Away from bigfooty - NHL

Gus Poyet

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 1, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Brighton & HA, Boston Celtics
While I'm a big hockey fan I don't really post on these forums much as I've a mate who I talk to non-stop about the hockey. That generally means I don't feel the need to come onto this part of bigfooty and go over all those similar convos again.

Was just interested to know the break down of people who come here to talk hockey because they may not have any mates who are interested in the NHL and this is a way to chew the fat with other hockey fans. Or on the flip side those who do have a heap of mates who follow it.

FedEXFalls

Losing makes you grow
Apr 25, 2011
A few years ahead
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Dallas Stars, Melbourne Ice
I have one friend who'll watch a game every so often on fox sports and talk to me about it. Other than that it's all about the NBA & Soccer for people I know. I like it a lot because I don't have to put up with people checking stats on their IPhones and suddenly wanting to talk to me about it like they're experts.

I have a friend who's a very good soccer player and comes from a soccer family who can't stand talking to our other mates about it because they really have no ******* idea and just rehash everything written by the media.

Druitt Soldier

Team Captain
Oct 30, 2013
Parramatta, NSW
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Detroit Red Wings
Its just me. I tried to get some mates into it. Even trick them into coming over for a BBQ and just throw a game on and crack some drinks and go oh hey since its on you guys wanan watch it? But they just tell me to F*** off and put something else on.

:(

Someday ill find a NHL friend

Aug 13, 2007
Vancouver
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oilers
Its just me. I tried to get some mates into it. Even trick them into coming over for a BBQ and just throw a game on and crack some drinks and go oh hey since its on you guys wanan watch it? But they just tell me to F*** off and put something else on.

:(

Someday ill find a NHL friend

That sucks! It's tough, fast and skillful. I'm not sure what there is not to like. Long before I ever came to Canada I was into it and playing the old Nintendo games.

Druitt Soldier

Team Captain
Oct 30, 2013
Parramatta, NSW
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Detroit Red Wings
That sucks! It's tough, fast and skillful. I'm not sure what there is not to like. Long before I ever came to Canada I was into it and playing the old Nintendo games.
Yea same. Ive always loved playing it on the xbox and have loved the game ever since i first saw the mighty ducks movies back when i was a little kid.

And you're right. Its a very faced paced and action packed game. Its rarely ever just a one sided belting too. Any team can step up on the day and beat a top side team which only adds to the excitment.

And even thou they're not a big factor for me but the fights alone should draw people to the game.

I just love seeing the skill inthe game. I think that it takes the most skill out of almost any sport ive seen. To play on the hardest surface in the world with knives on your feet and then have total control over a tiny puck to me is nothing short of amazing

Aug 13, 2007
Vancouver
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oilers
I just love seeing the skill inthe game. I think that it takes the most skill out of almost any sport ive seen. To play on the hardest surface in the world with knives on your feet and then have total control over a tiny puck to me is nothing short of amazing

Yeah, it's crazy. Not sure if you've seen a game live but it is amazing. They make it look easy. Then I try and skate and have to hold on to the rails :D I've got no chance of teaching my boy but luckily one of my mates was a decent junior player so he can help out.

Druitt Soldier

Team Captain
Oct 30, 2013
Parramatta, NSW
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Detroit Red Wings
Yeah, it's crazy. Not sure if you've seen a game live but it is amazing. They make it look easy. Then I try and skate and have to hold on to the rails :D I've got no chance of teaching my boy but luckily one of my mates was a decent junior player so he can help out.
Yea i have a subscription to game center. have had one for years. cant get enough of it. best bit is that you can watch your team play 3 times a week so if you miss one game you still got two more to watch. looking forward to watching the wings take on pittsburg on sunday. its great too because the games are played so late in the us/canada that they are still played at a reasonable time here.

Druitt Soldier

Team Captain
Oct 30, 2013
Parramatta, NSW
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Detroit Red Wings
just realised what you meant by live. nah i havent been to a game before. id love to actually go to one. would be incredible to get out there with my red wings jersey repping for detroit

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
I'm a lone ice hockey fan as well, so away from here, my ice hockey discussions are severely limited.

A childhood mate of mine (who now lives in the UK) is a Rangers fan, so the best I get is a bit of Facebook banter from him (and a universal dislike of the Islanders).

Back