Review Autopsy vs Essendon, Round 18 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

No potting Crameri this week;)
I still don't like him, but he's been awesome the last two weeks. Can't fault him. Two best games for the club.

Keeps playing like that and he might grow on me! :p

Here are some photos of your young team winning today sending you into the 2016 finals serious that you might like.
My Nana's boyfriend who is like 84 and nearly blind is a happy man today with the doggies winning.
393174_gl.jpg
393175_gl.jpg
393181_gp.jpg
393182_gp.jpg
393188_gl.jpg
393189_gl.jpg
393190_gp.jpg
393191_gp.jpg
393193_gp.jpg
393195_gp.jpg
393196_gp.jpg
393197_gp.jpg
393198_gp.jpg
393199_gp.jpg
393200_gp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Some random thoughts:

Michael Talia was not nearly as bad as some are suggesting. The 50m penalty he gave away really annoyed as we had Essendon bottled up in our forward half with sustained pressure. The 50 let them out and they goaled from that forward move. His other WTF moment was when he baulked his opponent and ran inside 50, probably something he's not used to doing. He didn't have any idea what to do with it and kicked a long ball to nobody in particular.

Apart from those two moments I thought he did OK. He was really our main man, undersized and up against potentially three KPPs in Daniher, Hooker and Carlisle. Morris of course is a tremendous ally and Essendon had no real drive from the midfield but some credit for them kicking only 5 goals must surely go his way. Even Daniher's solitary goal was a bit fortunate because Talia first got the spoil but it spilled Daniher's way. Talia had 18 disposals, 4 marks, 4 tackles and a few spoils. If he has to play again next week that's OK with me - he has shown he's capable.

Caleb Daniel is looking like a real draft bargain. He has only just turned 19 and played 5 games. You can see the improvement almost week by week as he becomes more confident and gets more game time. His play in the forward pocket to keep the ball alive, beat a "squadron" of pursuing Essendon players was one of those magic moments like Bont's incredible goal against Melbourne last year when your jaw drops and you think "this kid is going to be special". Such a shame the eventual set shot (Murphy?) was a miss. He has great hands, good vision, quick decision-making and generally executes well, even though his disposals are nearly always in heavy traffic. I'm always happy if he has the ball in hand. Can't wait to see how he develops. In time he will cut half-back lines to ribbons.

Lachie Hunter has backed up with a game possibly better than the one he played last week. The penny has dropped. He has arrived. We already knew he was measured as having elite agility and VO2max capacity. We also knew he was a natural footballer. What we are now seeing is what he can do with all that AND some real discipline and team focus. Two special moments today were (1) handballing over his head to a teammate speeding past when he was corralled on the boundary - great vision! and (2) when harassed in front of goal late in the game he looked for a teammate in a better position rather than try for goal of the year.

When people saw Libba go down in the first PS match they said who's going to carry the WB midfield now that Libba, Griffen and Cooney have gone? The answer is Dahl, Wally and Picken and we are no worse off for it. Luke Dahlhaus is having an incredibly consistent season. Probably flying just under the radar because he's not BoG every week, more like 4th or 5th best for us. His work rate is there every week and every quarter. Liam Picken was not BoG today either but like Dahl you pretty much know the minimum you'll get out of Picken each week and that's going to be a very strong contribution. Mitch Wallis is growing in stature, leadership and footballing contribution every week. Must be favourite for the Sutton Medal at this stage, even though he's missed a few games. Has added goalkicking to his talents this year and is really hurting sides with his clearance work.

Finally a shout out to Jason Johannisen who is another player putting it all together under this new coach. Opponents must have nightmares about his scything runs from defence, especially when he goes through the corridor. Not many catch him when he puts the jets on. He is not just quick and evasive, he also generally delivers accurately (despite a couple of missed i50s today). The transitions that JJ, Murphy and Wood are able to create are what has made us so exciting to watch and such a dangerous team when we aren't being "strangled" by the opposition setup.

Incidentally I still think that's Bev's biggest challenge (how to beat a solid lockdown) but the signs are that we are starting to get there.

Hopefully Hunter really backs up his performances now. He has a taste of what he himself can achieve at this level so hopefully that hunger can drive him and he can do it week in and week out. I thought Prudden did some really good things today in tight under some immense pressure. Shows he's still got that inside ability and made some very good handballs to players on the move.

A few general points:

- I continue to be concerned about handpassing to players under more pressure than the original handpasser. We didn't get found out today cause Essendon were witches' hats, but we will get exposed badly in the Finals on the turnover if we keep doing that.

- I simply can't believe how wrong i was about Hunter and how massively he has turned things around. The moment that stood out for me was when he set up Daniel's 2nd goal. Hunter was completely in the open, running away from goal 20m out with us 70 points up - perfect opportunity for partytime. But rather than go for the wonder goal himself he did the unselfish thing and set up Daniel. I nearly kissed the screen - I just couldn't believe it. Stringer would have taken the shot 12 times out of 10. That act alone said it all for me. Good on ya, Lachie.

- Mitch Wallis is getting cleaner and cleaner with his inside work. He always liked getting his hands dirty. But now he's losing the fumbles. I know he's getting some good press, but I really think he is improving this year more than people realise. It will become more obvious when he has Libba next to him I suspect.

- Good to see Daniel becoming confident enough to start slowly showcasing a few of his skills. There were a couple of his patented half-volley gathers today. I suspect he will become known for them pretty soon. He is definitely exciting!

- How awesome was JamesTurdCam! I loved the way they kept going back to him after every Crameri goal. Made my afternoon.

- I am also loving the way Grant and Johannison take their licence to run. It is both exciting and seriously effective.

- My biggest note.... Completely unacknowledged over the last month or so is that Jack Macrae was dropped for his defensive work - but since he has returned he has been in our top 3 tacklers EVERY. SINGLE. GAME. Today he was our 2nd highest tackler with 7 tackles. I am so so so impressed with a player who is not only keen to learn, but doesn't forget again the week after.
Most of us were wrong about hunter mate. He's done a complete 360 on us.

I heard on here he may not even of been at the club in 2016

180. A 360 would mean he'd have spun around and ended up in the same place.

360 is appropriate :p

We were all so excited about him early on, then we lost that confidence and now it's back.

On a side note, how did Campbell go today?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just finished the replay. Bont was better than I thought live.

Wood has definitely pinged a string in the last second. Or at least overstretched. I expect him not to play.
What did he do that impressed you? I was at the game so haven't seen the replay

See, this is what I mean buddy, you think recent form and fixtures are irrelevant, but actually, recent form and fixture are all that really matter.

I'd be more inclined to buy what you're selling here if you'd beaten us and the Eagles in the past month or so.

Beating those two teams in Round 1 and 2 doesn't count for a whole lot in Round 18, in terms of judging form and legitimacy of those victories.

With that said, you can only beat what is put in-front of you, which you are doing. But you're being softened up for an easy finals kill with this run home, I'm telling ya! Same thing happened to us in 2014... we won 9 in a row, and even actually beat some half decent sides too, but we caught teams like Port and Sydney at very good times during the year, and when it came to finals, we were ripe for the kill.

Beating a team in round one who are fresh with no injuries is easy.......?

My god they must have got flogged as they didn't whinge about the umpires.
They look broken to me, and how Hird us still there is one of life's mysteries
Just loved the way we put the foot to the throat, and as someone who has seen them beat up on us on the scoreboard and physically under Sheedy, that was pleasing .

Talia the only negative for me, he just isn't good enough at the moment. Can't wait for Fletch to be fit.

JJ, Wood, Murph. When these three play well we win.
The problem is he isn't great one on one.
It was his weakness under McCartney, and he still has it .

My fave thing about Bontempelli is his kicking inside 50. Skill and decision making are above anyone else in our team, even Murph. Probably top few in the league at this, and it generally comes from a pretty hot situation.
The Bont is that good with his hands his teammates just don't expect it .
Caleb Daniel below his knees is just exceptional, as his decision making .
To think we got rid of that useless lump of s**t Jones for that pick

Cheers popin absolute stunning pictures. Caught some brilliant moments.

Can someone tell me what bob did before the game? I heard the radio announcers commend him but someone walked In front of me.

Wore no 37 to the coin toss. I'm guessing it was either a tribute to Cameron Wight or Adam Goodes.

Last edited:
Here's a question.... is there a back line of small defenders better than Murphy, Boyd, JJ at the moment? Most teams have one or two...we have three!

Maybe needs a thread all on its own

Remove this Banner Ad

Back