Australian Open 2016 - Day 10

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.ausopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2016-01-26/roger_federer_260116.html

Q. I'm not sure if you heard Bernard Tomic's response to some of your comments. Colloquially to a lot of people it feels like a kid having a go at a great. Maybe not having a go, but being disrespectful. Do you feel disrespected?

ROGER FEDERER: I said a lot of things in Brisbane, you know. I guess only a small part got taken out of it. It's a bit out of context, in my opinion. Then you feed it to a player, he reacts, might be frustrated, and then he goes even further.

You know, I'd like to see anybody succeed, you know, and anybody make their move. Especially to top 100 first, top 10, World No. 1. If everybody could be that, I wish that for everyone.

To be quite honest, when I walked out of the press room I thought I was somewhat tough, but at the same time I was fair because I said nice things about him. But then I checked his ranking. I didn't know his ranking was as high as it was, to be quite honest.

I thought he was like 50 or 60 and he was top 20. That was my bad, to be honest. But I don't check the rankings every day. I came from the off-season. I had no clue what was going on anymore. That was my bad.

But I still believe it's a big difference top 10 for a week or for a year or for multiple years, and getting there is not easy. It's a lot of dedication, a lot of hard work. There's a lot of guys who have the potential right now, not just him. That's why I think it got brought up in many ways.

It was, I thought, quite funny, because I knew what I said and I knew what I didn't know then when I said it. It was kind of funny, I thought.

Q. There's been a lot of talk about Nick Kyrgios. What are your thoughts about him?

ROGER FEDERER: Nick, I know him a little bit more than Bernie. I wonder if I've ever practiced with him. Of course I've played him a few times now.

Nick came to Switzerland that one time. We practiced before his big run at Wimbledon maybe. I was already unbelievably impressed at his sheer power, his talent, his potential, all that. It goes way back.

I think he's a great player. I think he's enjoyable to watch. I know some people might not like it. I like it. He's got a lot of personality. Might take it far to some extent, but I think he's a great player. He's got sick power, and it's going to take him a long way.

I just think the next couple years are going to be so crucial for him, and I just hope he's aware of that fact.

Q. What advice would you give him if you had the chance to sit down one-on-one? Right now he's trying to win over the Australian public, but he's yet to do that.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, look, I don't know. It's going to be a process, you know. It just takes time for people to get to know you. I had the same thing. I felt very misunderstood many times when I was younger. I felt like I had to put in a lot of work with the press so they first knew who I was so they could relay the messages to the public, the broader public, the right way.

So in a way I always feel like it's really interesting and nice to see a youngster grow up in the public eye. But then at the same time, you also have the negatives, you know.

Of course, he's fighting that a little bit. But I think he's doing okay now, better now. He needs to, obviously, for what happened last year. The advice I would give him, just that he's aware of the fact how important the next couple of years are. Otherwise the train leaves the station and you're maybe not on it.

It would be a pity to waste talent and all that even more so in this day and age because I feel talent brought you further back in the day. Just talking about a guy who has talent and potential, I can't hear it anymore. Too many guys have talent. Too many guys are working hard. I don't believe in that very much anymore.

Federer talking about Tomic & Kyrgios.

Last edited:
Full schedule of play: http://www.ausopen.com/en_AU/scores/schedule/index.html
Weather: Showers, possible storm 25C.
Weather Radar: http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR023.loop.shtml
Coverage: Channel 7, 7Two or watch any match online at https://www.7tennis.com.au/live. You can also download the 7Tennis App to watch any match online on your digital device.

Men's Matches:
ferrer-headshot15.png
vs.
murray-headshot15.png

David Ferrer [8] v Andy Murray [2] - Rod Laver Arena (NOT before 2:30pm) - Third match on Rod Laver Arena.

monfils_headshot_14.png
vs.
raonic-headshot15.png

Gael Monfils [23] v Milos Raonic [13] - Rod Laver Arena (from 7:30pm) - First match of the evening session at Rod Laver Arena.

Women's Matches:

player_311470.jpg
vs.
player_312001.jpg

Angelique Kerber [7] v Victoria Azarenka [14] - Rod Laver Arena (from 11am) - First match on Rod Laver Arena.

player_313907.jpg
vs.
player_311779.jpg

Johanna Konta v Shuai Zhang - Rod Laver Arena (from 11am) - Second match on Rod Laver Arena.

Predictions:
Murray - 4 Sets
Raonic - 4 Sets

Azarenka - 3 Sets
Konta - 2 Sets

Murray in 4
Raonic in 3
Azarenka in 2
Konta in 2

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so he didnt know Tomic wasn't in the top 20 ? lol

Contrary to popular belief, the rest of the world is not really interested where Aussies sit in the rankings :p ;)

It's certainly interesting to hear Roger's thoughts on Bernie and Nick but I wish he wasn't always asked so much about them, I am starting to cringe.

Contrary to popular belief, the rest of the world is not really interested where Aussies sit in the rankings :p ;)

It's certainly interesting to hear Roger's thoughts on Bernie and Nick but I wish he wasn't always asked so much about them, I am starting to cringe.
get used to it. it is one of our national traits.

we yearn for acceptance in this world of ours.

Hollow feeling at the moment. Got money on Azarenka to make the final but hate her more than nazi's and would love to see her go out. Ergghhh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do we have any decent juniors coming through? Usually you get bombarded by juniors getting pumped up but now we've got a few in the top 100 on the tour they don't have to desperately cling to the next generation.
No doubt we'll see Cruz Hewitt in a few short years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back