Australian Open 2015 - Day 11

Remove this Banner Ad

We really into end of the tournament now, the semifinals. Both women's and one men's will be play today. Let's go through these:

Not before 1.30pm

10- Ekaterina Makarova vs. 2- Maria Sharapova : H2H 5-0 to Maria : Well, a good record for Maria with her losing only 1 set in those 5 meetings and two of those occuring here in Melbourne. Makarova can certainly hit the ball with Maria so to me it's a factor of experience and consistency for Maria that gets her through and I reckon it will be the same, twos ets one tightly contested.

1- Serena Williams vs. Madison Keys : First meeting : World No. 1 and 18-time slam champion versus 19 first time semi-finalist. Something crazy has to happen here for Keys to win. Keys has a nice game with a lot of power but Serena has got that and then some, straight sets for me.

Not before 7.30pm

7- Tomas Berdych vs. 6- Andy Murray : 6-4 to Tomas : Haven't played in a year a half but I guess you have to wonder why Tomas has the wood over Andy. Berdych certainly has the game to get through Murray but mentally he never has been terribly strong. A slam semi is a bit of a stumbling block for Tomas making the one final and I feel like Andy is playing great tennis. Andy in 4 sets, should be a fun match.

Coverage on Channel 7 from 11am

Schedule of play: http://www.ausopen.com/en_AU/scores/schedule/index.html

Live Scores: http://www.ausopen.com/en_AU/scores/index.html

I'm bloody excited for tomorrow's matches. I have a fair bit invested on the outcomes of tomorrow's matches. I'll be recording the Makarova v Shriekapova match and watching that when I get home from work, then I'll get ready for the huge Semi between Murray and Berdych.

Sharapova v Makarova
i1ywyh.png

29vdpoz.png

6ezq82.png

My head says Sharapova, but my heart says Makarova. I stand to collect $2500 from a pre tournament bet if Makarova is successful at Melbourne Park, but that's wishful thinking at this stage.

Sharapova has won 65 out of her 92 games through her five matches at the 2015 Australian Open, accounting for a 70.65% success rate.

Makarova has won 60 out of her 87 games through her five matches at the 2015 Australian Open, accounting for a 68.97% success rate.

I fancied Makarova's chances of making the final before she took on Halep, and after she destroyed Halep, I really liked her chances. That was until I saw a white hot Sharapova grunt her way past Bouchard with relative ease. She survived a second round scare against Panova, but she means serious business now.

Sharapova deserves to be a favourite, but I don't think she deserves to be an 80% favourite according to the bookies. If it is based entirely on the fact she is the more established player with more class and holds a 5-0 head to head record, then fair enough. Makarova, however, is in super form herself and really enjoys playing at Melbourne Park.

Sharapova was a winner in Melbourne in 2008 and a finalist in 2007 and 2012.
In Makarova's four Grand Slam events last year, she was eliminated in the third round, the fourth round, the Quarter Final, and the Semi Final. If she is to continue on with the trend and go one better than last year's US Open Semi Final, she will have to account for the more talented Sharapova.
Prediction: Sharapova 7-5, 4-6, 6-2

Murray v Berdych
10d729f.png

My heart says Berdych and so too does my head. If Berdych is to win, I believe he can't take it to a fifth set, otherwise I think the superior fitness of Murray will get the Brit over the line.

Murray has won 100 out of his 157 games through his five matches at the 2015 Australian Open, accounting for a 63.69% success rate. Murray appears to be getting stronger as the tournament progresses. His fourth round encounter against the Bulgarian Dimitrov was a titanic battle between two warriors. Dimitrov would have won that game 7/10 times against Murray, but the Brit brought more than his top 30% form to get past him in four sets. He then blasted Aussie young gun Nick Kyrgios off the court in a relatively comfortable Quarter Final win.

Berdych has won 94 out of his 145 games through his five matches at the 2015 Australian Open, accounting for a 64.83% success rate. The Czech is in career best form and is looking to go one better than his 2014 performance when he lost in the Semi Final to eventual champion Stan Wawrinka. He was simply scintillating against a below par Rafael Nadal in the Quarter Final, and has breezed through the tournament without dropping a set. He faces his toughest opponent yet in Andy Murray in the Semi Final.

Berdych holds the superior head to head record and boasts a better first serve. His second serve continues to be a concern, but if he serves against Murray as well as he did against Rafa, then he should win enough free points to make it tough for Murray to break him.

In Murray's four previous Semi Finals at Melbourne Park, he has won three of them. A three time runner up at this event, but has struggled in the past 12 months with a back problem. He seems to be over that now, and he looks revitalised, focused and determined to win his first crown at Melbourne Park.
Melbourne Park is Berdych's favourite Grand Slam. 2015 celebrates the fifth consecutive year Berdych has made the Quarter Finals or better. Despite that, the Czech is aiming for his maiden Australian Open Final. He is in the form of his career, so this is his best chance yet to capture that achievement.

Prediction: Berdych in four sets

Ekaterina Makarova v Maria Sharapova - Makarova had an impressive win on Tuesday against Halep but Sharapova will be a much tougher proposition for her. Sharapova was impressive against Genie sadly and deserved her victory on Tuesday. I would love to see Makarova win but my head says Sharapova wins in three sets and reaches the final!

Serena Williams v Madison Keys - Madison has had a fantastic tournament and she played with a lot of guts to overcome Venus Williams but I think her luck's going to run out against Serena who's just played herself into good form with an impressive dismantling of Cibulkova yesterday. Whatever happens to Madison she should be proud of her efforts but ultimately Serena's experience will get her over the line. Serena in two sets!

Tomas Berdych v Andy Murray - I'm going to be attending this match later this evening (for those reading this on Thursday) so I'm pumped about this match considering I haven't attended the Open this year as I was away in the first week in the USA. Personally I find this too close to call. Tomas is playing some outstanding tennis at the moment and hasn't dropped a set in the tournament so far and he seems like a new man under a new coach and mentor. Andy Murray hasn't done much wrong in this tournament either and he was very impressive against both Dimitrov and Kyrgios in his last two matches. My prediction is Berdych will win this in five tight sets! Should be a cracker if form is anything to go by.

Sharapova vs. Makarova.

Makarova might be a nervous wreck out there against Sharapova. If she isn't, then she'll absolutely cream that very ordinary looking second serve of Sharapova. Pova is a great defender, probably the best at turning defence into offence in the women's game. But I question the stability of her serve. She'll need to get a big % of first serve in, otherwise she can say goodbye to Melbourne. I'm tipping Maka in two tight sets. 6-4 7-5.

Berdych - Murray: It's either gonna be ZzzzZzzzZZzzz or :fire::fire::fire:.

With that being said, I'm backing Berdych in four sets. Murray to take a tiebreaker or something.

Is Serena playing today?

You go girl - can't wait to see your match. I want Serena to win the whole tournament.

This should be Bouchard's day :( Sharapova is evil...

Want to see the underdogs make it through. Would be great to see a Makarova, Keys final, they'd both be so pumped about it and not take it for granted.

Berdych has been playing brilliantly and if he manages to beat Murray he really does deserve to be where he is. Very hard match to pick but I've got a feeling Berdych will win in 4 sets.

Unfortunately I can't see Williams or Sharapova losing, and we'll have an unwatchable final on the weekend. *yawn*

Prediction: Berdych in four sets

interestingly, Berdych took one set in 3 of the 4 games in which Murray won. But these two guys have only played each other twice in grand slams and it's 1-1 a piece.

Berdych has not dropped a set so far in the tournament, Murray has only dropped the one against Dimitrov. Tough game to pick a winner.
Murray seems like he can elevate his game a little more than what we are seeing from Tomas, who appears to be playing to his optimum level.

Bouchard doesn't deserve it. She has weaknesses that she has to really address if she wants to start winning slams. She is overrated IMO.

I aren't really a fan of Sharapova or Williams but I actually wanna see that as the final. 1 v 2. Williams using Sharapova as her b*tch for so long. I wanna see if Sharapova can change thid in the big one.

As for Berdych and Murray, not sure who I'd rather win, probably Murray as he and Djoker will make for a closer final as opposed to Djoker and Berdych.

Not writing off Stan but Djoker is solid favourite. I wish Stan v Djoker was the final!

Love how the commentators are ripping into Maria's time-cheating between points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bouchard doesn't deserve it. She has weaknesses that she has to really address if she wants to start winning slams. She is overrated IMO.
Irrelevant. She's gorgeous. :rolleyes:

On another note as much as Sharapova can annoy me you gotta give her credit, she's one hell of an athlete and player.

Sharapova is the definition of a ball basher. Not once have I seen her slice the ball, volley or even throw in a drop shot from time to time.

Sharapova is the definition of a ball basher. Not once have I seen her slice the ball, volley or even throw in a drop shot from time to time.

She played a number of drop shots this tournament and 1 in this match..

Soooo many. No wonder Serena destroys her every time they play. When you can match her with power, she's toast.

Or Serena is the greatest player of all time and that's why she beats Maria.

Or Serena is the greatest player of all time and that's why she beats Maria.
Serena beat her twice in arguably one of her worst seasons on tour last year. Both straight sets. Wouldn't say Serena was anywhere near GOAT tennis then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back