Backyard Cricket Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Had a particularly good game of BYC on Australia Day.

You need a swinging ball and auto-wicky is a freaking gun. Catches it no matter how short or high it's going through!

Did anyone else pick a player to be auto-wicky

I remember nicking it in a game and claiming that the auto-wicky was Geriant Jones so I wasn't out

Had a tiny walkway turned into a pitch with windows on the leg side. Drives and cuts galore

My pitch was out the front, littered with stones, part grass and part dirt. It was about a day 100 pitch but it always made it more interesting and hilarious when i would bowl the one that didn't spin, ended up hitting a rock, and becoming the ball of the century! No one hand one bounce s**t or not being able to be out first ball, this cricket was very competitive. The gutters on the other side of the road were used as boundaries and different rules were made depending on the amount of players.

One of the funniest stories was when my brother was on around 96, about to get his first ever front yard 100, one of my brothers friends bowled the ball, it hit a root (maybe) near my brother and ballooned back up to the bowler, we celebrated wildly claiming that he was out, my brother couldn't believe it, "it hit the f***ing root!", we weren't having any of it, he was left extremely frustrated but i can't remember what his exact reaction was, just that it was 3 vs 1 and he wasn't winning the argument! To this day, my brother still can't believe he was called out.

One summer we made a carpet pitch with a sort of small mini set of nets made from chicken wire and 6ft star pickets. Played with old indoor balls, got a lot of spin of it. Was a bit uneven in patches but we opted in not levelling so you could get some natural variation of it.

lol, does anyone remember those ads had on summer and they would show the Aussies' backyards they played on growing up and they would be massive and lawn covered. Then they would say no wonder always beat England and then they showed what Flintoff probably had as a kid portrayed as a dingy tiny narrow alley with a pair of stumps painted on a brick wall. Then the Kiwi one was a paddock with knee high weeds, pissing down with rain with a couple of sheep and stumps made out of tree sticks lol.

It's something I reckon we often take for most of us live with plenty of space, a Pom over on BigCricket reckons he often gets young kids that turn up were he plays and they have hardly ever even bowled a ball... It's also is seen of a more upper class in sports and football hogs all the space.

My yard was narrow and long, 12M pitch, bowling uphill. Six and out only enforced if the batsman couldn't retrieve the ball, and 3 of our 6 neighbours (including diagonals) had large, nasty dogs!

Used to play in a park next to a mates place. Had some crazy rules that if you cleared the road, it was 25, and clearing the straight fence was 50. Also, landing on top of a nearby power pole was 1 million, which was achieved once!

I played a good variation with my brother called pool cricket. We used stress balls as they pitched off the water as a cricket ball would. We had a good 5m run up so you could get some decent pace up. To really spice things up, we used a boogie board to make the water choppy, made some seriously variable bounce.

I played a good variation with my brother called pool cricket. We used stress balls as they pitched off the water as a cricket ball would. We had a good 5m run up so you could get some decent pace up. To really spice things up, we used a boogie board to make the water choppy, made some seriously variable bounce.
Your brother sounds cool.

image.jpg image.jpg

Pitch at my old mans shack, scene of some epic encounters!

Auto wicky and slips a must (anything right of brick Barbie)

Shack, boat or cars on the full and your gone!

Pull shot into the creek is gone and your a also prick who lost the ball!

Kennys house/yard (cow corner) is six and out (RIP Kenny)

The two Gum Trees also made good goals in the winter!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back