Axed - Before The Game!!!!

CatFan73

Senior List
Oct 3, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
it would probably work as a radio show obviously (minus the visual gags). Major problem is the panel work for differing stations.

Christ Saturday night pre-game is going to be dull without it. Guess we can look foward to the BT and Luke Darcy variety hour featuring cooking with Boomer Harvey's missus and magic tricks with BT and the boys.

I feel like banging my head against a wall just picturing it.

Christ Saturday night pre-game is going to be dull without it. Guess we can look foward to the BT and Luke Darcy variety hour featuring cooking with Boomer Harvey's missus and magic tricks with BT and the boys.

I feel like banging my head against a wall just picturing it.

Mrs. Boomer cooks? I thought she just ate at the nearest KFC.

Mrs. Boomer cooks? I thought she just ate at the nearest KFC.

Tips on the best way to reheat left-over pizza.

Who am I kidding, we all know there wouldn't be leftovers.

harmesy 37

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2005
Princes Park
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Nothing
What else do you expect from a show that had Molloy, Hughes and Lehmo on the panel. I am still yet to laugh at any of their jokes.

Molloy and Hughes are up there with the best Australian comedians of all-time. Obviously you must have a weird sense of humour.
Great show but ruined by the flog Andy Maher.

Hopefully if chan 7 picks it up they don't bring Maher over. I hate him. Hughesy, Molloy, Neroli, Pete Helliar and Richo to replace Maher/Lehmo

Maher has a very small role in it and is the "straight man" who laughs at everyone's jokes and is the butt of many of Molloy's jokes. He serves a purpose.

Either way, Molloy and Hughesy are amongst the top 10 comedians Australia has ever produced and bring a truly unique perspective on footy that we don't get from all the straight-laced presenters and ex-players.

Anyone who doubts Molloy's credentials should refresh themselves with The Late Show and anyone who doubts Hughes's credentials should see one of his stand-up programs or buy one of his cds. Simply outstanding, refreshing and quick-witted..both of them. I think the next best on this show is Fitzy. That interview he did with Kevin Bartlett was one of the funniest things I have ever seen. True Australian humour. The other sports masquerading in Australia- league and soccer- cannot provide this sort of interplay as they don't have the narrative to build upon to get this type of Australian humour.

2.00 into this footage.

I also liked the sprays Hughesy and Fitzy do. This one at the Swans was a golden one.

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
49érs, SF Giants, GS Warriors
Molloy and Hughes are up there with the best Australian comedians of all-time. Obviously you must have a weird sense of humour.

Just lol.

Next thing you will be telling me is that Peter Helliar and Lehmo are a great comedians. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Hughes and Molloy are way past their use by date.

Just lol.

Next thing you will be telling me is that Peter Helliar and Lehmo are a great comedians. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Very few things more subjective than comedy. I've never been a massive fan of Hughes' comedy, but like him as a media personality. As for Molloy, I think he's hilarious.

In my opinion, the funniest person in this country by a considerable margin is Shaun Micallef, but I know a few people who can't stand him. Comedy can only really be measured by success rather than talent - as only one of the two is objectively quantifiable. And in that way, Molloy and Hughes (as well as Helliar and Lehmo) are very good comedians.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Very few things more subjective than comedy. I've never been a massive fan of Hughes' comedy, but like him as a media personality. As for Molloy, I think he's hilarious.

In my opinion, the funniest person in this country by a considerable margin is Shaun Micallef, but I know a few people who can't stand him. Comedy can only really be measured by success rather than talent - as only one of the two is objectively quantifiable. And in that way, Molloy and Hughes (as well as Helliar and Lehmo) are very good comedians.

Micallef too at number 1 for me. Tony Martin isnt too shabby either.

harmesy 37

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2005
Princes Park
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Nothing
Just lol.

Well as a keen "student" of the Late Show -

I put everyone from The Late Show - Rob Sitch, Jane Kennedy etc - up there in the elite of Australian comedy. Mick Molloy was part of this ensemble. I would have Sitch, Gleisner and Cilauro ahead of Molloy based on their work after the Late Show including The Castle and Frontline....obviously these are shows you have never seen.

To knock anyone out of this ensemble is plainly a retrograde attitude or comes from a point of ignorance. I presume your position is based on not having watched these shows.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Well as a keen "student" of the Late Show -

I put everyone from The Late Show - Rob Sitch, Jane Kennedy etc - up there in the elite of Australian comedy. Mick Molloy was part of this ensemble. I would have Sitch, Gleisner and Cilauro ahead of Molloy based on their work after the Late Show including The Castle and Frontline....obviously these are shows you have never seen.

To knock anyone out of this ensemble is plainly a retrograde attitude or comes from a point of ignorance. I presume your position is based on not having watched these shows.

Molloy was never bad on his own, but with Martin he was a force to be reckoned with. I still regard MartinMollloy as the best thing to happen to radio

This Is Anfield

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Podcaster
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, England, Furies
Very dissapointed if BTG doesn't find a new home - it's a show that the whole family enjoyed, not many of them!
Maher was fine as the straight man who stopped the others going too far.
Neroli is a class act - more natural than Sam.
Molloy is funny, always thought so (apart from his Ch 9 show:eek:)
Fitzy's segments are usually funny.
Hughes is ok & Lehmo harmless.
The good part is that they had guests on & gave them time & space to shine! Not huge names all the time.

And if it does come back on another network there is good news for those who hate it - it's not compulsory to watch!

Very dissapointed if BTG doesn't find a new home - it's a show that the whole family enjoyed, not many of them!
Maher was fine as the straight man who stopped the others going too far.
Neroli is a class act - more natural than Sam.
Molloy is funny, always thought so (apart from his Ch 9 show:eek:)
Fitzy's segments are usually funny.
Hughes is ok & Lehmo harmless.
The good part is that they had guests on & gave them time & space to shine! Not huge names all the time.

And if it does come back on another network there is good news for those who hate it - it's not compulsory to watch!

So true. The Nathan Grima interview was brilliant.

Back