Leon

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2004
Bound for Germany 2006!
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Harry's Heroes
Chin up leon, i know it hurts mate but you have to try and see the silver lining, the glass half full. Think of it this way. Had we come out today and smashed GWS with a display of utter glory... you would feel great...but maybe, just maybe, finihsing the year like this is EXACTLY what is needed for the club to have a good hard look at it self. players and coaches, and adress all those things you have mentioned. and many other things folks here have mentioned.

An old coach once told me while i was crying in the corner after a heartbreaking lose, literally off my own boot. (i missed the penalty in the shoot out)

"All pain is necessary son, if only to know what it is. Through you we feel it, through us the outside feels it. Tomorrow we will all be brothers, and no one will remember it was your pain in this moment that made us so." He was a great man who led us to victory many times over.

Cheer up mate, your never alone as a bulldog, expecially in pain.

;)

Thanks ThirdLegUp :)

I sincerely hope that today is looked upon as a major turning point in years to come

Peter Gordon said at the season launch last year that supporting the Dogs is character building. He's right, but games like today can more than cause an existential crisis

Sep 27, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
New York Yankees
Tim this is a great result for the footy club if you sit down and analyse it.

Now Macca is under pressure from week one next year and we will find out one way or the other if he can coach next year instead of this constant patience rubbish.

If this man is the man to take us futher today gives him 12 months to prove he is regardless contract
I think this was always going to be the case regardless of today's result....

Unorth

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Say what you will about Macca and his strategic coaching, but if there's one coach in the league I'd want talking to Stringer after the match about the dropped mark, it'd be him. I think he'll help Stringer move on in a good way.

Sep 27, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
New York Yankees
When you win every statistic possible comfortably and still losing, something is horribly wrong with your game plan. There is no way around it.

Mccatney stays, but I'll say it again, we desperately, desperately need a senior assistant to assess overall game style and tactical decision making. We can't go into next season with the same coaching set up. Simply can't.
Today's loss had nothing to do with coaching IMO Fronk, it was execution of skills notably kicking for goal...take everything aside we convert as well as them we win by 5 goals ......

Today's loss had nothing to do with coaching IMO Fronk, it was execution of skills notably kicking for goal...take everything aside we convert as well as them we win by 5 goals ......
Especially with the continued trend of teams slotting them from impossible angles against us! o_O

ooh - 11854 posts

Sep 27, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
New York Yankees
Especially with the continued trend of teams slotting them from impossible angles against us! o_O

ooh - 11854 posts
They converted at 72% (amazing kicking), we converted at 42%... Man it's a wonder we got that close..we must improve in this space, it's cost us several times this year.. If we converted at 72% we would have kicked 25 goals, not 15..

suetonius

All Australian
Apr 22, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Kansas City Chiefs.
They converted at 72% (amazing kicking), we converted at 42%... Man it's a wonder we got that close..we must improve in this space, it's cost us several times this year.. If we converted at 72% we would have kicked 25 goals, not 15..

Yeah, but a lot of our behinds were rushed through by them.

Oor Wally

Team Captain
Feb 12, 2008
launceston
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So sad about the season and especially today, the end of my 54th year of supporting, I was hoping for a miracle season. I am quite hopeful with the success of the reserves and what they're producing we have a future Another s**t season and I've seen a few. Now living interstate I get most doggies news here and I thank all the posters who give the info and especially the reserve games and competitions. Keep the chin up lads I've seen worse

Proffessor

Club Legend
Jan 21, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Tim this is a great result for the footy club if you sit down and analyse it.

Now Macca is under pressure from week one next year and we will find out one way or the other if he can coach next year instead of this constant patience rubbish.

If this man is the man to take us futher today gives him 12 months to prove he is regardless contract

I have to disagree with you on this one MD. Not on the premise but on the timing. I felt those exact sentiments at the end of in 2012 and 2013 but was disappointed with what followed.

Of course, he should have been under pressure and showing if he could coach right from the start. He has had 2012, 2013 and now 2014, and blown them all.

In the highly unlikely event that he has been holding back hidden talents, I think next year is already too late to employ them. When you finish 15th, 15th, and 14th, you have to expect that a significant number of players, and an even greater proportion of supporters will have lost faith in the coach's message. Once it is gone for the players, it is almost impossible to get it back. Even if we have slight improvement next year, most supporters aren't going to be happy with meagre returns either, because he has too much debt in the emotional ledger. The improvement repayment rate they expect get's ramped up because he is three years behind in his payments already, and the emotional bankers (the supporters) want genuine indications that he is capable of not only paying the next period's payment but the payments he has missed over the past three years as well. It's a kind of death spiral.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I have to disagree with you on this one MD. Not on the premise but on the timing. I felt those exact sentiments at the end of in 2012 and 2013 but was disappointed with what followed.

Of course, he should have been under pressure and showing if he could coach right from the start. He has had 2012, 2013 and now 2014, and blown them all.

In the highly unlikely event that he has been holding back hidden talents, I think next year is already too late to employ them. When you finish 15th, 15th, and 14th, you have to expect that a significant number of players, and an even greater proportion of supporters will have lost faith in the coach's message. Once it is gone for the players, it is almost impossible to get it back. Even if we have slight improvement next year, most supporters aren't going to be happy with meagre returns either, because he has too much debt in the emotional ledger. The improvement repayment rate they expect get's ramped up because he is three years behind in his payments already, and the emotional bankers (the supporters) want genuine indications that he is capable of not only paying the next period's payment but the payments he has missed over the past three years as well. It's a kind of death spiral.

No we don't disagree I THINK he has to go now but I'm pretty sure he won't

What I'm saying is another year of this(which I fully expect) should have all fans calling for his head at next years end if not before

But again if it was my call he would have coached his last game today

TheHoneyBadger

"I lost my phone"
10k Posts Western Bulldogs - Cordy, Honeychurch, Prudden, Dale Player Sponsor 2015
Sep 17, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Other things I learned today:

- Devon Smith is a jerk (has nothing to do with the game or Igloo's more justified hatred of him :p)
- Don't sit in the bay in front of the toilets, it smells. Took me far too long to figure out that that was the problem.
- Going for 4 kicks of the footy throughout the day results in very sore calves and hammies. Sore face too, I was hit in the head twice.
- VitalDread loves a goal ;)
- I need a new phone.

These games are more of a learning experience than even McCartney would've anticipated.

David Schwarz

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 30, 2013
M9 - M10 Standing Room
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Think it was around Thursday when I said to myself "this place is going to be hilarious when we lose on Sunday". It was written in the skies, a side burnt out and frustrated with itself against a mob that's still just happy to be here, for the time being anyway

Disposal was shithouse, a second quarter fade out, that's new, as Macca said post game.

I honestly believe we should have been knocking on the door for finals this season, given our "defeat from the jaws of victory" campaign. Enough is still there for me to be optimistic, but it'd be nice to drop the skill errors that seem to have constantly plagued us since about 2001

Anyway, let's all hold hands and sing as we embark on what will be the most ridiculous off-season ever. Featuring the charismatic performances of Mattdougie , theAthenian , that professor bloke, the other bloke that couldn't spell "a", myself as I remember how much fun it is to bang your head against a wall, and many more

Proffessor

Club Legend
Jan 21, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

What I'm saying is another year of this(which I fully expect) should have all fans calling for his head at next years end if not before

We are on the same page.
Unfortunately, I take no solace from the fact that others are likely to agree with us next year. It will still be another wasted season, and more diminished careers. It makes for tragic viewing. We can only hope the administration wakes up sooner rather than later.

I am extremely worried about the damage McCartney is likely to inflict on the playing list during the upcoming trade period.

littlenails

All Australian
Mar 7, 2002
Procyon, Canis Major
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Stoke City

I think that he has proven to be a poor coach and should go. But, we know he will not. Most of our players have not performed this year as expected (maybe we should get a good teaching coach?).

We didn't tank today, if we did the coach would have kept Austin on for longer rather than subbing him off in the third quarter. Austen was playing well for GWS at that stage. When Stevens came on we started winning, which was no good. But then again, he did select Gia in the starting 18 when it has been well and truely proven of late that Gia can't run out a game.

Also that open backline of ours, great invitation for GWS to just run on in and goal at will. Which they did.

Our lovely crowded forward line with everybody hand-balling the footy around until they lose it. Quick, short kicks, no way!

In Perth I used to go to the Inglewood Hotel often to watch the Bullies, but left because I was either the only Bulldog supporter there or wasn't made to feel welcome.

Last edited:
I am extremely worried about the damage McCartney is likely to inflict on the playing list during the upcoming trade period.
Really? One thing he has done very well at so far is recruiting and list management o_O

But I am worried about Jones and Talia being disgruntled and wanting out. We can't afford to lose them :eek:

Jun 24, 2008
Athens, Greece
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Think it was around Thursday when I said to myself "this place is going to be hilarious when we lose on Sunday". It was written in the skies, a side burnt out and frustrated with itself against a mob that's still just happy to be here, for the time being anyway

Disposal was shithouse, a second quarter fade out, that's new, as Macca said post game.

I honestly believe we should have been knocking on the door for finals this season, given our "defeat from the jaws of victory" campaign. Enough is still there for me to be optimistic, but it'd be nice to drop the skill errors that seem to have constantly plagued us since about 2001

Anyway, let's all hold hands and sing as we embark on what will be the most ridiculous off-season ever. Featuring the charismatic performances of Mattdougie , theAthenian , that professor bloke, the other bloke that couldn't spell "a", myself as I remember how much fun it is to bang your head against a wall, and many more

All hail the all seeing eye
You pompous self flagellating ass
" I was walking down the road yesterday thinking Sunday's lotto numbers will be 5 , 16, 18...."

everything u have said has proven to be a rubbish yet u don't have the balls to admit it
You have surpassed yourself lets get ready for a preseason full of optimism where we will be a shoe in for the premiership, solve world hunger and find a cure for cancer according to David "she'll be right i knew it all the time" Shwartz"

Last edited:

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
All hail the all seeing eye
You pompous self flagellating ass
" I was walking down the road yesterday thinking Sunday's lotto numbers we be 5 , 16, 18...."

everything u have said has proven to be a rubbish yet u don't have the balls to admit it
You have surpassed yourself lets get ready for a preseason full of optimism where we will be a shoe in for the premiership, solve world hunger and find a cure for cancer according to David "she'll be right i knew it all the time" Shwartz"

Mate this year I think if we have learned anything it's that some people take this board so seriously they actually have a real hate for the posters that dare disagree with their obvious genius.

lol I think it's funny how they pick one little error someone makes out and continue to throw it out but most haven't had an original thought or opinion of their own to start with.

Keep fighting the good fight mate coz as clear as it is that Macca has to go I bet the above mentioned won't be around when he does :)

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Really? One thing he has done very well at so far is recruiting and list management o_O

But I am worried about Jones and Talia being disgruntled and wanting out. We can't afford to lose them :eek:

Really ??

Lower? Fuller? Dickson? No KPS

Keeping Howard

Running Minson into the ground by not helping him

I dare say it may be his strength but he still hasn't been great at this

Jun 24, 2008
Athens, Greece
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Mate this year I think if we have learned anything it's that some people take this board so seriously they actually have a real hate for the posters that dare disagree with their obvious genius.

lol I think it's funny how they pick one little error someone makes out and continue to throw it out but most haven't had an original thought or opinion of their own to start with.

Keep fighting the good fight mate coz as clear as it is that Macca has to go I bet the above mentioned won't be around when he does :)

Yes he will he will claim he knew it was going to happen all along and that everything was a well conspired plan to pull the wool over our eyes and show us what a genius he is (if u actually check the how successful thread it was me who said not to pencil this game in as a win Maybe he has theAthenian envy!)

Go back to bed.

I couldn't. I went to Mass and blamed God for letting us lose and for Richmond making the Finals. I'm sure She wasn't happy with what I told Her. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back