Australian ODI Squad - 2014/15

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you have answered my previous point that there are opportunities for those on the fringe which has also been attested to by the selection of marsh and okeefe in the test side.
This makes no sense.

How have I "answered your previous point"? What does that even mean?

You ignored my question about whether Smith deserved to be recalled. Should we assume that's because you were simply unable to answer it? Also, we are clearly talking about the ODI side so I'm not sure why you'd try to pivot away to talk about the Test side. That's weird.

Why won't you answer a very straightforward question about which batsman is best-placed to force his way into the ODI side?

You've said Khawaja wouldn't be your first choice. I'll ask you again – who is top of your list, if not the outstanding ODD batsman of the past season-and-a-half? You've said repeatedly that spots are there for players in form, so which batsmen are you talking about, if not Khawaja?

Are these unfair questions?

Last edited:
I'm not going into the batting debate because I think our pool of batting options is set.
I agree.

I just think it's odd that those who believe there are still spots up for grabs don't deem Khawaja a viable option.

What squad would you pick for the ODIs against South Africa?

I agree.

I just think it's odd that those who believe there are still spots up for grabs don't deem Khawaja a viable option.

What squad would you pick for the ODIs against South Africa?

Assuming a squad of 15

1. Finch
2. Warner
3. Watson
4. Smith
5. Bailey
6. Maxwell
7. Haddin+
8. Starc
9. Richardson
10. Hazlewood
11. Lyon

12. M.Marsh
13. Hughes
14. Coulter-Nile
15. Faulkner

That is not my best XI by any means but at this point I think we need to give all the people in line for world cup selection a few matches to see how they go.

You'll notice that Clarke and Johnson are missing. They'll obviously play but I think they shouldn't play the whole series. We know what they offer and we know they are automatic selections.

Richardson was selected because he is rated as a death bowler. Against Pakistan his death bowling wasn't tested so he should be given a run against the South Africans.
Hazlewood and Coulter-Nile are in good form and have always been around national squads when fit (Hazlewood was 12th man for a couple of tests and near selection). I'd like to see them get a run because save for Johnson and to a lesser extent Starc we don't really know what our first choice pace attack is.

Warner and Smith have subpar career ODI records but they've been in great form at international level and were our two best batsmen against Pakistan in the ODIs. I think it's worth seeing if they can bring that form to ODI level against South Africa.

I don't feel there is a spot for two of Marsh and Maxwell in the same team. Maxwell is ahead but I'm still not fully convinced about him.

Assuming a squad of 15

1. Finch
2. Warner
3. Watson
4. Smith
5. Bailey
6. Maxwell
7. Haddin+
8. Starc
9. Richardson
10. Hazlewood
11. Lyon

12. M.Marsh
13. Hughes
14. Coulter-Nile
15. Faulkner

That is not my best XI by any means but at this point I think we need to give all the people in line for world cup selection a few matches to see how they go.

You'll notice that Clarke and Johnson are missing. They'll obviously play but I think they shouldn't play the whole series. We know what they offer and we know they are automatic selections.

Richardson was selected because he is rated as a death bowler. Against Pakistan his death bowling wasn't tested so he should be given a run against the South Africans.
Hazlewood and Coulter-Nile are in good form and have always been around national squads when fit (Hazlewood was 12th man for a couple of tests and near selection). I'd like to see them get a run because save for Johnson and to a lesser extent Starc we don't really know what our first choice pace attack is.

Warner and Smith have subpar career ODI records but they've been in great form at international level and were our two best batsmen against Pakistan in the ODIs. I think it's worth seeing if they can bring that form to ODI level against South Africa.

I don't feel there is a spot for two of Marsh and Maxwell in the same team. Maxwell is ahead but I'm still not fully convinced about him.
That's reasonable.

There are four questions to be answered before the World Cup:

1. How does the top three look? Watson is nailed on. Who takes the other two spots?
2. Watson aside, who is the preferred all-rounder and how does that alter the composition of the side?
3. Is Harris in the mix? If not, who are the two best quicks to support Johnson? Probably Starc and one other to be determined.
4. Lyon or Doherty? Or neither?

This makes no sense.

How have I "answered your previous point"? What does that even mean?

You ignored my question about whether Smith deserved to be recalled. Should we assume that's because you were simply unable to answer it? Also, we are clearly talking about the ODI side so I'm not sure why you'd try to pivot away to talk about the Test side. That's weird.

Why won't you answer a very straightforward question about which batsman is best-placed to force his way into the ODI side?

You've said Khawaja wouldn't be your first choice. I'll ask you again – who is top of your list, if not the outstanding ODD batsman of the past season-and-a-half? You've said repeatedly that spots are there for players in form, so which batsmen are you talking about, if not Khawaja?

Are these unfair questions?

don't beat yourself up about it. it seems the stress is making you second guess and question everything.

we have both accepted that you were wrong, so let's just move on and enjoy the cricket and bf.

don't beat yourself up about it. it seems the stress is making you second guess and question everything.
Very few questions are required to demonstrate that you don't know whether you're coming or going.

we have both accepted that you were wrong
For that to be possible, you would need to be able to think in a straight line.

Tell us more about the opportunities for new players to emerge this summer. Who is top of your list?

Very few questions are required to demonstrate that you don't know whether you're coming or going.

For that to be possible, you would need to be able to think in a straight line.

Tell us more about the opportunities for new players to emerge this summer. Who is top of your list?

O'Keefe and Marsh are great examples of the opportunity I was referring. Let's see if others can follow suit in test or other formats.

It must have hurt to be so wrong so quick. But hey, I forgive you champ!

O'Keefe and Marsh are great examples of the opportunity I was referring.
In the Test side. We've been talking about the ODI side. I assume you understand the difference?

Which batsmen are well-placed to push into the ODI side? Who is at the top of your list?

It must have hurt to be so wrong so quick. But hey, I forgive you champ!
How can I be wrong when you can't even articulate your own argument?

If you think there are batsmen well-placed to push into the ODI side, then say so. Tell us which players you're talking about.

In the Test side. We've been talking about the ODI side. I assume you understand the difference?
success+sarcastic.gif

You are a complete ****** and impossible to discuss cricket with due to your inability to converse in a decent way and your constant use of strawmen in an attempt to big yourself up. You completely dismiss the content of other people's posts and just continue to harp on the same issue in spite of the fact that people offer reasons for their opinions (as in Khawaja is limited imo in spite of his ODD form).

Seeya.

I completely agree. I've tried a few times to get into a thread or enjoy this board, but this guy kills it. He's like that loud, obnoxious guy at a bar who feels if he repeats the same tiresome points over and over again he somehow wins a prize.

Pity the BF board for something as important as our second national sport can be destroyed by someone. I have no idea who's moderating here, but it's a shame they've allowed to happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I completely agree. I've tried a few times to get into a thread or enjoy this board, but this guy kills it. He's like that loud, obnoxious guy at a bar who feels if he repeats the same tiresome points over and over again he somehow wins a prize.

Pity the BF board for something as important as our second national sport can be destroyed by someone. I have no idea who's moderating here, but it's a shame they've allowed to happen.
That's a bit shrill. Do you think I've asked an unreasonable question?

I happen to think the ODI side will remain settled until after the World Cup. I'm asking those who think there's still some wiggle room: Which batsman is a chance, if not Khawaja?

Surely, if anyone is well-placed to force their way into the side, it would be the guy who has been scoring heavily over the past season-and-a-half.

If I've repeated myself, it's because certain people avoid a straight answer to an honest question. For example, that guy you are so eager to agree with.

made a post about it in the cricket rules thread a couple of days ago and there's no sign it's even been looked at.
Maybe if you wait outside the staff room until the end of lunchtime, a teacher will come out and help you get your ball back.

Last edited:
That's a bit shrill. Do you think I've asked an unreasonable question?

I happen to think the ODI side will remain settled until after the World Cup. I'm asking those who think there's still some wiggle room: Which batsman is a chance, if not Khawaja?

Surely, if anyone is well-placed to force their way into the side, it would be the guy who has been scoring heavily over the past season-and-a-half.

If I've repeated myself, it's because certain people avoid a straight answer to an honest question. For example, that guy you are so eager to agree with.

Maybe if you wait outside the staff room until the end of lunchtime, a teacher will come out and help you get your ball back.

it must be an emotional IQ thing but go back through the posts and have a think about it

That's inadequate. And makes no sense.

Why won't you give a straight answer?

because you have already answered me and yourself

I presented a view that our cricket sides (all formats) are not strong which presents opportunity to those on the fringe. this view was supported days later with the selection of okeefe and marsh in the test side.

you then present a view that Khawaja would be a likely selection candidate for the ODI side supporting the concept that opportunities may present themselves. yet you still want to argue the toss!

just relax and enjoy the cricket and bf.

because you have already answered me and yourself

I presented a view that our cricket sides (all formats) are not strong which presents opportunity to those on the fringe. this view was supported days later with the selection of okeefe and marsh in the test side.

you then present a view that Khawaja would be a likely selection candidate for the ODI side supporting the concept that opportunities may present themselves. yet you still want to argue the toss!

just relax and enjoy the cricket and bf.
Look at this waffle.

Just be straightforward: which batsmen do you think are well-placed to push into the ODI side?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back