Australian public vote with their feet on 50 over cricket

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
I feel like CA are putting prices up deliberately to kill off 50 over cricket as they hate it.

Yeah.

Maybe if someone came out and told us what we always knew and then priced it accordingly, maybe (but only maybe) they could have doubled last night's crowd. ie - "The players in this match will be trying their hardest to win, but in the overall scheme of things this match and its result has no real significance whatsoever. We will rest players who you may have wanted to see. We will tinker around with the line up regardless on individual and team form. There is no chance you will see the best Australian XI and, although we can't speak for our opponents, it is very doubtful they will play their best XI. As a result, whilst this game is at the highest level of the sport, it is by no means an elite match. As a result, ticket prices are 50% of what they usually are for adults and all you'll need to get a kids in with you is some loose change. We hope you enjoy your night sufficiently so you'll be back and happy to pay the usual price when we have a real contest on"

By the way, who came up with the "Australia's Greatest Dress-up Party" promotion? So we'd want to go to the cricket to watch drunken yobbos and pimply teenagers dress up as super heroes and in gorilla suits. That's the best thing to see at the cricket? Wow. Cricket must really suck.

Jun 3, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
76ers
If CA primarily care about TV ratings then why don't they play these games at smaller venues such as Canberra, Tasmania etc? At least the atmosphere will be better and tbh it looks much better on tv watching a match at a smaller ground that is packed rather than at the MCG with a sparse crowd. Probably be a similar crowd figure for the SCG ODI considering its a dead rubber and its going to be 35-40 degrees

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
If CA primarily care about TV ratings then why don't they play these games at smaller venues such as Canberra, Tasmania etc? At least the atmosphere will be better and tbh it looks much better on tv watching a match at a smaller ground that is packed rather than at the MCG with a sparse crowd. Probably be a similar crowd figure for the SCG ODI considering its a dead rubber and its going to be 35-40 degrees

agree - if its a tv game the sparse crowd detracts.

They'd also lose $$ on MCG games - understand need a crowd of 30K to break even on costs

the 5th wiggle

All Australian
Sep 2, 2011
Barwon heads
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
storm
This summer, because of the World Cup, we have only 20 days of Test Cricket, and 72 days of limited over cricket. If that's not reaching saturation point, I don't know what is.

Why would people attend last night's game knowing how unimportant the result was in the overall scheme of things this summer? I have a mate who works in the Melbourne CBD, walked down to the ground after work. He'd already missed half the game. When they told him how much he had to pay to get in to see half a game, he went out to dinner instead.
At the very least it should be half price for people coming after work at 6 or 7pm.

Mar 21, 2008
FNQ
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Devils, Tigers & Jackjumpers
From 1979 to sometime in the early 1990's, all of the grounds with the exception of the SCG treated ODI's as a major event, held on a single weekend with plenty of promo, and all counting towards a trophy. Melbourne had a double header every year and a few midweek games, Perth and Brisbane got two each, and Adelaide had the Australia Day triple header. Sydney's draw was the fact that until 1985 it was the only venue which could host day/nighters. The comp took about five weeks to complete, Australia packed out many games, and it was great...

Since then, the following factors have eroded the sport:
1) The Windies have declined.
2) Ticket prices.
3) At the exact moment ODI cricket needed balance and rivalry as T20 cricket appeared on the horizon, Australia were simply too good for everyone else.
4) The World Cup. The glittering prize now overshadows the other three years it's not on, and because of it everyone now places emphasis on developing a cyclical team. Australia sucked two years before each of its three consecutive WC wins, as they rebuilt the side for the next successful onslaught. Right now, we're watching two very well matched sides play some great cricket, but noone gives a f### outside diehards.
5) Stupid scheduling.
6) The eroding of the live sport experience with stupid promotions, hip hop dancers and other rubber dog s**t that detracts from the game. Don't play me ten seconds of a song between overs - play me the whole bloody thing or shut up. Dancers - down in front please. Vodaphone - I don't want one, and no amount of inflatable oversized mobile phones rolling around the ground during the intermission will change my mind. In the 1993 WSC final in Melbourne, some guitarist was wheeled out into the ground at half time, unnanounced and we couldn't see who he was. He then said "Gday, I'm Tommy Emmanuel, and I'm gonna play you a few tunes". Everyone queued up for the can or the kiosk basically missed it, but it was the best break entertainment I've ever watched...just a man and his guitar - that's the way you do it...
7) There's more, but the wife has told me to get ready because we're going out for dinner...

Last edited:
From 1979 to sometime in the early 1990's, all of the grounds with the exception of the SCG treated ODI's as a major event, held on a single weekend with plenty of promo, and all counting towards a trophy. Melbourne had a double header every year and a few midweek games, Perth and Brisbane got two each, and Adelaide had the Australia Day triple header. Sydney's draw was the fact that until 1985 it was the only venue which could host day/nighters. The comp took about five weeks to complete, Australia packed out many games, and it was great...

Since then, the following factors have eroded the sport:
1) The Windies have declined.
2) Ticket prices.
3) At the exact moment ODI cricket needed balance and rivalry as T20 cricket appeared on the horizon, Australia were simply too good for everyone else.
4) The World Cup. The glittering prize now overshadows the other three years it's not on, and because of it everyone now places emphasis on developing a cyclical team. Australia sucked two years before each of its three consecutive WC wins, as they rebuilt the side for the next successful onslaught. Right now, we're watching two very well matched sides play some great cricket, but noone gives a f### outside diehards.
5) Stupid scheduling.
6) The eroding of the live sport experience with stupid promotions, hip hop dancers and other rubber dog s**t that detracts from the game. Don't play me ten seconds of a song between overs - play me the whole bloody thing or shut up. Dancers - down in front please. Vodaphone - I don't want one, and no amount of inflatable oversized mobile phones rolling around the ground during the intermission will change my mind. In the 1993 WSC final in Melbourne, some guitarist was wheeled out into the ground at half time, unnanounced and we couldn't see who he was. He then said "Gday, I'm Tommy Emmanuel, and I'm gonna play you a few tunes". Every queued up for the can or the kiosk basically missed it, but it was the best break entertainment I've ever watched...just a man and his guitar - that's the way you do it...
7) There's more, but the wife has told me to get ready because we're going out for dinner...

good post.

the advent of the internet/social media/ gen y has contributed to the need for constant sensory stimulation - be it at intervals or major intermissions. we have for decades gone to the cricket to watch the game. now as you said there are dancers, fireworks, music, NOISE, all to create a faux atmosphere.

this has also led to "cricketainment". the notion that t20 was all for fun, until CA realised its a massive cash cow and a trophy is on offer. couple this with the moronic commentary from nein, and you have a product that has waned.

finally, what's for dinner?

May 10, 2009
Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Adelaide
I didn't even bother with my AO membership this Summer such was the contempt CA treated us with. One Test match, one T20I with the C team (which was in the middle of a working week), and no Aussie ODIs until the quarter finals of the WC (which is still no guarantee Australia will make).

Why would they not want to take advantage of a brand new stadium, in a city that would at least get double the crowd the MCG got last night? Me being pissed off is an understatement.

ODI cricket is caught in no mans land.

For the bloke that wants to take his wife and kids along - T20 provides the best option. All the zip, music and action to keep the tribe amused.

For the guy that really digs his cricket, ODI has always been a poor substitute for test cricket.

Personally, if they spiced up the wickets and ensured that no more than 3 could field in the deep - then we might be getting somewhere.

I hate seeing a batsman cream a half tracker, or drive beautifully through covers and only get a single. Similarly, I hate a bowler being bullied and too scared to bowl an attacking length because there is nothing but pain letting the batsmen have a swing.

Juice up the pitches - make 200 a quality score - enforce attacking fields and a let's see a genuine contest between bat and ball. Rather than a lot of the rubbish we get now which is a contest between bat and bat. FFS - at North Sydney a few weeks back we had 650 runs and 1 wicket 3/4 of the way through a match. Why not just play 6 batsmen and use bowling machines if that is what you want to showcase.

again, what do ppl want to see? big hits - that's what t20s give. ODIs were traditionally boring in the middle overs where rotating the strike and knocking it around for singles (remember the glide to 3rd man?). that's good for players like geoff marsh and clarke who can manipulate the ball. power plays? have they been a success?

t20 has provided society with a quicker and easier solution

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I reckon ODI's were still a pretty big event up until the early 2000's.

Disagree with this being proposed as a reason for the decline in interest in the 50 over format in Australia. Even with our legendary side of the early to mid 2000's plenty of sides gave us more than a good challenge in the tri series - it was a SA/NZ final in 2001/02, Sri Lanka won 2005/06, England won 2006/07 etc. Even in years where Zimbabwe were the third team in there, crowds were pretty good because you knew that you were going to get to see the bulk of Hayden, Gilchrist, Ponting , Martyn, Symonds... Lee and McGrath doing their stuff.

2) Ticket prices.

5) Stupid scheduling.

I think you've hit the mark with these two and would also add the reason of the way CA treat it. Doesn't matter what the sport or format is, people want to see the fiercest contest between the best players. Look at the International Rules as an example - it was quite a big thing back 10-15 years or so, the scenes they showed of the match at Croke Park with Pavlich celebrating like he won a flag after he helped get us over the line, the scuffles etc. show just how much it meant to the players. Then when you start having sides being captained by Brad Green, picking Cameron Ellis-Yolman the public see that and cannot take it seriously. I get that these days players, especially bowlers cannot play every single game, so we need to think of ways to smarten up the schedule so that we maximise their availability. The public aren't dumb and don't want CA pissing on them telling them it's raining (ie. no offense to the guys mentioned, but it's not really the Australian Cricket team when Dunk, Reardon, Maddinson and Richardson are all out there). When the administrative body unashamedly sees it as a 'feeder competition', it's hard to generate genuine enthusiasm.

I still think ODI's have a big part to play in the future of cricket. They still generate decent crowds across most of the world - India still pack out their stadiums, so does England, crowds here are still healthy (when the schedule isn't ****ed), have been pretty impressed watching ODI's in NZ over the past couple of years and the format is still strongly supported in South Africa. Television ratings for matches is still strong worldwide. There's no benefit in throwing all that away. Adjustments have to be made though.

bombersfan4000

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Charging the best part of $100 for a ticket, if those claims were true, is probably the reason.....
not quite $100
Venue:
Sydney Cricket Ground, NSW

Date:
Sun 23 Nov 2014 2:20pm

Ticket pricing at:
Sydney Cricket Ground, NSW on
Sun 23 Nov 2014 2:20pm

Categories Price Per Ticket/Item*
Platinum
Adult $142.73
Gold
Adult $127.44
Concession / Pensioner $115.20
Juniors (5-15yrs inclusive) $76.46
Family (2 Adult + 2 Jnr) $293.62
Family of 3 (2 Adults + 1 Jnr) $293.62
Silver
Adult $86.66
Concession / Pensioner $69.33
Juniors (5-15yrs inclusive) $43.84
Family (2 Adult + 2 Jnr) $195.74
Family of 3 (2 Adults + 1 Jnr) $195.74
Bronze
Adult $61.17
Concession / Pensioner $42.82
Juniors (5-15yrs inclusive) $24.47
Family (2 Adult + 2 Jnr) $134.57
Family of 3 (2 Adults + 1 Jnr) $134.57
Reserved Seat
Adult $50.98
Concession / Pensioner $30.58
Juniors (5-15yrs inclusive) $17.33
Family (2 Adult + 2 Jnr) $110.11
Family of 3 (2 Adults + 1 Jnr) $110.11
4 for 3 Offer $151.91
Movember Special Offer $50.98
Aussie Army
Adult $50.98
4 for 3 Offer $151.91
South African Fans
Adult $61.17
Concession / Pensioner $42.82
Juniors (5-15yrs inclusive) $24.47
Family (2 Adult + 2 Jnr) $134.57
Family of 3 (2 Adults + 1 Jnr) $134.57
MILO Family Zone
Adult $50.98
4 for 3 Offer $151.91
Non Alcohol Silver
Adult $86.66
Concession / Pensioner $69.33
Juniors (5-15yrs inclusive) $43.84
Family (2 Adult + 2 Jnr) $195.74
Family of 3 (2 Adults + 1 Jnr) $195.74
Non Alcohol Gold
Concession / Pensioner $115.20
Juniors (5-15yrs inclusive) $76.46
Family (2 Adult + 2 Jnr) $293.62
Family of 3 (2 Adults + 1 Jnr) $293.62

but for a silver $86 or bronze ticket $61 for a single adult.
it is still pretty expensive, worse when you add up if you bring kids, or buy some to eat or drink over the 7 hr period of the game

bombersfan4000

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
When you're being charged s**t loads to go to the game, $5+ for a coke, $10 for a beer.. of course people don't want to go.
thats why you byo one of these
hip flash.jpg

Cheapest tickets yesterday were $35. At a stadium the size of the MCG.

Cheapest tickets on Sunday are $50. CHEAPEST. Have a guess why nobody will go.
This is primarily the reason I didn't go.

Tickets in the family area were $50 each adult, kids weren't much

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
With the rising cost of going to games, the majority of people can only afford one day out at the cricket a season. With the Indian's and the World Cup coming up, it's unlikely many are going to prioritise this ODI series - even if it's South Africa - as their first choice day at the cricket for the summer, or even second or third choice to be honest.

That $12.50 burger is just a joke, but this isn't a cricket problem. Outrageous food prices are common at all venues across the country across all sports.

If you could get full strength beer, then the prices aren't actually to bad. Only slightly higher than standard pub prices, but when you're frozen out with only mid strength it definitely drives a few away.

All these problems add up to the crowds. Daniel Brettig wrote a good article and said November matches need November prices. Tickets should have been half the price, and I reckon the crowds would have more than doubled so CA still end up with the same ticketing revenue, but without empty stadiums that 1) look s**t on TV, and 2) lead to negative publicity, and 3) additional catering revenue.

The food prices is something all sporting organisations needs to be stick up for the punters, and tell the catering companies to cool their jets and freeze prices for a few years. Your four major expenses for a sporting event are your ticket, parking, food and alcohol. On a % basis I would say food is the biggest rip off in terms of cost v quality. You're paying pub food prices for a 7-Eleven quality feed. I would actually pay double if you knew you were getting a decent meal that would keep you full for the duration. You could spend $50 on stadium food and still be hungry when you finish up.

Last edited:

DrVanNostrand

Premiership Player
Dec 14, 2011
129 West 81st
AFL Club
Gold Coast
It's even $30 for the cheapest tickets to the England/India ODI up here at the Gabba during the tri-series. Absolute rort. When you consider the group stages of the World Cup only cost $20, I have no idea what CA are playing at with their pricing.

Even though it's a s**t game, I've been ruined by the baseball experience in Korea. Tickets are $7, 500mL cans of full-strength beer are about $2.80, and food is servo prices. No reason why CA can't try to make it reasonable. It's just easier to complain about poor crowds than actually looking at their business model.

Prices in NZ are almost as ridiculous, but they do have a promotion where if you buy your tickets about a month in advance you get almost half off the price. NZ$45 Test-match passes, $20 ODI tickets and catch-a-six-for-$100k promotions make for a decent summer.

Last edited:
Back