Australian humour

Some humour is no good as a stand-alone example, or removed from its time. Fast Forward was excellent in its day, unmissable. Many of the skits repeated weekly and were enormously popular e.g. the airline stewards below (also unwatchable now).

I watched a couple full episodes of Full Frontal the other day- pleasingly still enjoyed it as much as I ever did, even when they're lampooning some random pollie from the 90s they're still gold

Magpiespower

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan
Dec 16, 2004
Salisbury
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Did anyone binge on Jonah from Tonga on ABC iView at all?

Not a huge Chris Lilley fan so I gave it miss...

beenreal

Club Legend
Nov 19, 2003
Port Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Caught Kingswood Country this week.

Bruno : I was born in this country,
Ted : Where were you born?
Bruno : Wagga.
Ted : That'd be right.

Even disregarding any racist angle, I don't see how I ever found that funny.

REALLY? I did. Mind you, it was the 80's

It probably loses a fair bit when written down.

mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
Alberton, the chosen land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Blyth Spartans, Dallas Cowboys
REALLY? I did. Mind you, it was the 80's

It probably loses a fair bit when written down.

I did find it funny when I watched it. What I mean is if someone said it to me now I would just think it was a pretty bad pun. Maybe I'm getting old.

And you're right about it losing a fair bit when written down. Ross Higgins' gruff voice added something to that show. It would be a bit like a Billy Connolly, Jimeoin or a Ross Noble show without the accent.

I sat down with my teenage son and watched an old Paul Hogan Show episode with him a few moths back, my son loved it
That was good stuff. Daggy even in its day, and somehow still very likeable. I'd have not been alone to have seriously fancied Delvene Delaney. Funny watching this as it parodies ads, films from the 80s.

Sep 6, 2009
FNQ
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Bears
That was good stuff. Daggy even in its day, and somehow still very likeable. I'd have not been alone to have seriously fancied Delvene Delaney. Funny watching this as it parodies ads, films from the 80s.

Hoges was a very talented comedian, one whom the general public identified with and respected. Once he got big and left his missus for some blonde Hollywood bimbo...he lost most of that respect

Jim Dixon

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2013
Canada
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Was going to say these guys did it best but it seems lame now. Still at least it's topical, Mothers Day.

Ah, the Dodgy Brothers. Before Harvey Normans there was the Dodgy Brothers. Purveyers of ripoffs to the Australian public since 1788.

Australia liked them so much they voted one in as Prime Minister last year.

Ah, the Dodgy Brothers. Before Harvey Normans there was the Dodgy Brothers. Purveyers of ripoffs to the Australian public since 1788 ....
Very slightly later the Comedy Company had their running series of skits on Bastards Inc. which also involved ripping the public off. I can find only one example and again it hasn't stood the test of time so I haven't put it up.

The only thing funny that has happened on Australian TV was this one time when Eddie McGuire called Kane Cornes a campaigner.

Everything else has been s**t.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Does that disgraceful programme 'Jonah from Tonga' qualify as comedy?

Full of words like 'homo' and f**k.

The behaviour of Jonah Takalua is deplorable. Cramming a year eight boy in a locker then locking him in is not the sort of behaviour that should be modelled to students. Similarly teachers using the f*** word and putting headlocks on students is not the sort of teaching practice that beginning teachers should be exposed to. When I first saw this disgraceful programme I thought it was some sort of documentary programme on the problems confronting Samoan students in Sydney. It was almost a relief to discover that it was in fact a series devised by that deviant and transvestite Mr Chris Lilley. Mr Lilley gained some prominence, I would say notoriety, through his depiction of a schoolgirl, a neurotic art teacher and this Jonah boy in the Summer Heights High series.

I will be reporting this programme to the relevant authority immediately the last episode is screened.

I believe this programme is to be banned by the Catholic Education Office and could be included on the Index Librorum Prohibitorum alongside Descarte, Kant and John Stuart Mill.

The humour of Chris Lilley is deplorable. An Andy Warhol 15 minutes of fame prototype that has gone on far too long.

Back