though surprised by the lack of Faulkner and Maxwell in the A squad.

One can only assume they have signed county contracts, and perhaps CA would prefer them playing in England than on an A tour in India.

A squad is very much a development side, not many blokes over about 27 - probably why Cowan isn't in it.

Very pleased that Usman is Captain, he is an untapped talent and needs to get his attitude right. Captaincy of a squad like this should assist.

What are the opportunities over the winter for those who missed out? Australia A to India? English country cricket? English high standard club leagues?

Both Voges and Rogers not available from their county teams - does that open a space for Burns, Faulkner?

Don't mind the squads, though surprised by the lack of Faulkner and Maxwell in the A squad.

One can only assume they have signed county contracts, and perhaps CA would prefer them playing in England than on an A tour in India.

A squad is very much a development side, not many blokes over about 27 - probably why Cowan isn't in it.

Very pleased that Usman is Captain, he is an untapped talent and needs to get his attitude right. Captaincy of a squad like this should assist.

Maxwell is in the A squad - http://www.cricket.com.au/news/aust...of-india-usman-khawaja-pat-cummins/2015-03-31

I wouldn't be surprised if Faulkner is announced to be going in for surgery shortly to get his body right for next summer - he only just got to the line for the WC finals. No Patto is also a sign that his body is still a long way from being up to international standard.

Good balance in the A squad. Strong recognition of Shield performances this year, though I would have picked Ferguson ahead of Maddinson for the 4-day squad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the selectors have done the right thing by rewarding Voges and Ahmed for great seasons in the shield. Talent is one thing but you gotta start rewarding performances too. It'll also show blokes who are starting to approach their 30's that if they perform they will still get a shot. The selections of Hussey, Cowan, Rogers too have shown that.

Burns is unlucky but unfortunately for him someone has to miss out. Faulkner too would be tantalizingly close to the squad. Both will get a chance at some point. There is going to be a lot of retirements and openings immediately after the Ashes, and for probably the next 12 months.

It's been a while, but finally it feels like we have good players sitting outside of the squad, rather than guys in the squad who aren't going to be up to it. Every player in that squad you feel will at least make a fist of it if they are called up at some point.

Agree with this although I don't think either player is good enough. I would have preferred they pick the young player who might give us ten years than a bloke having a shiny season after a 15 years of being not good enough. But in principle the idea of picking the best bowler and batter in domestic is appealing.

Not worried about the bowlers who weren't picked, there will inevitably be injuries.

Voges hasn't had 15 years of being not good enough.

Before this shield season even started he had the best record outside the Test XI of any shield batsman, except Cosgrove and D.Hussey and D.huss has been short of runs for 4 years now.

For mine - the only odd selection was Siddle. Though I daresay he is just a teaser pony until Patto is fit.

Burns and SMarsh could have been raffled, had England had a quality spinner I'd err towards Burns

Marsh is a much better red ball bowler than Watson now and roughly equivalent batsmen, so hopefully he is picked ahead of watson.

Also - I don't see a spot for faulkner in our test line-up. He isn't a good enough batsman to hold down No 6 or a good enough bowler to be our 4th option.

He is effective in ODI due to his changes of pace, variations etc - but that is because batsmen look to force the pace.

What we are seeing from the selectors is acknowledgement that ODI and test cricket require vastly different skills. Some players transfer and others don't.

Going with an XI of:

Warner
Rogers
Smith
Clarke
S Marsh
M Marsh
Haddin
Johnson
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

Watson, Nevill, Ahmed, Voges, Siddle

For the A team:

Bancroft
Burns
Khawaja
Maddinson
Handscomb
Stoinis
Wade (+)
Agar
O'Keefe
Cummins
Fekete

With the guys you've said were unlucky
Faulkner - no first class tons. Needs to start making them or needs to start taking bags of wickets to make the side as a bowler.

Faulkner has improved his batting over the last 18 months (a little bit to the detriment of his bowling IMO) but hasn't had a chance to show it - only 5 shield games in 2 seasons - as he is always in the one day and T20 squads or the waterboy for the test squad.

Faulkner has improved his batting over the last 18 months (a little bit to the detriment of his bowling IMO) but hasn't had a chance to show it - only 5 shield games in 2 seasons - as he is always in the one day and T20 squads or the waterboy for the test squad.

Then let him prove it for Australia A.

Also I'm not sure how relevant runs scored in the last 10-15 overs of ODIs are to test cricket.

Faulkner's bowling is fantastic for ODI's and so is his batting, which makes him one of the first picked for the ODI team. Neither of his disciplines is really suited to the longer form however, and I honestly can't see a place for him in the foreseeable future.

Over the moon for Voges and Ahmed. Well deserved.

Shane Watson though? FFS.

yon has an inferior average and strike rate to Hauritz now. Time to get a bowler in who can create more chances. Almost fell asleep just then thinking about Lyon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back