Australian Open - Day 9

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok, quarterfinals time, lets look at these matchups (11am start):

player_314320.jpg
vs.
player_311604.jpg

3- Simona Halep vs. 10- Ekaterina Makarova - H2H 1-0 to Halep - I have a feeling this will be a good matchup, Halep will be able to counteract Makarova's big well and match it with some weapons herself. Makarova keeping the rallies short ill be the key here. Halep in straight.

Not before 12.30pm:

player_316161.jpg
vs.
player_310137.jpg

7- Eugenie Bouchard vs. 2- Maria Sharapova - H2H 3-0 to Maria - Their French Open match last year was brutally tough and I expect more of that here. Genie losing a set in her last match is a question of concern and Maria seems to be turning the corner. Maria in straight.

D7DB4A4DDF7D4197B49C2C8488DAFB85.ashx
vs.
93EC64877CB246E6A3A04DF3B87F7E29.ashx

7- Tomas Berdych vs. 3- Rafael Nadal - 18-3 to Nadal - Won his last 15 meetings over him, fair to say Nadal has the edge here and let's be honest whenever this matchup occurs Berdych fold like a cheap tent. The tennis so far from Berdych has been outstanding and will be trying to be attacking aggressive tennis. Rafa will do what he does best and grind him down and then play his own style of aggresive tennis with his forehand. Rafa in 3.

Not before 7.15pm:

A73588D5DB7D4266B191241840A323DA.ashx
vs.
DE1AB01D722E400BAAF3DD2E3DBFCB99.ashx

Nick Kyrgios vs. 6- Andy Murray - 1-0 to Murray - Looking at their match in Canada, mMrray pretty much dismantled Nick just being way too solid and even Nick absurd serve and power couldn't get through Murray. I think this is a crap matchup for Nick (and going to be a huge issue heading into the next few years of his career) and may have already met his expectations since they were pretty low coming in. Andy is playing pretty well and should win this easily sadly.

Weather: Partly Cloudy 21C
Coverage on Channel 7
Live scores: http://www.ausopen.com/en_AU/scores/index.html

^Straight set victories for all four matches on dsy 9 I wonder what they would pay as multi bet

$1.14 Murray
$6.20 Kyrgios

If Kygrios wins tonight in 5 then government might as well announce a public holiday tomorrow.
Thursday night semi against Nadal would be ch7 highest rating program this year easily

Would love to see Genie beat Sharapova. Excited to have the day off to watch some tennis.

/end lame way of subscribing to the thread.

If any of those matches are going the distance, it will be Bouchard v Sharapova. How often did Sharapova win a match last year after losing the first set? That could be on the cards again today.

I actually reckon Makarova will beat Halep too. Probably in three.

Im frothing over the Kyrgios v Murray match. Best serve of the tournament v best returner of the tournament so far.

Awesome article on the stats and possible strategies for the match:

http://www.ausopen.com/en_AU/news/articles/2015-01-26/match_of_the_day_murray_kyrgios.html

Murray actually has a higher winning percentage overall for the tournament when his opponent is hitting a second serve (60 per cent) than when he is hitting his own second serve (58 per cent). Think of it as if Murray has three serves, and the opponent only gets one. Not really fair play from the Brit.

Murray leads the tournament in return games won at 41 per cent (25/61), and if he can be a step ahead in the guessing game of Kyrgios’s serve location, then the Aussie is going to have a very tough time holding serve.

We are currently in the golden age of the returner, so this match will be a great yardstick to see if the serve, long thought of as the most dominant shot in tennis, can get a little more shine back on its tarnished image.

Last edited:
3 top matches after this current one. Gonna be a good solid day of doing nothing and watching the tennis.

3 top matches after this current one. Gonna be a good solid day of doing nothing and watching the tennis.
From one Chelsea fan to another, I think it's fair to say all four matches today are intriguing.

Makarova is playing some amazing Tennis this tournament.

If any of those matches are going the distance, it will be Bouchard v Sharapova. How often did Sharapova win a match last year after losing the first set? That could be on the cards again today.

I actually reckon Makarova will beat Halep too. Probably in three.

Great call

ON FIRE

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Azarenka losing yesterday was one of the best things that has happened to the tournament

God dammit I wish we had an Aussie tennis player that was reasonably likable. Tomic now Kyrgios. Yes Kyrgios your s**t does stink.

She seems to be trying too much too soon. Doesn't seem to want to get engaged in any rallies.

Rafa v Berdy will be a classic, at least it appears so.
Both guys seem to be peaking at the right time in the event but Rafa's record against the big hitters, and in particular Tomas Berdych, is ridiculous. Can see this one going to 5 after one or two tie-breaks.

Murray in 4 but wouldn't be surprised if he wipes the floor with the young Aussie. Been a great run thus far but Murray had the perfect challenge against Dimitrov who is obviously the more superior and experienced player to Kyrgios. Will hold Murray in good stead to start off the 1st set.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back