Australian ODI Squad - 2014/15

Remove this Banner Ad

Smith shouldn't be in the side as a lower order hitter. That's the whole reason why he hasn't been successful at ODI level.
Well, there's some handy competition further up, isn't there?

If he doesn't open, he's competing with Clarke, Bailey and perhaps Watson for spots 3-5.

Watson being able to bowl 10ish overs is the key to fitting Smith in. IF (big if) Smith, Watson and Maxwell can share 20 we could go:

Finch
Warner
Watson
Smith
Clarke
Bailey
Maxwell
Haddin
Bowler
Bowler
Bowler

Watson being able to bowl 10ish overs is the key to fitting Smith in. IF (big if) Smith, Watson and Maxwell can share 20 we could go:

Finch
Warner
Watson
Smith
Clarke
Bailey
Maxwell
Haddin
Bowler
Bowler
Bowler

No offence but I hope not. You need a strong bowling attack to win matches- not Smith, Watson and Maxwell bowling 20

No offence but I hope not. You need a strong bowling attack to win matches- not Smith, Watson and Maxwell bowling 20
My point is more that I think a fit Watson is as good an ODI bowler as anyone in the world. Maxwell bowled well enough last night to be counted on IMO.

Finch
Warner
Watson
Smith
Clarke
Bailey
Maxwell
Haddin
Bowler
Bowler
Bowler
Nonsense.

It's the same as it's been for most of the year: For Smith to appear in the WC, he'll need for Watson to return to opening, and there's only room for one of Maxwell or Faulkner in the team. Simple.

Is Mitch Marsh purely a Watson replacement? The way I see it, Smith is a Clarke replacement.

Is Mitch Marsh purely a Watson replacement? The way I see it, Smith is a Clarke replacement.

Watson is an automatic selection on batting alone. As is Clarke.
Their bowling and Captaincy in Clarke's case are an added bonus.

It's Marsh vs Maxwell for the number 6 who can probably bowl a few overs to make up the final 10.

Smith is not a lower order basher so really is competing for number 3, 4 and maybe 5.
Clarke bats at 4.

If Watson does not open he bats at 3. Watson batting at 3 makes Smith getting selected in the best XI. It would be him or Bailey and whilst Bailey's recent form is poor for a number 5 they may want someone who can score at a reasonably high strike rate straight from the start.
In theory Marsh could also bat 5 (Maxwell is way too unreliable) but I don't think anyone would be comfortable with Marsh at 5 and Maxwell at 6.

So Smith's best chance is Watson opening (his best position) which would make it a choice between two of Finch, Smith and Warner

Watson is an automatic selection on batting alone. As is Clarke.
Their bowling and Captaincy in Clarke's case are an added bonus.

It's Marsh vs Maxwell for the number 6 who can probably bowl a few overs to make up the final 10.

Smith is not a lower order basher so really is competing for number 3, 4 and maybe 5.
Clarke bats at 4.

If Watson does not open he bats at 3. Watson batting at 3 makes Smith getting selected in the best XI. It would be him or Bailey and whilst Bailey's recent form is poor for a number 5 they may want someone who can score at a reasonably high strike rate straight from the start.
In theory Marsh could also bat 5 (Maxwell is way too unreliable) but I don't think anyone would be comfortable with Marsh at 5 and Maxwell at 6.

So Smith's best chance is Watson opening (his best position) which would make it a choice between two of Finch, Smith and Warner

By Smith being a Clarke replacement, I meant long term. I don't see a place for him or Mitch Marsh in the team if both Watson and Clarke are fit. Marsh is there to be a hitter/handy medium pace - Watson can do both those roles better than him and Clarke is the skipper and has a fantastic record in ODIs. They'll want an extra spin bowler and while Maxwell is a flake, he's got some credit in the bank as regards batting and his bowling is pretty handy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why? If Watson can bowl 10, all good. Maxwell bowled 6 in the last game, no reason him, Finch and Smith can't share 10.
There is a difference between having players who 'can bowl' and having a proper bowling attack that will help you win games.

There is a difference between having players who 'can bowl' and having a proper bowling attack that will help you win games.
I realise that. Watson (fit) is a very, very good ODI bowler, as good as anyone in the world as a death bowler imo. Maxwell is showing that he's capable or taking more overs if necessary. Maxwell's economy is decent enough for a 5th bowler.

Having crazy strong batting line ups that make massive scores is an advantage too.

I realise that. Watson (fit) is a very, very good ODI bowler, as good as anyone in the world as a death bowler imo. Maxwell is showing that he's capable or taking more overs if necessary. Maxwell's economy is decent enough for a 5th bowler.

Having crazy strong batting line ups that make massive scores is an advantage too.
Have fun in La La Land.

Why? If Watson can bowl 10, all good. Maxwell bowled 6 in the last game, no reason him, Finch and Smith can't share 10.

There is now two people that rates Aaron Finch's meat pies...Finch and you. He is beyond terrible. I would rather Warner bowl his pies than Finch.

Surely, Finch is the one that misses out and Watson goes to open and Smith 3.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back