Australian Open 2015 - Day 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, the wait is over. The first slam is here, probably my favourite day of the year. Lots of storylines to come over the next two weeks but let's go through the schedule.

Rod Laver Arena (11am AEDST)

player_311299.jpg
vs.
player_314320.jpg

Karin Knapp vs. 3- Simona Halep - First meeting - Knapp has a big but fairly inconsistent game, Halep should be able through comfortably, should be interesting to see how she goes.

player_311710.jpg
vs.
player_310849.jpg

5- Ana Ivanovic vs. Lucie Hradecka - Ana leads H2H 1-0 - Funnily enough, the one time they played at 2009 Wimby, Ana won 8-6 in the 3rd. Lucie has a huge game with double handed forehand but her career has been mixed with incosientcies. Ana is playing very well with that final in brisbane, she should be able to win this comfrtably but expect some odd moments from lucie.

4AF94043618B4E38A25435AC7E9BD0B6.ashx
vs.
93EC64877CB246E6A3A04DF3B87F7E29.ashx

Mikhail Youzhny vs. 3- Rafael Nadal - Rafa leads 11-4 - Well, it's a long history and inculdes a win from Youzhny at the US open in 2006, and all 4 of those wins on a hardcourt it's a brutal matchup for a first round for rafa. He comes in doubting his chances with missing most of the 2nd half of the year with multiple issues but let's face it, any time Nadal has looked a little shaky, he has proven us wrong. Youzhny hasn't been in the greatest form, i think nadal comes out and plays a good match and wins in straight.

7pm start:
F6E00AA0F5454B15A426EDB7383B4B6E.ashx
vs.
8BBAF09B49004330870234315C28ED4C.ashx

Yen-Hsen Lu vs.2- Roger Federer - Roger leads 2-0 - Nothing really to see here. Lu is a solid player who has done well over his career but Roger will have no issue, just a much better player overall

player_310137.jpg
vs.
player_313711.jpg

2- Maria Sharapova vs. Petra Martic - Maria leads 1-0 - Petra was once touted as an up and coming star, hasn't really ahppened for her but has qualified through here. Maria shouldn't have too much trouble as she should be too strong and consistent.

MCA (11am start):
player_310169.jpg
vs.
player_312712.jpg

Jarmila Gajdsova vs. Alexandra Dulgheru - First meeting - Jarmila has not won a match here in her 1000 tires. She has had a great summer and has a lower ranked oppoenent. dulgheru certainly won't hurt her with weapons, it'll be on Jarka's racket. Question is whether she is mentally ready. Get ready for drama.

DE1AB01D722E400BAAF3DD2E3DBFCB99.ashx
vs.
EF1CCB8EBB5E4B279C13A17761A15D25.ashx

6- Andy Murray vs. Yuki Bhumbari - First meeting - This guy is an interesting one, apparently India's biggest thing but is now 22 and now is time to make a step up. Murray will have way too much anyway.

player_313169.jpg
vs.
player_311470.jpg

Irina-Cameila Begu vs. 9- Angelique Kerber - Kerber leads 1-0 - Not a very interesting match, Kerber is just way more of a solid player, I suspect MCA won't be too full for this one.

MCA 7pm start:
player_316161.jpg
vs.
player_319091.jpg

7- Eugenie Bouchard vs. Anna-Lena Friedsam - Friedsam leads 1-0 - That happened two years ago on clay, not sure how much you take into that one. I got to be honest, never seen Friedsam so can't comment on her game, bouchard will be wanting to make it deep here. Both are 20 years old.

A73588D5DB7D4266B191241840A323DA.ashx
vs.
D7CB3369297A4264AA846D76E96C3EF5.ashx

Nick Kyrgios vs. Federico Delbonis - First meeting - Let the hype begin! We have no idea how Nick is going to come out but hopefully he's fit and ready to go because his style of tennis is incredible toi watch. Delbonis was another one of these guys as the next big thing but is only now starting to break through.. Nick has the bigger game and should be able to beat him if everything is right. Should be fun.

Hisense:
Julia Geogres vs. 32- Belinda Bencic
28- Sabine Lisicki vs. Kristina Mladenovic
Tobias Kamke vs. Bernard Tomic
Not before 5pm: Sam Groth vs. Filip Krajianovic

That first match should be an absolute belter. Lisicki could be close to although Mladenovic has had more results in doubles. Tomic should beat Kamke unless he tanks. Groth has a shot too, really would be nice to see him win a match in Australia.

SC2:
Dustin Brown vs. 10- Girgor Dimitrov
Caroline Garcia vs. 27- Svetlana Kuznetsova
7- Tomas Berdych vs. Alejandro Falla
Monica Puig vs. Arina Rodinova

Dimitrova and Brown will have some fun rallies. I smell an upset with the Kuznetsova match. Berdych early round matches bore the crap out of me and Puig should send Rodinova to the slaughter house.

SC3:
Alexander Kudryasetav vs. Marinko Matosevic
Yanina Wickmayer vs. 22- Anastasia Pavlychenkova
An-Sophie Mestach vs. 10- Ekatreina Makarova
Not before 6pm: 11- Ernests Gulbis vs. Thansai Kokkaksnsis

Marinko, just win ok. It's not hard.... That second match should be very tight. Everyone will be wanting to see that final match only to see Gulbis win easily. I'm very happy to be wrong but I don't see it.

Other Aussies:
2nd on Court 6: Kavcic vs. Duckworth
1st on Court 7: Sanders vs. Koukalova
3rd on Court 8: Millman vs. 26- L.Mayer
4th on Court 8: Bertens vs. Gavrilova
1st on Court 13: Thompson vs. Sousa
3rd on Court 20: Smyczek vs. Saville

Out of these ones, Duckworth is a decent but tough shot. Gavrilova can win and I don't hold too much hope the others. I'm not sold on Saville's form hence why i don't see him beating Smyczek. Should be a lot of rallies in that one.

Weather: Mostly sunny 24C

Coverage: Watch either on 7 or 7Two all day starting from 11am. https://au.sports.yahoo.com/tennis/ will have live streaming of up to 16 courts apparently.

All comments on the drama of Day 1 in here.

Will Genie's match be televised, despite not being on RLA? #gogenie

Unlikely, it'll be on the same time as Federer and Kokkkansis so I imagine Seven will focus on those two. Use the 7Sport app or website

Thanks Matt quality write up!

What are your thoughts on Gabashvili? Will Baghdatis handle him easily or?

Quality write-up Matt!:thumbsu:

I'm in an unusual position this year as I'm out of the country for the first week so I'll have to rely on ESPN in the USA in the first week to see how the tournament is progressing but thankfully I'll be back on Australia Day.

I've already booked tickets for the Thursday Night Session at Rod Laver Arena in the second week so I'm eagerly awaiting that session when it comes around. I'm also very tempted to get a 3 day pass for Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday in the second week but I'm not sure it'll be worth it as most players are out of the tournament and the outside courts mainly consist of doubles players generally speaking but I'll see how I feel about doing that especially depending on whether the likes of Genie are still there by that stage!

I'm still shattered that Jo-Wilfried Tsonga isn't playing as he's my favourite mens player along with Stan Wawrinka who I started really following closely from 2011 onwards.

I love the Australian Open as it's my favourite part of the Summer so I'm really looking forward to it. I won't be able to watch Genie's first match on Monday night as I'll still be on a plane to the US by that stage but hopefully I can watch her match on Wednesday if she doesn't somehow go out of the tournament early.

My prediction is a Djokovic v Federer final. Nadal just doesn't seem 100% fit for my liking but don't be surprised to see him be right at the end of the pack again as he's one of the strongest players mentally speaking!

Thanks Matt quality write up!

What are your thoughts on Gabashvili? Will Baghdatis handle him easily or?
Gabashvilli has had some odd matches, I remember him one year beating Gonzalez in new York (back when Gonzalez was top 10). Baghdatis always ahs a question of fitness, I would say Baghdatis in 4 without looking at their h2H

Damn. :(

Maybe they'll show them on 7, 7two and Genie on mate?

I suspect you will see bits of pieces but at least this year we actually have chocie of what court we via online. This is how all the slams should be.

Ivanovic v Hradecka - Would be great to see Ana make a run here at the AO. Unfortunately she hasn't had good GS results, only 2 1/4 finals in the past 6 years. Tough opponent first up, especially if Hradecka is on.

Youzhny v Nadal - What an intriguing match, only for the fact that Nadal has won 4 matches since Wimbledon and to be honest Youzhny has not done much since then either. Has youzhny even played in a lead up tournament? He has troubled Nadal on hard courts before and many will be interested to see what happens here tomorrow. I think Rafa will come out with some solid tennis and win this in 3 sets, maybe Youzhny can steal a set.

Delbonis v Kyrgios - Glad they put this on MCA and not RLA. Nick still needs to prove that he is fit. Could you imagine they put this on RLA and he has a poor performance? Will make no prediction. If Nick was fit, I would have no hesitation tipping him to win this match. We shall see what happens. Hopefully Nick plays at a decent level.

Kamke v Tomic - Deja-vu as usual this summer, with Bernard as 'fit as he's ever been' and in great form. Has a reasonable draw to make the 4th round here. I expect him to take this opportunity.

Groth v Krajinovic - An up and coming player from Serbia is Filip and he has a decent game, but not sure whether he can handle the serve of Groth. Sam is playing pretty well and I think he will get this done in 4 sets, providing he is serving well.

Kudryavtsev v Matosevic - Kud came through Qualies and the way Marinko is playing at the moment I expect the Russian to win.

Kokkinakis v Gulbis - Thanasi will put up a really good fight here and will take a set. But not up to the quality of Ernests. In saying that Gulbis hasn't had a tour win since the middle of October. Gulbis in 4.

Kavcic v Duckworth - Flip a coin. Possible 5 sets. Long rallies.

Goffin v Russell - Goffin made a crazy run in the second half of 2014. So few points to defend and could make his way up to the top 15 with a decent showing here in Melbourne. Interesting to see if he can maintain the form. Hope to see some of his match.

Vesely v Troicki - This is almost the match of the first round. Crazy to think that the 2 title winners the week before a slam meet in the first round. Tough on both of them and they are in great form. If I can't get into the Kokki v Gulbis match then I will head to this one.

Thompson v Sousa - Surprised this is on Court 13. Jordan is a lot of fun to watch and this match should be interesting. No idea on the form of Sousa so can't predict what will happen.

Chardy v Coric - Like I mentioned in the other thread, this will be interesting to watch just with the hype of Coric (a lot of it self proclaimed). Think this could be good to watch.

Seppi v Istomin - In the past I would expect this to be a very high quality match. But not sure on either players form at the moment.

They are the matches I'm really looking forward to tomorrow.

So pumped, bring tomorrow on.

Thompson v Sousa - Surprised this is on Court 13. Jordan is a lot of fun to watch and this match should be interesting. No idea on the form of Sousa so can't predict what will happen.
Guess it's better for Thompson. Won't get intimidated by a large crowd and will probably play his best tennis. He deserves an AO win after that agonising loss last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here we go guys and girls!

The weather gods have handed Melbourne an absolute cracker of a day 25 degree*

The world's best sport people performing at Australia's sporting capital.

*Poncho, sunscreen, raincoat, umbrella, hat, thongs, snow jacket still required due to Melboune's daily four seasons in one day show.

Some great matchups today on the outside courts. Too bad I can't make it until tomorrow. Let's hope alot of Aussies salute today.

Some great matchups today on the outside courts. Too bad I can't make it until tomorrow. Let's hope alot of Aussies salute today.

Absolutely peeved that I won't see Lisiki vs Mladevovic (sp.).

yeah, let's hope lisicki is on and doesn't get sent home early

Who knows with her. It is a good matchup for Sabine though and that worries the heck out of me as she is beyond horrific on a hard court!

Hisense only about 20% full at the moment. I'm guessing many don't realise its ground pass access.
Goerges v Bencic isn't a big crowd puller either. If I was there, I'd most likely be on Court 13 for Jordan Thompson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back