Australian Wrestling thread

Remove this Banner Ad

My brother did. Am a regular attendee of Wrestlerock, which is a pretty good show - caters for 18+ at the Corner Hotel in Richmond, Vic. Used to do regular monthly shows, but have dropped right off alas. Next one is in August.

And now I know the reason why Aussie wrestling will never be that popular!
The local Adelaide promotion that I attend (Wrestle Rampage) is really good and have gone to all their monthly shows this year with my younger cousin but their next show will be a 18+ event with Pole dancing and everything...uh WTF?? How are they supposed to survive when they do stupid events like these?

Now not only am I not going because of this (I think it's stupid due to the fact that I want to watch a wrestling show not a strip show) but I have to tell my younger cousin who looks forward to going to wrestling events, that we aren't going this month due to them moving away from a wrestling show and turning it into a circus! Not Happy at all!

Pretty shitty to hear that, they get some good talent. Wish I could have made it up there to see Shinsuke Nakamura a while back!

In some other Australian wrestling news WWE will be holding some tryouts in Melbourne when they're down! There will be kiwis and Australians attending it, but the Australians I've read are going are Toni Storm, Savannah Summers, Giant Kyote and Sara Jay. The New Zealand people who'll be there are Travis Banks, Rhys Youngblood, Shane Whitehead, Jade Diamond, Kade Morgan and Marcus Kool. Out of all these people I've only ever seen Savannah Summers perform and she's a South Australian so hopefully she gets a contract!

Pretty shitty to hear that, they get some good talent. Wish I could have made it up there to see Shinsuke Nakamura a while back!

In some other Australian wrestling news WWE will be holding some tryouts in Melbourne when they're down! There will be kiwis and Australians attending it, but the Australians I've read are going are Toni Storm, Savannah Summers, Giant Kyote and Sara Jay. The New Zealand people who'll be there are Travis Banks, Rhys Youngblood, Shane Whitehead, Jade Diamond, Kade Morgan and Marcus Kool. Out of all these people I've only ever seen Savannah Summers perform and she's a South Australian so hopefully she gets a contract!
Nakamura was amazing! I had front row seats to the show. After the show I even chatted with him for a while (His English isn't the best but he understands a few words here and there). I told him that he was one of my favorite current wrestlers and he thanked me for supporting him and everything.

About the tryouts, hopefully WWE can sign some Aussie talent because there is plenty here!

The local Adelaide promotion that I attend (Wrestle Rampage) is really good and have gone to all their monthly shows this year with my younger cousin but their next show will be a 18+ event with Pole dancing and everything...uh WTF?? How are they supposed to survive when they do stupid events like these?

Now not only am I not going because of this (I think it's stupid due to the fact that I want to watch a wrestling show not a strip show) but I have to tell my younger cousin who looks forward to going to wrestling events, that we aren't going this month due to them moving away from a wrestling show and turning it into a circus! Not Happy at all!

Good for you man. I really hate this outdated notion that wrestling fans are all sexist neanderthals who want their women with huge boobs and with no clothes on.

I'm with you mate - I go to wrestling shows to watch hopefully entertaining athleticism and occasionally good storylines. Not to be made feel like a hypocrite because they've turned it into something that is against my values.

Good for you man. I really hate this outdated notion that wrestling fans are all sexist neanderthals who want their women with huge boobs and with no clothes on.

I'm with you mate - I go to wrestling shows to watch hopefully entertaining athleticism and occasionally good storylines. Not to be made feel like a hypocrite because they've turned it into something that is against my values.
It's just stupid combining wrestling with pole dancing, how does that even make sense? I guess they're desperate to make a few extra bucks and I'm sure a lot of people who don't even like watching wrestling would go just for the naked women. I just feel sorry for the many kids that have been to previous wrestling shows and enjoyed it. Now they'd have to wait another month to attend another one.

You should give Riot City Wrestling a try. I'm not a regular but perhaps go once a year and always find their shows consistently entertaining and the standard of wrestling is pretty high for an indie show.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You should give Riot City Wrestling a try. I'm not a regular but perhaps go once a year and always find their shows consistently entertaining and the standard of wrestling is pretty high for an indie show.
I've thought of checking out RCW before but never did, I'll definitely check it out! :thumbsu:

I've thought of checking out RCW before but never did, I'll definitely check it out! :thumbsu:

Hope you enjoy it mate, they put on some ripper shows. Although their recent addition of a tiny titantron with dodgy audio quality was probably a bit of a misfire, hahaha. I think they did one "backstage segment" that nobody could hear.

Hope you enjoy it mate, they put on some ripper shows. Although their recent addition of a tiny titantron with dodgy audio quality was probably a bit of a misfire, hahaha. I think they did one "backstage segment" that nobody could hear.
Ah well...at least they're trying to do backstage segments, which is cool. I really think Aussie wrestling needs to go up another level and produce a televised 'Supershow' featuring the best talent in Australia + some good overseas talent! It could be like a Australian version of Wrestlemania LOL! It could be held at Etihad once a year!

Booker T Says WWE Needs an Australian Star
Booker T recently revealed in an interview for The Herald Sun that he has been doing some WWE scouting in Australia. Booker T had the following to say regarding his trip:

"We definitely need an Australian star. It's just good for business … I'm definitely looking for the next superstar. The door is open for the young guys to break in."

Ah well...at least they're trying to do backstage segments, which is cool. I really think Aussie wrestling needs to go up another level and produce a televised 'Supershow' featuring the best talent in Australia + some good overseas talent! It could be like a Australian version of Wrestlemania LOL! It could be held at Etihad once a year!

i assume etihad sponsor a gym or rsl somewhere and thats what youre referring to.

You are over-estimating the market for Australian Wrestling, I reckon Dave's backyard would do just fine...;)
I'm definitely not over-estimating at all. Rod Laver would be a great venue to hold such an event! I remember back in 2008, there was this wrestling event called 'International Assault Tour' in Adelaide and it drew 1,000 people and the main attraction was Heidenreich (Former WWE superstar). I'm sure with a few more 'big names' it could easily draw 5,000 in Melbourne!

the first international assault tour advertised mick foley and matt hardy (neither ended up appearing) and had jeff jarrett, aj styles, christopher daniels, rhyno and the dudley boyz and it didnt come remotely close to selling out hisense arena.

im pretty sure the show with hogan vs flair didnt sell out whatever building it was in, in melbourne at least.

how does 5000 people = rod laver arena, anyway? at best youd be going for hisense arena, and even that would be half curtained off

the first international assault tour advertised mick foley and matt hardy (neither ended up appearing) and had jeff jarrett, aj styles, christopher daniels, rhyno and the dudley boyz and it didnt come close to selling out hisense arena.

im pretty sure the show with hogan vs flair didnt sell out whatever building it was in, in melbourne at least.

how does 5000 people = rod laver arena, anyway? at best youd be going for hisense arena, and even that would be half curtained off
Rod Laver is just a better arena than Hisense! * that's a good lineup at that International Assault tour, it's a pity that it didn't sell out! I always used to think that we had one of the best wrestling fan bases in the world! Obviously that isn't true judging by the attendances at local events. It's a shame! I wish Aussies were as passionate about wrestling like the UK is!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back