Australian National Football Council

Remove this Banner Ad

"100 years of the league which started in Victoria eventually overtaking all the other leagues then moved into other parts of the country" didn't fit on the spine label of the VHS.
I'd be far more worried about the content than the title - which is, in itself, trivial.

I do see the need for the distinction to be made between this league's history and the game's history - ie the AFL should not be writing the game's history, rather their own.

That stuff should be a commission duty rather than AFL.
'100 years of the VFL/AFL' would have worked.

It's just one example of many where the AFL has made the history of the league into that of the sport.

As for the bolded, couldn't agree more.

'100 years of the VFL/AFL' would have worked.

It's just one example of many where the AFL has made the history of the league into that of the sport.

As for the bolded, couldn't agree more.

The title of the book was:

The Complete Story of the AFL
100 Years of Australian Football
1897-1996

Every AFL season reported.

Consider something like:

The Complete Story of the Green Bay Packers
100 years of American Football
1919-2018.

Every Packers' season reported.

An argument on the title of the AFL book doesn't really hold up but the inference is I believe completely correct. The strongest league in Victoria took over the game nationally partly by killing off the national controlling body of the game. Is anyone aware of anyone having written or is writing a history of the Australian (National) Football Council? (The AFL probably wouldn't be.)

In the meantime here is a link to an article from 1935 by a Victorian pleading that something be done about expanding the game nationally and criticising the Football Council for its inactivity. Some of the roots of what was to come can been seen.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/11760572

The site has been taken over by Slattery Media - the former publisher of the AFL Record. Not operating in its new form yet. Could be a platform for publishing some original research. We shall see.
Slattery Media will be running australianfootball.com?

The site has been taken over by Slattery Media - the former publisher of the AFL Record. Not operating in its new form yet. Could be a platform for publishing some original research. We shall see.

Thats an out and out shame. It was nice to get an independent - and often anti-AFL - viewpoint on the games development in all states. Slattery is well and truly in bed with the AFL.

Thats an out and out shame. It was nice to get an independent - and often anti-AFL - viewpoint on the games development in all states. Slattery is well and truly in bed with the AFL.

Except that AFL Media has taken the AFL Record over from Slattery Media.
Much of the same personnel at the Record but with the noticeable omission of Geoff Slattery on the masthead as "managing editor".

Round 1 2012 Edition of the AFL Record:

Page 4, *The Editor's Letter* in the second and third pars, says:

This year, the AFL Record turns 100, with a special commemorative edition planned for round five.

The Record is now published by AFL Media, a new AFL department established this year to produce multi-platform content covering all aspects of the game and the broader football industry.

Exact details of the new relationship between Slattery Media and the AFL haven't been publicized.

The ANFC concept is a great idea that should "somehow" be pushed. The AFL dominance of the game is unhealthy and leads to the frustration we all feel around rule changes and the general "development" of the game.

I feel that an ANFC would also enable a broader discussion on how best to operate all leagues to get the best development nationally and internationally.

I have expanded on this in another post on the AFL Commission board regarding a governing body and tiered leagues.

Do WAFL clubs have the money?

I'd suggest not.

Which is why this initiative would be primarily AFL driven using the WAFL clubs as the relevant tier to drive growth in the game in a place like South Africa for perhaps 20-30 years in preparation for the inclusion of a fully fledged South African team in the AFL down the track.

I have expanded on this in another post on the AFL Commission board regarding a governing body and tiered leagues.

And they were stupid ideas there, too.

The *only* way I'd think about vaguely supporting this is if the likes of the Owen and Murray league had as many votes as the metropolitan Adelaide competition.

But as this would get in the way of the SANFL bludging off country leagues for players and the AFL for money, you're against it.

And they were stupid ideas there, too.

The *only* way I'd think about vaguely supporting this is if the likes of the Owen and Murray league had as many votes as the metropolitan Adelaide competition.

But as this would get in the way of the SANFL bludging off country leagues for players and the AFL for money, you're against it.

I see value in your idea actually as the Owen and Murray leagues would be part of a tiered league structure under a football commission of sorts. I see no issue with equal voting as it puts as much focus on the leagues that develop the talent (the metro and country leagues) as the leagues that showcase the high end of that talent (AFL).

But the comment that the SANFL bludges off the country leagues must mean you hate the AFL that simply does that from the SANFL, WAFL, TAC etc. in terms of bludging money, this is the aspect that annoys me the most. The other leagues all put years of money and time into developing players, starting with a kid in the hills league, followed by time in the junior and reserves of the SANFL for example. but if they get drafted by an AFL club the leagues that developed this player and put the time and money into him get sweat FA in return from the AFL. There should be money paid for these players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am the founder of australianfootball.com and I'd like to say firstly thanks for all the positive comments on the new website, and secondly to clarify a misconception.

Slattery Media (SMG) is NOT the owner or operator of the website. I am. They are not involved in any financial way. I am the sole investor and decision maker, the latter in cooperation with the editor Andrew Gigacz ('Gigs' was formerly associated with the Footy Almanac).

The role of SMG is as follows: They developed the site for me and have provided editorial services. Geoff Slattery has also been very supportive of the site and has given his permission for me to reproduce portions of the SMG backcatalogue). But myself and Gigs make all the editorial decisions and follow our own direction.

For an introduction to the concept behind the site, please read my piece, 'The Case for australianfootball.com', which is the editorial leader of the new site.

Adam Cardosi / australianfootball.com

I am the founder of australianfootball.com and I'd like to say firstly thanks for all the positive comments on the new website, and secondly to clarify a misconception.

Slattery Media (SMG) is NOT the owner or operator of the website. I am. They are not involved in any financial way. I am the sole investor and decision maker, the latter in cooperation with the editor Andrew Gigacz ('Gigs' was formerly associated with the Footy Almanac).

The role of SMG is as follows: They developed the site for me and have provided editorial services. Geoff Slattery has also been very supportive of the site and has given his permission for me to reproduce portions of the SMG backcatalogue). But myself and Gigs make all the editorial decisions and follow our own direction.

For an introduction to the concept behind the site, please read my piece, 'The Case for australianfootball.com', which is the editorial leader of the new site.

Adam Cardosi / australianfootball.com

I know that you have all the ladders up for the state leagues but will a premiership placings table (like on fullpointsfooty) be up as well?

I know that you have all the ladders up for the state leagues but will a premiership placings table (like on fullpointsfooty) be up as well?

All the fullpointsfooty content will be included by the next phase of the website - hopefully just a few months away. That includes all the premiership placings of the leagues. Cheers, Adam

Did the ANFC ever have a logo, and if so can anyone point me to one?
Possibly. It was a fairly marginal organisation corporate structure-wise - I think Bruce Andrew was its first paid employee when he was appointed in the late 1940's to promote the game in the 'rugby states'. Andrew rose to head the organisation and it was at its most active under his stewardship. I would suspect if it had a logo it would be more likely from sometime after his appointment.

Where you might find a logo would be on an AFC/ANFC Football Carnival program. A search of online auction sites of football memorabilia might turn up a scan of one.

There may also be possibly newspaper advertisements for AFC/ANFC football carnivals that carry some sort of logo.
They were held in 1908, 1911, 1914, 1921, 1924, 1927, 1930, 1933, 1937, 1947, 1950, 1953, 1956, 1958, 1961, 1966, 1969, 1972.

I also remember seeing a program at an online auction site for an ANFC promoted exhibition match played in Wagga Wagga in the 1950s between two VFA teams which may have had some logo on it. (No VFL teams could be convinced to play the exhibition match at the time.)

Oakleigh to play Port at Wagga
Victorian Football Association premiers and runner up of 1952 - Oakleigh and Port Melbourne-will play a match in Wagga on May 16.
The match, arranged by Mr. Bruce Andrew, secretary of the Australian National Council, for propaganda purposes, will carry full premiership points. Argus 3 March 1953

It you really must find the logo/logos http://www.pyi.com.au/ (trademark registration Australia) may have a record of any AFC/ANFC logos.

AFC/ANFC Logo:

1908_carnival.jpg
The 1908 Jubilee Football Carnival program - there are attempts at logos for the competing football bodies - clockwise from the 'Big V' for Victoria - W.A., NSW, Tasmania, New Zealand, S.A. and QLD.​
No logo for the Football Council unless the football in the centre is it.​
(Note it is the Jubilee of Australian Football - no sign of the rugby media's disparaging "rules" tag.)​
1927_carnival.jpg
The more restrained 1927 program cover has no evidence for a logo. It is the 'Australasian' Football Carnival in the hope that Australian Football might still hang on in New Zealand.)​
(The Australasian was soon dropped and the organisation became the Australian National Football Council.​
carters.com.au is a good source for such images.​

The ANFC concept is a great idea that should "somehow" be pushed. The AFL dominance of the game is unhealthy and leads to the frustration we all feel around rule changes and the general "development" of the game.

I feel that an ANFC would also enable a broader discussion on how best to operate all leagues to get the best development nationally and internationally.

I have always believed the re-invention of the ANFC would be a positive move but don't expect it would immediately reform football by controlling the laws of the game.

Remember, there have always been laws about marking and rucking infringements. The AFL chose to have their own interpretation of the laws until forced to bring in "new" laws.

I have thought that it would be neater to have the Laws of the Game and then an AFL appendix rather than the all encompassing laws we ahve at the moment. I thought, why do we have have a law about hitting the roof, except in AFL? Well, times change and with indoor footy there is such a law. What is the position with onfield player numbers? With leagues scratching for officials do we still have the "head count" option instead of the interchange steward.

Overseas, I see the need to have the simplified guidelines that generally used made official.
in fact there is the opportunity to produce a really simplified small numbered game for development.

I have always believed the re-invention of the ANFC would be a positive move but don't expect it would immediately reform football by controlling the laws of the game.

Remember, there have always been laws about marking and rucking infringements. The AFL chose to have their own interpretation of the laws until forced to bring in "new" laws.

I have thought that it would be neater to have the Laws of the Game and then an AFL appendix rather than the all encompassing laws we ahve at the moment. I thought, why do we have have a law about hitting the roof, except in AFL? Well, times change and with indoor footy there is such a law. What is the position with onfield player numbers? With leagues scratching for officials do we still have the "head count" option instead of the interchange steward.

Overseas, I see the need to have the simplified guidelines that generally used made official.
in fact there is the opportunity to produce a really simplified small numbered game for development.

The Australian/Australasian (National) Football Council only existed as an organ of the football bodies that constituted it. Membership varied. The South Australian Football Association/League dropped out for a time from the end of the 19th century to the early part of the 20th century and the Victorian Football Association (VFA) was after the advent of the Victorian Football League, sometimes a member, often not. Sixty years ago there were three codes of Australian Football being played in Melbourne - The Victorian Football League playing ANFC rules, the VFA playing with their own set of rules and the Amateurs playing with yet another variant of the rules.

Have a look at some Australian Football Council ideas about rule changes nearly a century ago here:

The competitions that belonged to the Australian Football Council (as it was called in its final incarnation) agreed to subsume its functions to the AFL which had the financial resources to carry out and to expand those functions. Reconstituting a separate body would only add another layer of bureaucracy which would have to be funded by the AFL anyway.

Note too: "These Laws apply to bodies affiliated to the AFL and to bodies affiliated to AFL Affiliates. Controlling bodies may make appropriate modifications consistent with the spirit of these laws for under-age competitions." http://aflcommunityclub.com.au/index.php?id=37

Remove this Banner Ad

Back