Australian Open 2016 - Day 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Tomic's just a class above JM. His game's (Bernie's) a lot more solid than it used to be too, despite still being a lazy fker :$
His game has improved and he is a lot more consistent. His return of serve has improved, as has his movement.

He is a chance against Murray. It just depends whether he is up to it physically, because that is what the test will be.

I am the opposite can't stand watching him play. There is absolutely nothing inspiring about his tennis. Has nice variety to his game but murray is going to be licking his lips with some of the half court balls tomic dishes up. Will be lucky to take a set
Fair enough. I've always liked the way he plays the game. He thinks his way through a point and isn't just a ball basher. He uses variety and change of pace. In another era I think he could have achieved greater things, but tennis has changed at the very top.

His serve has also improved drastically. But he has a very average record against Murray, only getting to 5 games once in the 7 sets they have played and all those match ups were on a similar speed court.

Fair enough. I've always liked the way he plays the game. He thinks his way through a point and isn't just a ball basher. He uses variety and change of pace. In another era I think he could have achieved greater things, but tennis has changed at the very top.

His serve has also improved drastically. But he has a very average record against Murray, only getting to 5 games once in the 7 sets they have played and all those match ups were on a similar speed court.
I think his variety is good for the game but still needs to be more aggressive to take the next step. Its more his lack of intensity out on the court which annoys me. I find it very hard to support someone who looks like he is giving it 70% instead of 100%. All will be answered against murray anyway i am looking forward to it

Yep Tomic got it done tonight but it's going to be a f**king bakery next round against Murray - breadsticks and bagels evwrywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomic at the moment is generally a top 20 level player, maybe slightly more in Australia/defending points (which he has already done). As seen by the occasional set he has dropped this week to lower ranked players who have played well. To beat Murray, he would really have to up the ante, and I just don't see it happening unfortunately, not in January 2016. He did manage to get a grip on Ferrer last year, with two wins over him in Masters series tournaments, which is indicative of his increased professionalism and growing place in the game. But to take out Murray in BO5, he'll need to bring one of his best ever performances.

As for the up late needling, I'm team Tomic on this one. Sure, he complains, but in early 2010 (the Cilic match) he was still 17, and I think it is irresponsible to have professional sportspeople start potentially lengthy encounters beyond 10pm (and potentially finish well beyond 1am).

Tsonga vs nishikori today should be a cracking match. Smart scheduling to put it on hisense to get more people through the gate really should be on MCA.. would be spewing if I had MCA tickets today waste of money for robot berdych and a bunch of doubles matches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi - general question.

Ive not been to the Australian Open for years so don't know all the isn and outs

I was given a family ticket Ground Pass for Australia Day. Would I right in saying there'd not be any singles matches that deep into the tournament scheduled on one of the outside courts and that reality is a ground pass will only give you access to doubles matches?

Any input appreciated

I was given a family ticket Ground Pass for Australia Day. Would I right in saying there'd not be any singles matches that deep into the tournament scheduled on one of the outside courts and that reality is a ground pass will only give you access to doubles matches?

Unfortunately for you Australia Day is when the quarterfinals start so all the singles are on Rod Laver.

Going to go against the grain here, but Tomic does have some attributes that can hurt Murray. The problem is that he refuses to use them as frequently as he needs to and instead insists on playing a garbage defensive game. He has neither the mobility, footwork or fitness to be a consistent top-line player playing like that. If he comes out aggressive and actually tries to hit the lines and open the court up, I think he could get closer than expected (not that I think he'll win). If he tries to play as a poor man's Murray as he generally does, he will get smoked.

Going to go against the grain here, but Tomic does have some attributes that can hurt Murray. The problem is that he refuses to use them as frequently as he needs to and instead insists on playing a garbage defensive game. He has neither the mobility, footwork or fitness to be a consistent top-line player playing like that. If he comes out aggressive and actually tries to hit the lines and open the court up, I think he could get closer than expected (not that I think he'll win). If he tries to play as a poor man's Murray as he generally does, he will get smoked.

I was at the game last night, and Tomic actually has some good groundstrokes and potential to be a better player. But he really needs to work on his movement, especially footwork.

Murray v Tomic will be an interesting game.

I'm not sure on the mobile argument. Actively seeking to use them during a changeover should break a rule, and so bringing them out seems pointless, but I'm sure there are times where a player accidentally stows them (after all, they can wait around a long time prior to playing). And hey, in the situation where you were unexpectedly playing all day long you may need to make a quick call, even if there should be other avenues organised for such an event.

I recall Noam Okum (from Israel) playing Philippoussis as a qualifier in the 2000 or 2001 AO R1 (took the Scud to five sets, rather needlessly on Scud's part) being rung on his mobile by his mum (I think), and he had to run over and turn the phone off. There was a lot of casual joking about it, C7 made it into an endearing moment of embarrassment as they will.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back