Other Australian Gridiron Leagues

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Gridiron in Australia

I was considering playing Gridiron in Victoria next season, specifically with the Northern Raiders. Can anyone give me a bit of a write up on the quality, expectations and what not. If it helps I was probably going to try for a DB or WR although I'm hesitant about playing due to my size (5'11 and 65kg), I do play footy now but the contact is different from that so could I survive?

I played gridiron in victoria (2 years ago, did preseason this year but had no time but ill most likely get back into it next year, possibly with the raiders as their closer to my current house than my old team) and there is quite to get adjusted to coming from a footy background.

I was around 5'11 69kg when i played and i played CB and FS for most of the season and i felt really light compared to others, although that couldve been more mental as most people playing those positions are around that height and weight. Currently im about 82kg and would feel alot more comfortable on the field if i was out there now. However it all depends how you can take a hit with pads on, that was the dealbreaker for many people who tried out. Once the pads and helmets were on and people started getting hit alot of them wanted nothing to do with it anymore.

The quality is decent id say with most offenses run based and the majority of the passes are just hail maries that are thrown up to the fast guy or the tall guy.

I played gridiron in victoria (2 years ago, did preseason this year but had no time but ill most likely get back into it next year, possibly with the raiders as their closer to my current house than my old team) and there is quite to get adjusted to coming from a footy background.

I was around 5'11 69kg when i played and i played CB and FS for most of the season and i felt really light compared to others, although that couldve been more mental as most people playing those positions are around that height and weight. Currently im about 82kg and would feel alot more comfortable on the field if i was out there now. However it all depends how you can take a hit with pads on, that was the dealbreaker for many people who tried out. Once the pads and helmets were on and people started getting hit alot of them wanted nothing to do with it anymore.

The quality is decent id say with most offenses run based and the majority of the passes are just hail maries that are thrown up to the fast guy or the tall guy.
Cheers for that Hlebalicious, very helpful. Thinking I'm going to give it a crack and at least try. Have no problem with taking a hit as being small I'm used to people trying to take me out and pick on me. Will just have to tryout and see how I go. Thanks.

Cheers for that Hlebalicious, very helpful. Thinking I'm going to give it a crack and at least try. Have no problem with taking a hit as being small I'm used to people trying to take me out and pick on me. Will just have to tryout and see how I go. Thanks.
Yeh ur best bet is to just get out there and give it a shot, some people are just made for certain sports and you never know if u don't try. Also id rather get shirtfronted in an footy game than blindsided in a gridiron game, that helmet is used as a weapon and not a safety device by most people.

Yeh ur best bet is to just get out there and give it a shot, some people are just made for certain sports and you never know if u don't try. Also id rather get shirtfronted in an footy game than blindsided in a gridiron game, that helmet is used as a weapon and not a safety device by most people.
Been there, Taken that shot.

But touching on the weight thing, My friend fits into that really light and skinny typecast and does a pretty solid job as a DB up here, He has little fear and is a resilient little blighter though.

You owe it to yourself to try it, I said that same line to myself over a year ago and I've never looked back. :thumbsu:

I recall being positioned as Back Judge (rare position) in a game back early in the last decade and one of the defenders (free safety) would seem, give n' take a few kilo's heavier, same body size, roaming free deep FS... collided into me accidently and let it be said, I was the only one standing. :p

Luck for him it wasn't a pass play.. would of been burned on all fours. :D

Officiated mostly as a Lineman. Did a couple as Umpire (in the D middle) where it was 'brace yourself' being always aware of the LB'ers as the man in motion moves accross. Looking at the snap, NT plus two guards for movement/ holds.. Dodged a few bullets with one of the star Afro-American import (Donovan) QB's back in the day leaping over me as he got on the outside for a run. Got helmet hit once which more to do with backing into guys running off the field. High tempo game that makes you even forget it's even 'stop start' as the cry babies try to remind us who obviously have an inferior understanding of Gridiron.

Those who have never put on a uniform or even seen a live game (in person) and run their mouth usually are the first ones to LOOK INCREDIBLY STUPID when the burning questions are coming thick n' fast as I really embarrassed a few back at the bar where I worked. :D Love the TAUNT! :thumbsu::thumbsu:

I was considering playing Gridiron in Victoria next season, specifically with the Northern Raiders. Can anyone give me a bit of a write up on the quality, expectations and what not. If it helps I was probably going to try for a DB or WR although I'm hesitant about playing due to my size (5'11 and 65kg), I do play footy now but the contact is different from that so could I survive?

You'll be fine as long as you go hard 100% which I'm sure you would by the sounds of things. I'm 5'9 and 60-64kg and play DB. It's loads of fun and the Raiders are a great team to start off with besides the Buccs ;)

Channel 31 in Victoria have a half hour show dedicated to Grid Iron Victoria.
The first episode was on Monday 11th June at 6:30pm and was repeated today at 2pm.
According to the GridIron Victoria website it will be on every 2nd Monday of each month, with a repeat on the Saturday.

Just a heads up for anyone on here who may have played for the Nunawading / Monash Warriors that there is a celebration of the 25 years of the club with a reunion of all current and past players tomorrow night (Saturday 21st July). PM me for details if you're interested in attending... no charge that I know of... there's a Facebook event page with all of the details that I can invite you to if you are keen. Should be around 100 peeps in attendance. :)

Big weekend in Gridiron Victoria.
TOMORROW:
L.E Cotchin Reserve, Massey Avenue, Reservoir
DIV 1 - 10:30am - Western Crusaders V Bay City Buccaneers
If the Buccaneers win, they will go straight through to their 3rd straight VicBowl appearance and have a shot at back to back titles.

DIV 2 - 1:30pm - Northern Raiders V Gippsland Gladiators
Raiders need a win to keep them in the hunt for 2nd place and a home final.

SUNDAY
Monash University, Clayton
DIV 2 - 10:30am - Monash Barbarians V Croydon Stars
DIV 1 - 1:30pm - Monash Warriors V Croydon Rangers
Both Monash teams need wins to keep them in the hunt for 2nd and a home final. Saying that, if Warriors win and Buccaneers lose then Warriors on tiebreak will go through to the VicBowl and Buccs will host semi final against Crusaders.

If you are around, get down and support the local league. Referees are in a form slump but still some big hits and great plays to see.

Buccaneers defeat Crusaders 40-0 and with that secures 1st place and a ticket to the VicBowl.

EDIT: In other games: Raiders defeated the Glads, Barbarians defeated the Stars in a tight battle and the Rangers held on to upset the fast finishing Warriors 30-26.

This weekend is all cross divisional games. Div 1 sides expected to win. Div 2 not expected to cause an upset but who knows.

GRIDIRON VICTORIA

This weekend tune in to Channel 31 (Digital 44) on Saturday at 2pm for a special Pre Finals episode of GVTV!
The episode should be online hopefully not long after it airs.

Follow that up with Semi Final action down at L.E Cotchin Reserve in Reservoir on Sunday for two ripper games.

In the early game at 10:30am the Div 2 match sees the Monash Barbarians take on the reigning Div 2 champs Northern Raiders for a place in the Division 2 Championship to take on the Melbourne Royals

Then at 1:30pm it's the Div 1 semi between the Monash Warriors and Western Crusaders. The winner will take on the reigning VicBowl Champions the Bay City Buccaneers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The biggest event on Australia's sporting calendar is here!
TGI Fridays VicBowl XXVIII is on THIS SUNDAY August 26th at Moorabbin Oval in Linton Street, Moorabbin.

The Div 2 Championship sees the Melbourne Royals take on the Monash Barbarians at 10:30am.
The Royals earnt a spot in the final by finishing on top of the ladder with a 7-5 record. They take on the Barbarians who fought out a QUADRUPLE OVERTIME thriller over the Northern Raiders in Reservoir last week in very muddy conditions.

My Tip: Royals by 8

Following that we have the main event, VICBOWL XXVIII which sees the reigning champions the Bay City Buccaneers take on an equally impressive Monash Warriors at 1:30pm

The Warriors despite a slow start (in the same muddy conditions) proceeded to take apart the Western Crusaders in their semi final win. They face the Buccaneers who after a 28-6 loss to the Warriors in Round 1 went undefeated for the rest of the season to finish 11-1 and top of the ladder.

History says that the team with the week off will not win the VicBowl. Can the Buccs be the first team that goes all the way with the break? Or will the Warriors potentially cap off a Monash sweep if the Barbs also win?

My Tip: I'd love the Buccs to flog the Warriors so I am able to hold up the trophy again but it should be a lot closer and the winning margin will be less than a score. Buccs win still of course ;)

United States Consul General Frank C. Urbancic, Jr and St Kilda captain Nick Riewoldt will be our special guests for the day.

$5 entry per car

For more info, check the facebook event or gridironvictoria.com.au

Hope to see you there! :thumbsu:

The biggest event on Australia's sporting calendar is here!
TGI Fridays VicBowl XXVIII is on THIS SUNDAY August 26th at Moorabbin Oval in Linton Street, Moorabbin.

The Div 2 Championship sees the Melbourne Royals take on the Monash Barbarians at 10:30am.
The Royals earnt a spot in the final by finishing on top of the ladder with a 7-5 record. They take on the Barbarians who fought out a QUADRUPLE OVERTIME thriller over the Northern Raiders in Reservoir last week in very muddy conditions.

My Tip: Royals by 8

Following that we have the main event, VICBOWL XXVIII which sees the reigning champions the Bay City Buccaneers take on an equally impressive Monash Warriors at 1:30pm

The Warriors despite a slow start (in the same muddy conditions) proceeded to take apart the Western Crusaders in their semi final win. They face the Buccaneers who after a 28-6 loss to the Warriors in Round 1 went undefeated for the rest of the season to finish 11-1 and top of the ladder.

History says that the team with the week off will not win the VicBowl. Can the Buccs be the first team that goes all the way with the break? Or will the Warriors potentially cap off a Monash sweep if the Barbs also win?

My Tip: I'd love the Buccs to flog the Warriors so I am able to hold up the trophy again but it should be a lot closer and the winning margin will be less than a score. Buccs win still of course ;)

United States Consul General Frank C. Urbancic, Jr and St Kilda captain Nick Riewoldt will be our special guests for the day.

$5 entry per car

For more info, check the facebook event or gridironvictoria.com.au

Hope to see you there! :thumbsu:

Warriors will win :D My ol' Boys... you playing Bucketss?

Sure am mate, Buccs 81. cornerback. Time to get some revenge for 2010

I'll came and say Hi...and if you're playing too well, me and the ol' early 90s Warriors gang might have to take you out! :D Good luck anyways, hope you have a good game!

I'll came and say Hi...and if you're playing too well, me and the ol' early 90s Warriors gang might have to take you out! :D Good luck anyways, hope you have a good game!

Haha I'll watch out for it as I am hoping for a stellar performance, last time we played I had a probably my best game so confidence is high! I'll be sure to catch up with you after and give my comisserations ;) but really I'm expecting game of the decade to occur.

I see on the Facebook page for VicBowl that there's over 500 marked as going now... Good stuff :thumbsu:

Any other BF posters going? I'll be there between 11.30~12.00 to catch the end of the Barbs game before the big clash!

Good luck Bucketss.

Cheers mate. :D

I see on the Facebook page for VicBowl that there's over 500 marked as going now... Good stuff :thumbsu:

Any other BF posters going? I'll be there between 11.30~12.00 to catch the end of the Barbs game before the big clash!

If the numbers are right then it would be fantastic. Apparently 20,000 + saw the first episode of GVTV on C31 so if just 5% went along to catch the game then I'd be happy.

I'd love to but unfortunately I'm working. I remember seeing a couple of VicBowl games at Olympic Park in the 90s and it's a great way to spend a day.

I'd love to but unfortunately I'm working. I remember seeing a couple of VicBowl games at Olympic Park in the 90s and it's a great way to spend a day.

I saw 3 VicBowls at Olympic park (91, 92 and 93)... loved them... reckon in 91 there was around 500~600 people there that day. Best day I was involved in was the 4th of July day triple header at Olympic park... we (Nunawading Warriors) played in the last game which was a 5pm start from memory and there was a great crowd there that day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back