Australian ODI Squad - 2014/15

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a pity Mark Waugh wasn't commentating this match.
I'm on a train In the middle of nowhere going home after a day at the g. The footage of the dismissal went viral and everyone in the carriage has seen it minutes after it happened. Don't worry about Mark Waugh - he will have seen it.

Talent at this level is overrated. Mental skills are the key - with a splash of technique thrown in.

I'm on a train In the middle of nowhere going home after a day at the g. The footage of the dismissal went viral and everyone in the carriage has seen it minutes after it happened. Don't worry about Mark Waugh - he will have seen it.

Talent at this level is overrated. Mental skills are the key - with a splash of technique thrown in.

No. I wanted to see the immediate reaction of the national selector

B5746F1CIAAklIP.jpg

Would love to know what was (or wasn't) going through his mind when he left that ball.

Just truly bizarre.
Almost needs to see a shrink at the moment.

What was that amazing run when the great Greg Chappell had a really bad run of form ?
This is not Test cricket but at the moment he is mentally just not in sync with the game.

I'm sure he'll sort himself out soon, but gee hope it is very soon as he has some super talent we need to be switched on in World Cup time.

Would love to know what was (or wasn't) going through his mind when he left that ball.
I was going to ask why he would be leaving a ball in T20 anyway? But it was first over so fair enough.

Really, really odd one. Its almost like he knew where his off stump was in his starting position, and then didn't take into account that he had backed away to leg before getting cramped up for the shot he wanted to play. Just a complete headf**k.
That sort of thing is amazingly wrong it doesn't even really count against him. It is so much a one-off that it won't happen again and can be disregarded.

I was going to ask why he would be leaving a ball in T20 anyway? But it was first over so fair enough.

Really, really odd one. Its almost like he knew where his off stump was in his starting position, and then didn't take into account that he had backed away to leg before getting cramped up for the shot he wanted to play. Just a complete headf**k.
That sort of thing is amazingly wrong it doesn't even really count against him. It is so much a one-off that it won't happen again and can be disregarded.
No way that dismissal epitomises the pre meditated and totally ****ed up mindset he uses in his batting approach.

The selectors who put him into a test match at 3 should be sacked for incompetence.

No way that dismissal epitomises the pre meditated and totally stuffed up mindset he uses in his batting approach.

The selectors who put him into a test match at 3 should be sacked for incompetence.
I agree with that as well. It does fit with the pattern of extremely strange batting choices. The pre-meditative style played a part in it, and exposed a stunning inability to change when it didn't work. But that particular dismissal I just find so wrong that it is beyond even his version of normal.

That same pre-meditation has a place in T20, because its barely cricket. He certainly should not be near the Test team until/unless he gets the discipline to go with the talent (or, I guess, even less likely, develops into a front line spinner). But that is with or without bizarre happenings in the irrelevant versions of the game.

I guess I just disregard performance in T20 of any sort, good or bad. It can be mindless entertainment and brings extra money into the game, but that's as far as it goes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with that as well. It does fit with the pattern of extremely strange batting choices. The pre-meditative style played a part in it, and exposed a stunning inability to change when it didn't work. But that particular dismissal I just find so wrong that it is beyond even his version of normal.

That same pre-meditation has a place in T20, because its barely cricket. He certainly should not be near the Test team until/unless he gets the discipline to go with the talent (or, I guess, even less likely, develops into a front line spinner). But that is with or without bizarre happenings in the irrelevant versions of the game.

I guess I just disregard performance in T20 of any sort, good or bad. It can be mindless entertainment and brings extra money into the game, but that's as far as it goes.
Batting must be instinctive. Under pressure you will do whatever comes naturally to you. The moment you stuff around with that you are in trouble. No worries with players who are "in" or have a wealth of experience to draw on but that is not Maxwell. If he wants to make it as a serious cricketer - he needs to walk away from T20 for a time. He won't because at the end of the day that is all he is a side show to the real game.

Seems pretty obvious that he's backed away to go over the off-side, has decided that wasnt on after seeing length/line, pulled out of the shot but didn't account for the inswing, either because he read it as an outswinger or simply thought it was going straight on and hence missing the stumps.

It's funny but it's just a misjudgement that happens all the time in T20 cricket

Lyon has only played 8 ODIs, I don't reckon he'll feature. We'll pick Doherty or Maxwell.

Not sure Clarke will feature, likewise M Marsh.

Warner
Finch
Watson
Smith
Bailey
Wade
Faulkner
Johnson
Starc
Doherty
Harris

S Marsh
Cummins
Maxwell
M Marsh?

If Maxwell plays then Doherty drops out and Johnson drops to 9.

Finch
Warner
Watson
Bailey (c)
Smith
M.Marsh
Wade (wk)
Faulkner
Johnson
Hazelwood
Boyce

Cummins
Maxwell
Starc
Doherty

Unless Watson fails in the tri series (he shouldn't, he loves ODIs) that would be our best team. I can't see Clarke being fit. M.Marsh maybe. We bat down to 9, nice pace attack with Marsh and Watson being able to do 10 overs together.

Warner
Finch
Watson
Smith
Bailey
Wade
Faulkner
Johnson
Harris
Cummins
Lyon

Clarke
M. Marsh
Coulter-Nile
Starc

Although I think they might pick Hazlewood instead of Harris/Coulter-Nile.

Warner
Finch
Watson
Smith
Bailey
Maxwell
Wade
Faulkner
Johnson
Cummins
Hazlewood

White
Sandhu
Starc
Ashton Agar? There's another spinner spot - Boyce and Doherty are other clear options.

Warner
Watson
M Clarke
S Smith
Bailey
Maxwell
Haddin
Faulkner
M Johnson
Starc
Boyce

12 Finch
13 Coulter-Nile
14 Cummins
15 M Marsh

If Michael Clarke does not make it in time to get fit then Shaun Marsh or Lynn as the batter to replace him in the squad. I'd pick Bailey as captain if Clarke does not get back in time.

Tough choice picking the pace bowlers. So many options. Behrendorff, Harris and Pattinson are all very worthy candidates. I think Pattinson run out of time to get a spot because of coming back from injury. Cummins looks to be getting over his injuries and hopefully Coulter-Nile is back as I love his fielding, big hitting and handy bowling. I think he should be in squad.

Bird, Hilfey or Hazelwood probably after them.
I think Boyce will get the spinning spot over Doherty or Lyon. Just prefer we use an attacking leg spinner and Boyce is that option I like.
Wade I guess back up keeper if anything happened to Haddin.

Coulter-Nile's very injured & won't be ready by the world cup unfortunately.

Warner
Finch
Watson
Clarke (fitness pending)
Smith
Bailey (C)
Wade
Faulkner
Johnson (VC)
Hazelwood
Doherty

Maxwell (if he picks up form)
Behrendorf
Pattinson (fitness pending)

Subs if they're not fit: Lynn for Clarke & Cummins for Pattinson

If Michael Clarke does not make it in time to get fit then Shaun Marsh or Lynn as the batter to replace him in the squad.
Lynn's nowhere near it, surely.

Tough choice picking the pace bowlers. So many options. Behrendorff, Harris and Pattinson are all very worthy candidates. I think Pattinson run out of time to get a spot because of coming back from injury. Cummins looks to be getting over his injuries and hopefully Coulter-Nile is back as I love his fielding, big hitting and handy bowling. I think he should be in squad.

Bird, Hilfey or Hazelwood probably after them.
Surely Hazlewood is right in the mix. A fair shake to be best XI at this stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back