Australian ODI Squad - 2014/15

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe he should learn how to build an innings, instead of pushing hard at ball one and either edging or hitting it into the deep.

I guess that's just too much to expect from a 26 year old with an insane amount of international experience behind him...

Ideally you wan't your number 5/6 to be Mike Hussey like in that they can play a recovery innings and be able to hit quick runs if required. Maxwell cannot do the former.

Surely nobody would take Maxwell before Steve Smith.

Blaming others for making 2? No. Singling him out when literally all bar 1 player has failed.

Typical Maxwell hater logic.

But it's pretty telling when one of the main problems Maxwell faces is the perception that he's a one situation player.

He's great when the top order have built a foundation but otherwise we need to shelter him with the wicket keeper.

Middle order players need to be able to mount a recovery if needed. Maxwell can't. He plays exactly the same way regardless of the situation.

Given how prone our top order is to collapsing we may not be able to justify selecting Maxwell in the top 6 over Cameron White or Adam Voges or someone similar.

Though as Torz suggested it might not be impossible for Maxwell to make himself our first choice spinner in limited overs cricket

Maybe he should learn how to build an innings, instead of pushing hard at ball one and either edging or hitting it into the deep.

I guess that's just too much to expect from a 26 year old with an insane amount of international experience behind him...
I guess he makes mistakes, just like Warner, Finch, Watson and Bailey.

I don't see any vitriol towards their mistakes, because they're not the current player that's hated in Australian Cricket.
But it's pretty telling when one of the main problems Maxwell faces is the perception that he's a one situation player.

He's great when the top order have built a foundation but otherwise we need to shelter him with the wicket keeper.

Middle order players need to be able to mount a recovery if needed. Maxwell can't. He plays exactly the same way regardless of the situation.

Given how prone our top order is to collapsing we may not be able to justify selecting Maxwell in the top 6 over Cameron White or Adam Voges or someone similar.

Though as Torz suggested it might not be impossible for Maxwell to make himself our first choice spinner in limited overs cricket
That's a reasonable argument. I'd agree with it, but to blame him for this is pure cowardice.

I don't see any vitriol towards their mistakes, because they're not the current player that's hated in Australian Cricket.

That's a reasonable argument. I'd agree with it, but to blame him for this is pure cowardice.

I'm not blaming him but it's quite clear that he's not equipped to play the role he needs to be able to play to justify selection in the team.

He either can't read a match situation or he can't play to the match situation.

I'm a Finch and Watson hater, and not necessarily a fan of Warner in this format. Bailey is the one I'd disagree with there. Has constantly shown he can do exactly what Maxwell cannot. Build.

I'm not blaming him but it's quite clear that he's not equipped to play the role he needs to be able to play to justify selection in the team.

He either can't read a match situation or he can't play to the match situation.
I'm not accusing you, I'm accusing the others.
I'm a Finch and Watson hater, and not necessarily a fan of Warner in this format. Bailey is the one I'd disagree with there. Has constantly shown he can do exactly what Maxwell cannot. Build.
I'm talking purely this innings. They all made bad mistakes, but all the vitriol is going towards one man: G. Maxwell.

I'm not accusing you, I'm accusing the others.

I'm talking purely this innings. They all made bad mistakes, but all the vitriol is going towards one man: G. Maxwell.
Fat boy copped a fair bit for his pathetic shot if I recall. Difference there is he's coming off a hundred, whilst Maxwell has one score of 30+ in his last 10 ODI's.

Fat boy copped a fair bit for his pathetic shot if I recall. Difference there is he's coming off a hundred, whilst Maxwell has one score of 30+ in his last 10 ODI's.
Did he? I haven't been following the other thread. Maxwell is in our best side. Every time something goes wrong it's always Maxwell's fault. Never anybody elses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This would be my 15 man squad at the moment, obviously a lot of water to go under the bridge. Watson looks like half the player he used to be so he needs to find some form, especially with Smith in such great form and Clarke to come back.

Warner, Finch, Smtih, Clarke, Bailey, Marsh, Maxwell, Wade, Johnson, Starc, Hazlewood, Watson, White, Cummins, Faulkner

Remove this Banner Ad

Back