Australian Open 2016 - Day 8

Remove this Banner Ad

It was 2014 so less than two years ago.

Very nice of Zhang to consider Key's injury in her press conference. You have to remember she is 27 and a professional tennis player.

2 years then, done nothing in Slams in 2 years. If she is number 2...the points system needs a major change. Muguruza I could get as number 2.

Someone like a Radwanska, Sharapova and Azarenka would have showed no mercy.

Which is why it is probably good that Keys didn't win. Imagine what Vika would have done to her!

Its not about sportsmanship. Its plain to see why Zhang has never done much just going off that match. She has little tactical understanding of the sport, and completely bignoted herself when it only lasted so long because she had nfi.
yeah, it was pissing me off.

Watch the last couple of games of Agas match. that is how u defeat a injured opponent. show no mercy, move her around, up down, left right

. it is fine she didnt have a drop shot or control of Aga,, but come on, u can at least move her around a little. a simple slice would have been grand.

Someone like a Radwanska, Sharapova and Azarenka would have showed no mercy.
I don't even think it was about that. Zhang just didn't know how to adjust her play, and so as Keys' level naturally dropped - so did hers. Made for some embarrassing rallies.

She'd go close to copping a double bagel from Williams.

Its not about sportsmanship. Its plain to see why Zhang has never done much just going off that match. She has little tactical understanding of the sport, and completely bignoted herself when it only lasted so long because she had nfi.
Im sure she would have known what she had to do but could not execute it and has limitations to her game don't forget shes ranked 130 for a reason. Great story anyway so good luck to her

Ash and Basil on tv yet again.
3UzsN40n9zWz6.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well Muguruza has only got to the Wimbledon final and nothing else throughout 2015, so it will be interesting how she goes this year. It is all about consistency throughout the year that is why Aga is ranked as high as she is as she plays all year whilst others get injured. My fav female player atm is Karolina Pilsokova (sp!) but she needs to become more consistent.

My fav female player atm is Karolina Pilsokova (sp!) but she needs to become more consistent.

Yeah I like her too, think she had a good tournament. Saw the match she lost, needs to work on her movement more (it has improved heaps). She will win a LOT of Wimbledon's in my view though.

2 years then, done nothing in Slams in 2 years. If she is number 2...the points system needs a major change. Muguruza I could get as number 2.
What a load of rubbish.

Up until this tournament since 2014 at slams:

Halep:
QF, F, SF, 3R, QF, 2R, 1R & SF.

Muguruza:
4R, QF, 1R, 1R, 4R, QF, F & 2R.

Radwanska:
SF, 3R, 4R, 2R, 4R, 1R, SF & 3R.

Sharapova:
4R, W, 4R, 4R, F, 4R, S & Absent.

Kerber:
4R, 4R, QF, 3R, 1R, 3R, 3R, 3R.

Kvitova:
1R, 3R, W, 3R, 3R, 4R, 3R, QF.

Honestly if she's done nothing in 2 years WTH have the rest done?

*I understand Sharapova & Azarenka would be ranked 2nd & 3rd in an ideal world but if you miss large parts of the season injured and barely win any titles you'll obviously be ranked lower than others.

Not that I have a ticket for either session tomorrow, but it is unfair for patrons of the night session tomorrow. They only get Djokovic nishikori plus a women's doubles. The day session ticket holders get Serena vs Sharapova, kerber vs Azarenka and fed vs Berdych.

Not that I have a ticket for either session tomorrow, but it is unfair for patrons of the night session tomorrow. They only get Djokovic nishikori plus a women's doubles. The day session ticket holders get Serena vs Sharapova, kerber vs Azarenka and fed vs Berdych.
Yeah pretty good value the day session tomorrow!
Note though it is Radwanksa v Navarro is the match instead of Kerber v Azarenka.
I think on Wednesday they might/"should" mix it up a bit and add Konta v Zhang to the night schedule with Murray and Ferrer

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Azarenka is at the moment trying to hold back laughter....

As I said $3.50 for her when I know she is making the final from her half is ridiculous odds.
Backed into $2.75 now but still good money for someone who is nearly a lock to make the final

Yeah pretty good value the day session tomorrow!
Note though it is Radwanksa v Navarro is the match instead of Kerber v Azarenka.
I think on Wednesday they might/"should" mix it up a bit and add Konta v Zhang to the night schedule with Murray and Ferrer

they really cant.

The girls back up the next day for their semis. even though they do this every week in a tour, it still doesnt seem right for them to get such a short break between the quarters and semis if u played one game at night.

they really cant.

The girls back up the next day for their semis. even though they do this every week in a tour, it still doesnt seem right for them to get such a short break between the quarters and semis if u played one game at night.
Oh yeah I forgot about the double header semis on Thursday

I have tickets for the day session tomorrow, I'd rather the night session personally though. I just hope we don't see the bad Berdych.

Backed into $2.75 now but still good money for someone who is nearly a lock to make the final

Nearly a lock lol, she is a lock. I mean she is 6-0 against Kerber having barely dropped a set and the other semi is laughable (but typical of womens' tennis...and they get equal pay...yikes). Serena has to take on Maria then Radwanska. Azarenka has a cruise through.

*I understand Sharapova & Azarenka would be ranked 2nd & 3rd in an ideal world but if you miss large parts of the season injured and barely win any titles you'll obviously be ranked lower than others.

That is my point. These two have been MUCH better at slams. They need to severely reduce the points for the minor events, More points need to be given to majors. You can't have your top 2 seeded player going out like chump change. Azarenka/Maria should be 2 & 3 (whichever order). Then chook raffle the rest.

That is my point. These two have been MUCH better at slams. They need to severely reduce the points for the minor events, More points need to be given to majors. You can't have your top 2 seeded player going out like chump change. Azarenka/Maria should be 2 & 3 (whichever order). Then chook raffle the rest.
Saying they've had much better slams is debatable though.

Of the last two years
Halep -
R1 to R3: 3 slams
R4: 0 slams
QF: 2 slams
SF: 2 slams
F: 1 slam
W: 0 slams

Sharapova -
R1 to R3: 0 slams
R4: 4 slams
QF: 0 slams
SF: 1 slam
F: 1 slam
W: 1 slam

Sharapova has obviously more consistency and doesn't get knocked early like Halep as well as winning a slam, however Halep has reached the QF's 5 times while Sharapova only did that 3 times. Sharapova also missed a slam as well.

Azarenka-
R1 to R3: 2 slams
R4: 1 slam
QF: 4 slams
SF to W: 0 slams

Like Sharapova, Azarenka also missed a slam. She has also gone out early in slams however she hasn't gone beyond a QF in the last two seasons (unlike Halep). Even based on your own argument Halep would deserve to be ranked higher than Azarenka.

No shame in admitting you've massively underrated Haleps performances in slams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back