Australian ODI Squad - 2014/15

Remove this Banner Ad

Will the selectors give Khawaja a shot?

Barring injury, he'd have to leapfrog 3 of Finch, Warner, Watson, Smith and Hughes for a spot in the top order and I assume Watson is already nailed on.

On form, you could say he's worth a look. And his overall List A record is very good.

We play the Saffas in five ODIs next month. Would you pick him?

No.
Why does he have to leap frog the others?

Results at North Sydney shouldn't be considered.

You have to do better than that.

Why not?

Khawaja has two tons and an 85 from his last three knocks and was also very good last season.

My point is that, if a guy with those numbers shouldn't be considered, it means it's pretty much a closed shop until after the World Cup.

Why does he have to leap frog the others?
Well, those are the guys who have been batting 1-3 in the recent past. If Khawaja were to be picked, it would be in their place.

You have to do better than that.

Why not?

Khawaja has two tons and an 85 from his last three knocks and was also very good last season.

My point is that, if a guy with those numbers shouldn't be considered, it means it's pretty much a closed shop until after the World Cup.

Well, those are the guys who have been batting 1-3 in the recent past. If Khawaja were to be picked, it would be in their place.

Which you said about a month ago. You were right then.

Khawaja isn't going to play because he isn't any good. More than half of his List A centuries are at North Sydney with it's 60 m boundaries and flat wickets

Just to clarify. You think that Watson is as good a ODI bowler as Steyn or Johnson?
I think he's very very good when he's fit. He plays a different role to Steyn and Johnson. As an all rounder, and as a death bowler or as a middle order containing bowler, I think he is as good as anyone. His changes of pace/cutters/swing are very valuable as the ball gets older.

I think he's very very good when he's fit.
Hang on, if he's playing and bowling, he has to be considered fit. You can't just pick and choose.

He plays a different role to Steyn and Johnson. As an all rounder, and as a death bowler or as a middle order containing bowler, I think he is as good as anyone.
That's not what you said. His status as an all-rounder is irrelevant.

You said he is as good a ODI bowler as anyone in the world. That's patently nonsense.

Maybe he bowls in the middle overs because, frankly, he isn't as good as the blokes who open the attack.

Will the selectors give Khawaja a shot?

Barring injury, he'd have to leapfrog 3 of Finch, Warner, Watson, Smith and Hughes for a spot in the top order and I assume Watson is already nailed on.

On form, you could say he's worth a look. And his overall List A record is very good.

We play the Saffas in five ODIs next month. Would you pick him?
Off the top of my head the next guy picked would be Henriques. I'm a big fan of his batting. Dunk has presented a case and I'm a fan of what Ferguson and White can bring to the team.

Off the top of my head the next guy picked would be Henriques. I'm a big fan of his batting. Dunk has presented a case and I'm a fan of what Ferguson and White can bring to the team.
I'm a bit confused. Previously, you said that if a player was in 'cracking form' and 'scored three centuries', the selectors would give them an opportunity. Khawaja more or less ticks that box at the moment. Should he be picked?

As for these other guys, do you think they will be picked before the World Cup? Certainly, none of them match Khawaja for form.

You want to pick Henriques as a batting all-rounder? Do you realise he averages 26 in ODDs?

What exactly is Dunk's case? One innings?

Given that, three weeks ago, you were talking up three completely different players, is it fair to say we should take your opinions with a grain of salt? Who will you be spruiking next month?

Last edited:
Hang on, if he's playing and bowling, he has to be considered fit. You can't just pick and choose.

That's not what you said. His status as an all-rounder is irrelevant.

No, he can be fit to bat but not bowl, and he has been played like that before. When he is fit, he is a great bowler.

You said he is as good a ODI bowler as anyone in the world. That's patently nonsense.

I'm guessing you realise that there are different types of bowlers? Opening/strike bowlers, spinners, guys who bowl in the middle/late overs. All play a role. Watson plays the last one. And yes, I think he is as good as anyone at that role, and all the roles are vital to a team.

I'm a bit confused. Previously, you said that if a player was in 'cracking form' and 'scored three centuries', the selectors would give them an opportunity. Khawaja more or less ticks that box at the moment. Should he be picked?

As for these other guys, do you think they will be picked before the World Cup? Certainly, none of them match Khawaja for form.

You want to pick Henriques as a batting all-rounder? Do you realise he averages 26 in ODDs?

Given that, three weeks ago, you were talking up three completely different players, is it fair to say we should take your opinions with a grain of salt? Who will you be spruiking next month?

Coming from how close minded some of your opinions seem to be... I'd take yours as a grain of salt.

No, he can be fit to bat but not bowl, and he has been played like that before.
When he's bowled, he's been fit to bowl. By definition.

I'm guessing you realise that there are different types of bowlers? Opening/strike bowlers, spinners, guys who bowl in the middle/late overs.
Sure. But you made no such distinction when you simply said that Watson is as good a bowler as anyone in the world. That is a wild exaggeration.

I think he is as good as anyone at that role.
Just to clarify. Is Watson as good a bowler as anyone in the world? Is he as good as Johnson and Steyn?

Or are you backing away from that?

When he's bowled, he's been fit to bowl. By definition.

Sure. But you made no such distinction when you simply said that Watson was as good a bowler as anyone in the world.

Just to clarify. Is Watson as good a bowler as anyone in the world? Is he as good as Johnson and Steyn?

Or are you backing away from that?
You're ridiculous. But yes, I would say that Watson is as good a ODI bowler as anyone in the world when he's fit to bowl.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasn't talking them up. I was saying they could come into consideration with some good form. As can anyone, such as Khawaja.

Henriques might average 26 but he is batting beautifully this year.

Your constant attempts at belittling are pretty tiresome tbh. Given the fact that Bailey has been in pretty poor form, I'd think that plenty of guys who have done well in the ODD comp could be considered this summer if that form continues.

You're ridiculous. But yes, I would say that Watson is as good a ODI bowler as anyone in the world when he's fit to bowl.
He's fit to bowl whenever he's bowling.

So whenever Watson is bowling in a ODI, he is, in your view, as a good a bowler as Johnson or Steyn.

Hilarious.

I wasn't talking them up. I was saying they could come into consideration with some good form.

Henriques might average 26 but he is batting beautifully this year.
You singled them out as guys who could challenge for spots in the Australian team. I'd say that constitutes 'talking them up'.

That aside, despite his mediocre record overall, Henriques is the 'next guy you'd pick'?

Given the fact that Bailey has been in pretty poor form, I'd think that plenty of guys who have done well in the ODD comp could be considered this summer if that form continues.
Bailey has an ODI average of 46 so I'd suggest it will take more than his three recent failures for him to be dropped.

You said the selectors would give someone an opportunity if they were in cracking form. So, once again, would you pick Khawaja?

Last edited:
He's fit to bowl whenever he's bowling.

So whenever Watson is bowling in a ODI, he is, in your view, as a good a bowler as Johnson or Steyn.

Hilarious.

You singled them out as guys who could challenge for spots in the Australian team. I'd say that constitutes 'talking them up'.

That aside, despite his mediocre record overall, Henriques is the 'next guy you'd pick'?

Bailey has an ODI average of 46 so I'd suggest it will take more than his three recent failures for him to be dropped.

You said the selectors would give someone an opportunity if they were in cracking form. So, once again, would you pick Khawaja?

tiresome and boring....

Would you pick Khawaja?

Previously you said a player in 'cracking form' would be given a shot. Does that still apply?
Sure does. If Bailey's form doesn't improve, or if Finch's doesn't improve, I'd be giving someone else a game this summer in the lead up to the world cup.

Would you?

Sure does. If Bailey's form doesn't improve, or if Finch's doesn't improve, I'd be giving someone else a game this summer in the lead up to the world cup.
Be specific. Would you pick Khawaja?

He is the player in 'cracking form'.

Would you?
I think the XI for the World Cup will include a combination of the guys already in the mix.

In other words, Watson, Finch, Warner, S. Marsh, Hughes, Smith, Clarke, Bailey and Maxwell.

I wouldn't pick Khawaja, but my reasons aren't to do with his Matador Cup form. He is still a limited batsman who can be contained by international attacks.

I wouldn't include Hughes in my "mix" (although I think his ability to be a back up keeper will get him a slot) and Bailey and Finch have been in pretty s**t form. As always the injury problems are there for both Clarke and Watson.

I wouldn't pick Khawaja, but my reasons aren't to do with his Matador Cup form. He is still a limited batsman who can be contained by international attacks.
Previously, you said that if a player was in cracking form, the selectors would give him an opportunity.

Khawaja ticks that box. But you don't want him, thereby contradicting your earlier statement.

I wouldn't include Hughes in my "mix" (although I think his ability to be a back up keeper will get him a slot)
Regardless of what 'your mix' looks likes, he played in Zimbabwe and the UAE. That's the reality.

He's a hell of a lot more 'in the mix' than some of the rank outsiders you've been throwing up.

and Bailey and Finch have been in pretty s**t form. As always the injury problems are there for both Clarke and Watson.
So we can draw a line through those five players?

Hughes not in the mix. Bailey and Finch dropped. Clarke and Watson injured. It sounds like there will be half a dozen guys without central contracts going to the World Cup.

Or are you just flying kites?

You are a complete w***er and impossible to discuss cricket with due to your inability to converse in a decent way and your constant use of strawmen in an attempt to big yourself up. You completely dismiss the content of other people's posts and just continue to harp on the same issue in spite of the fact that people offer reasons for their opinions (as in Khawaja is limited imo in spite of his ODD form).

Seeya.

You are a complete ****** and impossible to discuss cricket with due to your inability to converse in a decent way and your constant use of strawmen in an attempt to big yourself up.
How is it a strawman?

You said that if a player was in cracking form, the selectors would give them an opportunity. That is not a strawman.

Khawaja is in cracking form but you don't want him, thereby undermining your previous argument.

All I've done is reminded you of what you said previously and asked you if it still applies now that the situation you mentioned has come to pass. The fact that you get so agitated indicates that you know the position you took has been shown to be untenable.

You completely dismiss the content of other people's posts and just continue to harp on the same issue in spite of the fact that people offer reasons for their opinions (as in Khawaja is limited imo in spite of his ODD form).
Well, he's been scoring more runs than the other guys, so this strikes me as a bullshit attempt to distance yourself from your earlier comments.

How is it a strawman?

You said that if a player was in cracking form, the selectors would give them an opportunity. That is not a strawman.

Khawaja is in cracking form but you don't want him, thereby undermining your previous argument.

Well, he's been scoring more runs than the other guys, so this strikes me as a bullshit attempt to distance yourself from your earlier comments.
IDGAF what it "strikes you as". I gave a reason for my opinion on Khawaja. Which you dismiss but keep on ranting on with the same strawman s**t.

I would not consider Khawaja for the Australian ODI side because of his limitations against an elite attack to rotate the strike in the middle overs (a failing he shares with Hughes).

I'd be more inclined to include Henriques, White, Ferguson or Burns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back