Australian ODI Squad - 2014/15

Remove this Banner Ad

Based on what Lehmann says, Hughes is no cert to play against Zim first up, even with Watto out. He mentioned Haddin opening...

Finch
Haddin
Clarke
S.Smith
Bailey
Maxwell
M.Marsh
Plus 4 bowlers

Based on what Lehmann says, Hughes is no cert to play against Zim first up, even with Watto out. He mentioned Haddin opening...

Finch
Haddin
Clarke
S.Smith
Bailey
Maxwell
M.Marsh
Plus 4 bowlers

Interesting comments about McKay.

Boof said:
"In the last 12 months he hasn't delivered with the new ball for us," Lehmann said, "and his speed isn't up to scratch for us and that's the message we've sent to him."

God it'd be so stupid if they opened with Haddin. Not as dumb as removing Watson from opening but up there. Haddin probably won't do badly, but he'll clearly be at 6/7 at the World Cup so
Best time to let Haddin open. Who cares if he fails in this tournament? Mitch Marsh at 3 for the warm-up is a big one. WA may have let him bat that high once or twice no more.

Best time to let Haddin open. Who cares if he fails in this tournament? Mitch Marsh at 3 for the warm-up is a big one. WA may have let him bat that high once or twice no more.

Or we could let both Hughes and Finch- who could be opening in the world cup- open the batting.

Or we could let both Hughes and Finch- who could be opening in the world cup- open the batting.

Haddin opened in the last World Cup and you can never trust them not to go with that again. As with most countries, no-one really knows where to play their wickie, apart from India and SA for obvious reasons.

So it's best that Haddin kicks the idea out of their heads early, which I have no doubt he'll do, he's not been in decent form apart from the Ashes for ages.

There are other ODI's coming up later in the summer for the real team to be playing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why wont Warner be opening with Finch?

I'd have Haddin at 8, if Faulkner is in the side.
Paternity leave I think it is. Was mentioned in the Phil Hughes article.

I had Smith in my original team, but with Watson out I reckon we need another bowling option as well as an opening bat, so I'd play both Hughes and Marsh.

Hughes
Finch
Clarke
Bailey
Maxwell
Marsh
Faulkner
Haddin
Johnson
Starc
Lyon

I had Smith in my original team, but with Watson out I reckon we need another bowling option as well as an opening bat, so I'd play both Hughes and Marsh.

Hughes
Finch
Clarke
Bailey
Maxwell
Marsh
Faulkner
Haddin
Johnson
Starc
Lyon

This seems right, but it reckon they're champin' to get Smitteh into the ODI side, esp seeing Haddin's about 50 years old and Watson and Clarke aren't exactly known for durability. Bit of a potential leadership vacuum in the ODI side, and they'd like Smith to be next captain. I'd imagine Clarke might retire from ODI post WC, and Smith'll be made ODI skip with a view to him being test captain.

Actually, forgot Bailey's in there and is a pretty good captain. But yeh, Smitteh's next in line for test captaincy so he might as well be ODI captain post Clarke.

Actually, forgot Bailey's in there and is a pretty good captain. But yeh, Smitteh's next in line for test captaincy so he might as well be ODI captain post Clarke.

Smith won't have a chance of becoming Captain straight after world cup.

Bailey as interim for a few years with Smith taking Clarke's ODI position in the team could work though.

Smith won't have a chance of becoming Captain straight after world cup.

Bailey as interim for a few years with Smith taking Clarke's ODI position in the team could work though.

I don't agree. If Clarke retires, Smith should be made ODI captain. Why bother having Bailey captain if Smith's gonna be test captain eventually anyway?

I think he'll establish himself quick enough. Batting is rapidly improving, bowling option and gun field.

He's established in the Aus test team, well respected. It'd work fine (provided his batting form in the WC is good).

Bailey captained the T20 side in his international debut.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back