Australia's World T20 Squad (March 2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

I know, i'm okay with it but it will just be a little funny watching a keeper come in after a bowler like NCN

Nevill would bat depending on circumstances. At least with Nevill you know he will Rotate the strike

Not really considering where the WC is. Will allow us to decide whether to play Marsh or Agar depending on conditions.

Maxwell bowls better spin than Agar...he will only play if Zampa gets injured - unless for some stupid reason they want to play 3 spinners.

Maxwell bowls better spin than Agar...he will only play if Zampa gets injured - unless for some stupid reason they want to play 3 spinners.

It will be a question of how spin friendly the pitches are. Agar could be handy.

Unfortunately I don't really see where they fit in Khawaja

1. Warner
2. Finch
3. Watson
4. Smith*
5. Maxwell
6. M.Marsh
7. Faulkner
8. Nevill+
9. Zampa
10. Coulter-Nile
11. Hazlewood

Can we please open with Watson at least! The bloke just smacked a ton opening. Won't be shocked if Khawaja plays ahead of Finch though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately I don't really see where they fit in Khawaja

1. Warner
2. Finch
3. Watson
4. Smith*
5. Maxwell
6. M.Marsh
7. Faulkner
8. Nevill+
9. Zampa
10. Coulter-Nile
11. Hazlewood

An allrounder could be unlucky to allow for Khawaja. We have 4 in your side plus 3 genuine bowlers. That's alot of blokes who can bowl. Maybe we lose an allrounder for a batsman. When a player like Khawaja is in the form he is in you fit him by hook or by crook. Like S.Marsh in the Test Series, someone is simply unlucky.

Last edited:
There are so many bemusing decisions made, I don't even know where to begin. Even the decisions I completely agree with, don't actually make sense when you put them in context...

Nevill over Wade -- no issues with this decision, but given Nevill's complete lack of T20 experience, surely he should have been played during the domestic series, or at least over in NZ? Why didn't Nevill play instead of Bancroft??

Josh Hazelwood -- good player, but very limited T20 experience

NCN -- no match fitness, big gamble.

Agar -- lol, wot?? He's barely bowled so he must be selected as a batsman or batting allrounder...

No Lynn -- dominant player of the BBL, then gets three games against Indian and is dropped. Why bother selecting him against India if he was no chance for the World Cup. Or did they change their mind on the basis of his three games?

No Head -- see Lynn. You could also make a case for Head to play in Agar's spot - he actually bowled more overs than Agar, and took more wickets.

No Marsh -- no issues with this... but, it does beg the question, why did they select him against India???

No Baily -- as with Marsh, I don't have a major issue here except, again, why did they select him against India??

All in all, I don't mind the squad despite a few baffling decisions (ie, Agar). But it makes absolutely no sense when compared to the teams that played this summer. The selectors have clearly got no clue whatsoever and are stabbing in the dark. The selection of Nevill is particularly bizarre. If I were a player, I'd be pretty bloody confused.

Rod Marsh has got to go.

I'm not sure why people want to criticise Marsh so much. He and his selection have left out those who looked clueless against against spin, left out those out of form, taken a risk on gun players (who the same people would probably be complaining about if they didn't get in) and dropped a few liabilities. The only thing the did wrong was select these liabilities (Wade, Tait I'm looking at you) in the first place. Boyce vs Zampa is 50/50. It won't really matter who's there tbh. Leaving out Lynn and Head is the right decision. Lynn is hopeless against spin and Head is just too inconsistent. His bowling also offers nothing at international level IMO. I'm not saying I wouldn't change the squad but to say Marsh has to go or he will be responsible for a likely group stage exit is simply not right. If he's made mistakes it's in players 13-15, not the players who'll make the difference between winning and losing games.

There are so many bemusing decisions made, I don't even know where to begin. Even the decisions I completely agree with, don't actually make sense when you put them in context...

Nevill over Wade -- no issues with this decision, but given Nevill's complete lack of T20 experience, surely he should have been played during the domestic series, or at least over in NZ? Why didn't Nevill play instead of Bancroft??

Josh Hazelwood -- good player, but very limited T20 experience

NCN -- no match fitness, big gamble.

Agar -- lol, wot?? He's barely bowled so he must be selected as a batsman or batting allrounder...

No Lynn -- dominant player of the BBL, then gets three games against Indian and is dropped. Why bother selecting him against India if he was no chance for the World Cup. Or did they change their mind on the basis of his three games?

No Head -- see Lynn. You could also make a case for Head to play in Agar's spot - he actually bowled more overs than Agar, and took more wickets.

No Marsh -- no issues with this... but, it does beg the question, why did they select him against India???

No Baily -- as with Marsh, I don't have a major issue here except, again, why did they select him against India??

All in all, I don't mind the squad despite a few baffling decisions (ie, Agar). But it makes absolutely no sense when compared to the teams that played this summer. The selectors have clearly got no clue whatsoever and are stabbing in the dark. The selection of Nevill is particularly bizarre. If I were a player, I'd be pretty bloody confused.

Rod Marsh has got to go.
I agree, rather baffling. Not a bad squad in the end, but I have no idea how they came to that decision. Makes the games against India even more confusing. Why were S Marsh and Boland picked over Hazlewood and M Marsh? Why bother with Lynn, Head, Lyon, Bancroft and Boyce?
Hazlewood is a good selection. He's the best bowler available and should at least be able to keep it tight in the the power play, which is more than you can say for Richardson, Tait and Boland. Agar just looks like a nothing pick, select him when he actually does something of note.

small sample but to be fair both these guys looked out of their depth vs India. Since it is a World Cup and India will likely go deep into the tournament, picking them is difficult.

An allrounder could be unlucky to allow for Khawaja. We have 4 in your side plus 3 genuine bowlers. That's alot of blokes who can bowl. Maybe we lose an allrounder for a batsman. When a player like Khawaja is in the form he is in you fit him by hook or by crook. Like S.Marsh in the Test Series, someone is simply unlucky.
While I don't think you can have too many bowling options in T20 losing an allrounder or even one of the quicks seems the sensible way of getting Khawaja in who I agree is a must pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back