Ayrton Senna and Formula 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 24, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
New York Giants, Adelaide Strikers
Does anyone else miss him as much as me?

I was only four at the time but when he died I hated formula 1 and stopped formula 1 at the time. It was not until late 2002 when I started to get back into it.

Would M.Schumacher be as good as he would of been if senna had of lived and raced for another 6 years?

Alberton_Magpie said:
Would M.Schumacher be as good as he would of been if senna had of lived and raced for another 6 years?

That is a very good question, and one we will never know the answer to!

Ayrton was, and always will be, a legend. I remember mum coming to wake me up the morning after the race, and woke me with the words "Ayrton Senna died..."

I was only 9 at the time, but loved my F1 and F1 is worse off for not having him involved.

I remember watching it..., of course ch9 didnt have it live and after the race you could tell something wasnt right. I got the shortwave radio (before internet!) and tuned to BBC world service, at about 3 am they said he died. That was the day after Ratzenberger died and that was a big shock as it was. It was another huge shock 2 weeks later Wendlinger had a bad accident in practice at Monaco and was in a coma. It was really bizarre, all of a sudden drivers didnt walk away from accidents anymore.

1994 started weird anyway, everyone thought Senna would spank everyone but at Brazil Schu and Benetton surprised everyone and won easily, Senna spun in 2nd place near the end of the race - that didnt happen often. At Aida Senna got caught up in a pile up at the start and Schu won again. So at Imola Senna was real desperate ( It turned out later Senna knew Benetton were cheating) to stay in front. It was shaping up as an epic battle. Williams cleary had the best cars 95-97 so I think Senna could have won those years before retiring.
It was an end of a great era in F1 when he died.

Since Damon Hill got within 1 point of Schuey in 94, imagine how easily Senna would have won that season. Then in 95 the Williams would probably have been even better then it turned out because Senna's feedback would probably be better then Hill and Coulthard. So he probably could have won the title from 94-97.

Ayrton was, and always will be, a legend. I remember mum coming to wake me up the morning after the race, and woke me with the words "Ayrton Senna died..."

I was only 9 at the time, but loved my F1 and F1 is worse off for not having him involved.[/QUOTE]

at the time i was only 6 but i knew a fair bit about racing cars 4 sum1 that age. i was lucky enough to meet senna wen i was 3 yrs old in hospital as he was doing sum charity work in the ronald mcdonald house where i was and he was an extremely nice man and left me wiv that memory for life. i was allowed to stay up and watch that san marino gp and wen i saw that crash i knew sumthing wasnt rite, he didint get up. there is no doubt in my mind that he would have won every title till 97 and who knows maybe we would be talking about schuey breaking his records not prosts. sorry 4 the long post but i felt it was necessary

I still miss Senna, I was 12 when he was killed and he was my sporting hero. It was the one race of that season that I missed. We had been out & when I came home I saw Murray Walker being interviewed on BBC World Service TV talking about Ayrton Senna's death. I was absolutely gutted. I set up a little shrine of all my Senna Books, Posters, Shirts, etc in my room. I still think he was the best ever, F1 wasn't the same without him for the next few years.

I felt the same way about Greg Moore after he was killed. He was brilliant & I was and still am a huge fan of his. I have a great shot of him driving through the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca as the Wallpaper on my work PC at the moment. I feel he had the potential to win it all - CART Championship, Indy 500, F1 World Championship. Even today Champ Car Racing & Open Wheel Racing as a whole is still missing something for the loss of Greg Moore.

Agree with you on Greg Moore. He was a better driver than Helio and would have had a lot of wins with Penske.
He was good on all courses and I remember when he won his first race at Milwaukee, which made him the youngest winner ever.
Theres a picture of him at California in his last race going 4 wide on the outside because he needed to get to the front since he injured his hand in qualifying.

I was still really young when Senna died, but I had the utmost pleasure of seeing, in person, one of his finest drives at Donington and then I saw his finest ever drive, when we were back in Australia after being in England for a funeral.

Ayrton - THE greatest ever.

From the time I was 6 I was an absolute F1 freak...loved it. I was about 13 at the time and he was my most disliked driver....couldnt stand him at all...but even I was upset when, like Dasher, my mum woke me up and said that Senna had died. Total emptiness. Immediately thought back to his wonderful battles with Prost and Mansell and thought his battles with Schumacher over the next couple of years would have been close to the best of them all.

No I dont really miss him as I never liked him. Yes Schumacher still would have been as good as he is if Senna had raced till however long he would have raced till. I think 94 was showing a changing of the guard anyway and dont think Senna would have won the championship that year.

That weekend was terrible tho. Could not even think of being a weekend as awful as that ever again. Ratzenberger dies, Barrichello was lucky not to die in his huge crash, Senna died and a mechanic died after Michele ALberetos wheel came off in the pitlane and hit someone. Then Wendligner in a coma at the next meet. Terribly sad time.

I was really upset over Greg Moore dieing as he was my favourite Indy driver at the time. Agree that he was an awesome talent and could have been anything. Thinking of that crash still makes me ill....sickening collision

10291085_647123555368047_841115524337165_n.jpg

This photo speaks a thousand words. Look at the body language of the three men. One man is an open respectful stance towards the crowd.. The other two clearly have something to hide other than their arrogance. Two of these guys turned into their direct opponents to win a formula one world title, no surprises here that they both have the same body language.

10291085_647123555368047_841115524337165_n.jpg

This photo speaks a thousand words. Look at the body language of the three men. One man is an open respectful stance towards the crowd.. The other two clearly have something to hide other than their arrogance. Two of these guys turned into their direct opponents to win a formula one world title, no surprises here that they both have the same body language.
FFS you post some stupid s**t.

started watching f1 early to mid 80s, the first race i remember watching in full was the 84 monaco gp, the one where senna and bellof were flying through the field in the wet. early on you could tell how good senna was, bellof died at spa in a sportscar race a year later so never really got to see how far he could go but senna moved from toleman to lotus for the 85 season. back then the family decided to pick drivers to support which i chose alboreto and senna. later in the year we decided to pick teams instead so i went for ferrari as they were the team i was most interested in, but i always had a soft spot for senna. people dying in f1 wasnt anything new to anyone, villeneuve, paletti, de angelis, other f1 drivers like bellof, winkelhock all died a few years within each other, but it had been a few years until ratzenberger died so that was a shock to everyone, the following day at the moment sennas car hit the wall ill never forget that i said to myself 'oh no now sennas dead'. even though it hadnt been announced before when i woke the next day my mum told me senna had died, i just said i know, i was pretty distraught at the time and like all f1 fans, even all sports fans it was a moment that noone will forget. changed the sport forever though, the safety measures taken place, changing the tracks, giving the drivers more support around the head area means that today 20 years later there hasnt been a fatality in f1 since.
no doubt there were more championships left in him, whether he could beat schumacher in the benetton or not we will never know, but maybe had he still been around it may have been senna who moved to ferrari in 96 instead of schuey, who knows, probably not but we will never know, sadly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disliked him a lot then, and a lot now, this international sympathy industry that has sprung up.

There have been a lot of great multiple champions. They all deserve respect.
A lot of bad accidents in the old days also... Gillies for instance.

Villeneuves accident was one of the more horrific

Since Damon Hill got within 1 point of Schuey in 94, imagine how easily Senna would have won that season. Then in 95 the Williams would probably have been even better then it turned out because Senna's feedback would probably be better then Hill and Coulthard. So he probably could have won the title from 94-97.

Sat it on Pole for the first 3 races, he retired in each of them with Schumi winning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back