Australian Open 2015 - Day 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Tomic has potential the problem is I don't see what his great shot is? Now in isolation that's fine but the really top players have their bread an butter attacking shot.

I see Kokkanakis and Kyrios having a higher ranking

Tomic's trouble is his lack of consistency outside Australia. No doubt he gets spurred on when there is home support behind him,b ut he needs to find that internal motivation to succeed when there is no one watching and he's playing a no name on an outside court.

Tomic's trouble is his lack of consistency outside Australia. No doubt he gets spurred on when there is home support behind him,b ut he needs to find that internal motivation to succeed when there is no one watching and he's playing a no name on an outside court.
Agree. Plus he is shocking on clay. Unless he can turn that around, an elite ranking will be out of reach.

Agree. Plus he is shocking on clay. Unless he can turn that around, an elite ranking will be out of reach.

He won a title on clay last year - I reckon there is a massive mental component, then fitness. His game is fine.

Life is more than just......

If you were born with as much talent as Tomic you wouldn't be out partying until the early hours of the morning and turning up to your practice sessions hungover. As I said in my above post, most of the things Tomic is getting right now are ironically things he would get more of if he dedicated himself to fulfilling his talent. It's not about operating on a 24/7 tennis is my life cycle. It's about treating the sport as a professional athlete. And if he doesn't then everyone will forget him about soon enough when it becomes clear he is not going to get anywhere near he could have.

I reckon you're being really harsh. You're basing your opinion on your perception of his talent.

Clearly the bloke struggled mentally at such a young age, it happens. All the talent in the world means little if they can't handle the mental aspects, ask Jack Watts or Dayle Garlett.

We all know how much of a flog his old man is and his influence over a young Tomic. There are so many factors at play, it was hardly an ideal situation.

I can see your point. I don't blame Tomic for being the way he is considering what he has to put up with. His father is an absolute flog and is probably a large reason for his lack of commitment at times. But to say it's smart for a professional athlete to party so much in the pivotal years of their development is way off the mark and not looking at the bigger picture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Halep is a solid 7/10. Good legs especially
She used to be even better....

m4-image-3-778430221.jpg

Actually no he won bogota which is a hard court tournament. And a fast one at that.

He has only won 4 matches at masters series level on clay.

My mistake. Swear that was clay given its south america

Tomic has 5 tournaments in North America starting next month. Hopefully he will finally get a result overseas, especially since he will be defending no points until May.

If you were born with as much talent as Tomic you wouldn't be out partying until the early hours of the morning and turning up to your practice sessions hungover. As I said in my above post, most of the things Tomic is getting right now are ironically things he would get more of if he dedicated himself to fulfilling his talent. It's not about operating on a 24/7 tennis is my life cycle. It's about treating the sport as a professional athlete. And if he doesn't then everyone will forget him about soon enough when it becomes clear he is not going to get anywhere near he could have.

Yeah, the old 'born with as much talent' argument.

If someone like Hitler who was 'born with as much talent' in being an orator and reaching as many people as he did, just cooled his jets a bit we wouldn't have had a world war.

I don't know why I've even engaged your swiss cheese argument.

It's so full of holes and misnomers it's actually physically affecting me to have to read it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back