Other Australian Gridiron Leagues

Remove this Banner Ad

thanks for the writeup and vids.

it's great for the NSW league that the two clubs that arent from the Sydney metro area, and were 1st from last and last in division 1 last season, were represented in the colts championship game.

hopefully these kids will play on in the next few years and give the Illawarra and Central Coast some strong senior football teams that will compete with the established clubs here in the city.

Double header out at Ranger Field today in GV. 2pm the main event Rangers V Buccs in top of the table clash. If you're in the area or not doing anything today then get down there for it's sure to be a great game!

p.s Go Buccs!

Gridiron in Australia

I have now watched a number of Gridironwest games.
I have two questions.
1. How do you rate the standard of American Football in Australia especially WA.
2.There's a guy going to the USA on a college scholarship. He's good; would make an excellentg breakaway in RU or rover in AR. But he's 70kg and 5' 9" at best. Is he too small to go far ?

Re: Gridiron in Australia

Its a joke really, middle school level is spot on.

I tried to join a team over here in WA, but didn't bother after watching them train and after seeing a game. Deplorable.

But you can't complain, its not like its a big time sport over here, not many people even know the rules.. Let alone know how to play it well!

Its a joke really, middle school level is spot on.

I tried to join a team over here in WA, but didn't bother after watching them train and after seeing a game. Deplorable.

But you can't complain, its not like its a big time sport over here, not many people even know the rules.. Let alone know how to play it well!
:( We were such a rabble, we had no idea. We were trying plays we'd never use in a game! (Tight-end around! :eek:) During games, our QB would then make up random s*** from the passing tree! Luckily, people don't even know there's a comp here, let a lone what a low level it is or we were. People were impressed, to some degree, that I just played. It's a bit of a shame, it would've been great to have learnt to play outside linebacker, defensive line, tight end properly, but we barely went through a training session properly, hence, we we s***! :(

I like how the game is in Victoria. It's never going to be the standard that it is in the USA because they grow up around it and it comes naturally to them. It's like us and AFL, just comes naturally. So getting our heads around a very technical and foreign game can be difficult but with teams like the Buccaneers, Rangers and Warriors, You can get some good quality football out of them. Especially Buccs V Rangers, always a tight defensive battle.

As well as having 10 teams in the league and possibly more this season, it's beginning to thrive. I'm also aware that it can quite quickly die down again but if we do our job right and are able to retain players then it's going to be great.

If anyone wants to catch some football today, the new Australian Gridiron League kicks off today at the State Netball Hockey Centre down in Parkville Vic. The Victorian Eagles play host to the WA Raiders. Game starts at 2:30pm

go you ****ing raiders

waraiders-gw.com_.png

Heard it was a pretty good defensive battle but WA was too strong in the end.

Should be going to the NSW/QLD game here in Brissy later this month but apparently it clashes with a Suns home game :(

On a personal level though I spent a "cup of coffee" worth of time over at the Ravens upon my moving to Queensland and I'm now apart of GQ's new Pine Rivers Rampage team getting up off the ground for this season while also trying to get my foot in the door of the behind the scenes stuff.

If anyone wishes I can post scores of the NSW and QLD league games for those that want to keep track of the other states leagues.

Ok great, Obviously GQ doesn't start until August but the GNSW Juniors are playing at this time of year.

For those that don't know, UTS dropped one of their two teams with the Spartans being absorbed into the Titans team, While the Predators are now the club with two Junior division teams with the Jaguars and the Panthers taking the field this year.

Week 1
North Western Panthers 28
Bondi Raiders 42

West Sydney Trojans 24

Sutherland Seahawks 18

Sydney University Cubs 8
Wollongong Brumbies 52

Penrith City Chiefs 0
North Western Jaguars 0
Postponed due to rain - field closed

Central Coast Sharks 0
Uni of Technology Titans 0
Postponed due to rain - field closed

Week 2
North Western Panthers 58
Uni of Technology Titans 18

West Sydney Trojans 68
North Western Jaguars 14

Penrith City Chiefs 20
Sydney University Cubs 40

Wollongong Brumbies 34
Sutherland Seahawks 0

Bondi Raiders 38
Central Coast Sharks 20

Week 3
Sutherland Seahawks 6
Bondi Raiders 52

Uni of Technology Titans 14
Sydney University Cubs 22

Penrith City Chiefs 22
West Sydney Trojans 62

Central Coast Sharks 34
North Western Panthers 12

Wollongong Brumbies 80 - I kid you not.
North Western Jaguars 0

That's as much as I know so far.

What I do know is that the Brumbies have a new Head Coach and he is working wonders on an already great team (Not tooting the horn but when the lowest margin of victory is 34 points...), I did some running with the boys while I was down home for Xmas and I was just getting killed in the speed and fitness department - I can assume he has them extremely well drilled too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where do the Bondi Raiders exactly play (field name). I wouldn't mind checking them out.
In short, They don't have a set home game field, All the teams go to fields that are more or less neutral unless your playing Wollongong or Central Coast at home (And the Brumbies and Sharks home games are way down in number from 2011)

Most of the games are on a Friday night and either before or after another game, All playoff games (3 rounds) are being played at Endeavour Sports High on the "5sports" field.

Heard it was a pretty good defensive battle but WA was too strong in the end.

Yeah, WA is such a big bodied team and were too strong for the Eagles. It wasn't Victoria's day. When we finally got going in the last quarter and looked to score, the ball got fumbled on the 1yd line and bounced out the back of the end zone for a touchback and Raiders ball.

There is one SA referee who would be in hiding after his woeful performance. Even had the GV president who was commentating taking sly shots at him. It did get the crowd fired up though and they were the loudest they had ever been that day.

Yeah, WA is such a big bodied team and were too strong for the Eagles. It wasn't Victoria's day. When we finally got going in the last quarter and looked to score, the ball got fumbled on the 1yd line and bounced out the back of the end zone for a touchback and Raiders ball.

There is one SA referee who would be in hiding after his woeful performance.
Even had the GV president who was commentating taking sly shots at him. It did get the crowd fired up though and they were the loudest they had ever been that day.
and here I thought it was just the Queensland refs that had a bad case of the Derps.

Updated the current GNSW Juniors results onto my page 39 post

Apparently no one plays defence in NSW anymore.

Australian Gridiron League - Week 2
NSW 52 - VIC 22
WA 32 - QLD 10

GNSW Colts - Week 4
Sydney Uni 28 - Sutherland 28 - Game Called Due to Injury.
NW Jaguars 0 - Bondi 22 - Game shortened due to injury above and then called for another injury.
Wollongong 38 - NW Panthers 22
West Sydney 34 - Central Coast 42
UTS 20 - Penrith City 14

QLD is currently over in WA to take on the Raiders and then the week after QLD is at home to NSW (I'm currently deciding between going to that one or the Suns home opener...)

Two GNSW u18 games were played last night, Sydney Uni vs Sutherland and Bondi vs NW Jaguars. I've yet to hear of any scores (Typical knowing my mates) but I am aware that a Sydney Uni player copped a pretty bad injury on the final play of the game requiring an ambulance to be called and causing the second game to be shortened and then an injury acquired by a Jaguars player early in the second half resulted in another ambulance having to be called and the game unfortunately having to be called early, Hopefully both the Uni and Jags players are going to be ok and back on the field soon.

Rumor has it that Bondi won the second game but with no official channel to receive scores from I have to rely on hearsay and scuttlebutt.

3 more games are being played today/tonight in Sydney - If I hear anything I'll keep you guys updated with that and the QLD/WA game as much as I can.

My apologies for not updating this thread more often but I figure this one might be important as this years NSW Colts Division Championship Game is a replay of last years decider with the same result as the Wollongong Brumbies knocked off the Central Coast Sharks by a score of 42-30.

and because I now live up over the border in the Canada of Oz, That's all I know - But I do know that I'm super proud of all the guys including my teammates from last year that can now lay claim to a second Title ring and if you count the 2 remaining NSW Jr National Title team members still age eligible for this season: A third.

I'm so thankful to have spent as much time as I did with the team when I made my trip down over the new year and hope that I contributed even the tiniest iota of tonight's win.

But all of the credit goes to the club, I can only hope that they continue this success into the seniors season.

http://www.wspirates.com/index_files/Page1182.htm - The seasons results can be found there.

Cheers.

I was considering playing Gridiron in Victoria next season, specifically with the Northern Raiders. Can anyone give me a bit of a write up on the quality, expectations and what not. If it helps I was probably going to try for a DB or WR although I'm hesitant about playing due to my size (5'11 and 65kg), I do play footy now but the contact is different from that so could I survive?

I was considering playing Gridiron in Victoria next season, specifically with the Northern Raiders. Can anyone give me a bit of a write up on the quality, expectations and what not. If it helps I was probably going to try for a DB or WR although I'm hesitant about playing due to my size (5'11 and 65kg), I do play footy now but the contact is different from that so could I survive?

PM Chadwiko who I believe has your body dimensions give n' take a few kilo's.. he played local league gridiron last year I believe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back